The Other Side Kickstarter

Lucidicide

@-Loki- Don't worry,

just to clarify I'm not salty and fully aware of those points you presented. I just wanted to give some feedback how I perceive things as they unfold :). That is why I gave it the notion of success. As you put it, they don't target me and that even shows that I don't feel engaged. Looking at the Kickstarter page it seems that others are ;), so I guess Wyrd can stomach me just ranting in.

I also think it's great that Wyrd introduces a new system, why? Because it can influence Malifaux. Again, I am excited if those plug in bases can bring sth. to the Malifaux world...

The benefit of me ranting in? I don't know, though I guess generally feedback is appreciated, if it's not just full on Veruca Salt. I said it already on FB, I wish nothing but the best of luck to Wyrd with this endeavor and I am happy for every player finding sth. in the world of Malifaux they might have missed otherwise :). Also this gives Malifaux a little breather and they have more time to cook new juicy choices in Malifaux. So TOS is very much welcome in my book. Maybe they can present even new information on the Kickstarter? Maybe the fluff Team has more in store for us?

Also the "success" quip can be misinterpreted, I mean this fully honest and more as a praise than "I am sad that you probably see it as success".

This was me just voicing in with sth. I believe Wyrd is very much aware off, never the less I felt the urge to type it, since I think it's okay to get some feedback from your established base (though it's also okay to ignore it, if you already have bigger picture in mind ;)).

@-Loki- I don't really think this change or difference should be viewed as a problem because it really isn't, it's just going into the route of a specific design to convey a specific story better. The story of Malifaux is that your working with a small group of characters to adress a battle. The story of TOS is that your working with an army to adress a world war. 

Malifaux consists out of smaller communities who are indeed very characterful, a skirmish game in general allows you to "have the time for" characters. What I mean by this is that deeper tactical choices can be applied more easily if there are less moving parts. The Other Side's intend seems to become an army game and in order to do that within a specific time limit of average game (1-2 hours) you have to cut into character in order to allow for a larger mass. When you compair the two you instantly see how Malifaux is heavily focused on defensive tactical options while TOS seems to be more heavily focused on offensive tactical options. You see this directly reflected in Wd vs no-Wd, making up a rule that 1/3rd of the board is terrain and even give every model 2 Action points so looking for non-Melee choices is always an option. This option is less around in TOS but in TOS you do have many variants to attack, become Gloried and these choices even expand. 

Not every player will enjoy army games, often because they want to be knee deep into characters. Not every player will enjoy skirmish games, often because they want to be knee deep into models. The prime reason as to why I believe Wyrd has chosen this route for TOS and the route for Malifaux is because they fit the storyline better. 

In the years Ive read so many comments on miniature game design and sometimes it seems some players think it's all about the stats and the game is fully grounded from that. From my experience this is almost never the case, you first build up a 'world' then get inspired by that character to design characters. Because of that you will end up with characters who are weaker as others but most often this makes sence in terms of the story line. 

Yeah, I wasn't saying the loss of character was a problem. it's necessary for the type of game. I'm sure the fluff will have plenty of character, but for a game, the more models on the table, the less you want them needing to flip cards to interact or you just end up bogging the game down. Look at 40k's current tables within tables .

The new stretch goals are rather generous. Giving you a full 2 commander list at the $160us commander level if it gets to 450k is some real value for money, which includes a nice variety of stuff from infantry up to cavalry, champions and titans. I was going to do some add ons to flesh out what I was going to get but I think I'll leave it at a Commander pledge.

I don't think we'll get beyond 500k, but even ending there is a nice place.

• Like 3

So the bases were thinned ! This is much better than the first renders. The painter that was chosen for the demo games is also very talented.

The rules also seem amazingly smooth. The mechanics seem simple enough that we can focus on the depth of the scenario (named operations I think).

This will really be the key to the success of the game I guess. If the job is as good as Malifaux's, this is very promising. It makes one want to know more about Operations but...

On 17/12/2016 at 10:14 PM, Aaron said:

I'll go into the Operations in a random update at some point :)

I will eagerly wait then :D

• Like 1