Can you go Henchman less and be competitive?

Anung Un Rama

Playing around with my lists and I thought about the fact that I always look to get a henchman in. is it necessary? can you survive with just and enforcer? Whats your experience been?

I dropped Mortimer from my Nico crew and have been playing competitively and enjoying it. I have been using Sybelle with some Belles but in all honesty I could do without her and thought maybe a couple of enforcers would be better....

I also regularly build Kaeris and Mei without henchmen (though with Carlos arriving soon that may change for Kaeris and I'm starting to sometimes bring Sparks with Mei in certain match ups). As stated by others, the station of the model is less important than what it brings to the table in combination with the master/other models and schemes and strats. But in the case of arcanists it helps to have Howard and Mech Rider, both solid high cost models that happen to enforcers so they may take the spot of the normal henchman.

23 hours ago, Franchute said:

but I guess McCabe would be OK without any henchman.

McCabe with an emissary is perfectly fine with out a henchman. That extra upgrade is no joke. Makes one of the most flexible masters in the game even more bendy. Even with out the emissary, most guild and thunders henchmen may struggle to keep up so leave them in the case.

I really think it comes down to what someone feels a master needs or is missing.  My Neverborn often go Henchmen-less because I can fill what I need in from Minions and Enforcers.  My 10T and Outcasts have done it before.  Same with Marcus.  Even a third of the time my Guild has no henchmen.  In your case with Mort and Nicodem I can see it as you can summon what you need for certain cases and might prefer some sort of hardy model to serve a front line role instead.

Now mind you I had started to take more henchmen and Enforcers with the 2016 schemes as Show of Force and Hunting Party are pretty common.  Having two models that can do Show of Force has been useful for either getting it or trying to deny it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Morgs said:

McCabe with an emissary is perfectly fine with out a henchman. That extra upgrade is no joke. Makes one of the most flexible masters in the game even more bendy. Even with out the emissary, most guild and thunders henchmen may struggle to keep up so leave them in the case.

Most of the henchmen don't struggle as much if you give them the nimble upgrade since that's 8-9" extra movement. I frequently use henchmen with McCabe, both Ryle and Francisco for example (although he does do well without them too).

On 12/12/2016 at 5:49 AM, Myyrä said:

It depends more on the individual models than henchman status TBH. Colette and Hoffman for example can build very nasty lists without any henchmen. They tend to bring multiple enforcers though.

Which ones are your favourite enforcers for Hoffman?

short answer: yes

long answer: the question should be more properly read as "does your faction have competitive henchmen in it, and what roles do they play?"  Some factions have very useful henchmen who have abilities/actions that make them viable regardless of master - they are so ubiquitous that its hard for many people to ignore them when building lists.

Other factions have henchmen that are good at some particular jobs, so they can be good, but are not necessary.

Some factions, like my beloved neverborn, have niche henchmen only - as such, you learn to work without any quite quickly.  You certainly don't need them to be competitive.

As others have said, it comes down to what the henchman brings to your crew. If it doesn't bring anything you actually need to complete your schemes and strategies, or to disrupt your opponent's schemes and strategies, then there's little point in taking it.