The faction I'm waiting for...

JDAntoine

4 hours ago, JDAntoine said:

I like your 4 horseman analysis but don't think it applies just yet to The Other Side. I am rather certain it does apply to the 4 Horseman we see in Malifaux allready...
Pale Rider, famine (look of the model)
Dead Rider, death
Hooded Rider, war 
Mechanical Rider, pestilence (summonning)

Actually, the riders of Malifaux are the most similar to the original story that I have seen. Only one horseman is actually names, and that is Death, hence why the others are not refereed to by name. Wikipedia actually refers to them by there horse colors because of this, as well as how vague the book they come from is about them. Although death doesn't actually wield a scythe, usually when I use the character I have him as a necromancer or followed by a killer spirit. He is a collector, he doesn't dirty his own hands. But scythes are cool admittedly.

The first horseman, the Pale Rider, is conquest. Although usually it is death who is said to ride the pale horse, with the first rider on the white horse. He wields a bow (replaced with a gun) and leads forces to conquer lands that are not rightfully theirs. Some think that the first horseman (often reffered to as conquest because of how he is spoken of) is actually the anti-christ, which would explain why he fights with the guild despite his obvious neverborn originating powers. He wants his former people to bow against an oppresor.

The second is a man on a red horse (he had a red horse in first edition) with a sword who forces men to fight their brothers, and is often reffered to as war. I should note that this is civil war rather than external war, him becoming the aspect of all war didn't occur until later. He is mentioned as carrying a sword, and is obviously the hooded rider.

Finally famine, sure she doesn't have any debuffs, but she forces you to waste resources on her summons. Famine is mentioned as carrying a pair of scales, and usually rides a black horse, just like she did in first edition.

The dead rider is death, nothing to it.

@Xavian and Deathgrip
I think the Malifaux Horsemen are just a wonderful mix of Horsemen that also represent something akin to the 4 Horsemen. Their look and functionality all seems to be slightly different but also influenced. I do think that the Pale Rider represents Famine, but it doesn't matter too much. It's just something of the alternate dimension called Malifaux.

The fact that the Dead Rider rides a Unicorn is pure epicness offcourse. 

I also know of the Undying Tzar, but only because young Thor fought with him a couple of times. Back in the day where Thor was more like Conan, punching horses, fighting snitches, getting stiches, that kind of thing... :D 

Edit: We also need a Wonky Willy with a Chocolate Reign. 

So, thoughts...

3 Kingdoms make sense, but I can understand not bringing them in at the start. The 4 factions are all unique, and while they can be recognized as from the world of Malifaux, they are not "Malifaux factions blown up into big".

Starting with 4 is fine, especially since we don't know how many unit variations there'll be, so I'm not worried about boredom.

The Guild showing up would make sense, and I'm fine with it, as I think 1 or 2 crossover factions, or a sampling of units showing up from Malifaux could make sense. 

Also also (also!) what I'm curious about is... magic. The Gibbering Gupps come from Malifaux, so possess magic from there, the Cult gets it through portals, Abyssina has a secret stockpile (Am I the only one who thinks of Wakanda when it comes to those guys? :P) and the King's guys don't seem to have too much. So, I'm curious if we're going Earth allegiances with a theme on magic. If 3K show up, they have their own Breach, and Guild could work.... hell Guild could be Malifaux allegiance :D

Oh, and finally.... looking forward to how things change in Malifaux in relation to this. Also, Penny Dreadful with Burning Man in it :D

1 hour ago, horvagab said:

So, thoughts...

3 Kingdoms make sense, but I can understand not bringing them in at the start. The 4 factions are all unique, and while they can be recognized as from the world of Malifaux, they are not "Malifaux factions blown up into big".

Starting with 4 is fine, especially since we don't know how many unit variations there'll be, so I'm not worried about boredom.

The Guild showing up would make sense, and I'm fine with it, as I think 1 or 2 crossover factions, or a sampling of units showing up from Malifaux could make sense. 

Also also (also!) what I'm curious about is... magic. The Gibbering Gupps come from Malifaux, so possess magic from there, the Cult gets it through portals, Abyssina has a secret stockpile (Am I the only one who thinks of Wakanda when it comes to those guys? :P) and the King's guys don't seem to have too much. So, I'm curious if we're going Earth allegiances with a theme on magic. If 3K show up, they have their own Breach, and Guild could work.... hell Guild could be Malifaux allegiance :D

Oh, and finally.... looking forward to how things change in Malifaux in relation to this. Also, Penny Dreadful with Burning Man in it :D

I think in general the Other Side shouldn't be seen as Malifaux factions blown up, instead it's more correct to see Malifaux factions be a splinter of what is happening on Earthside ;) Afterall it's the World versus another continent... 

In general I don't think the Other Side has any chance to become boring, especially not with war campaigns and world control on the line!

Would like to not that the Guild is not a crossover but just the Guild, the guys who where the first to discover the (largest) breach after it closed up. The Guild isn't controled from Malifaux, instead the Malifaux Guild is largely controled by the things that happen on Earthside.

As a result I highly doubt that there will be any form of crossover but influences will be seen nontheless.

Malifaux has a new GG now, the previous one feld like becomming a star ;) 

If we are going to jump into speculation about possible future allegiances:

Malifaux lore has already established that oni and asura are real entities in Earthside. So djinns could be as well, right? Arabian empire with djinn allies would be pretty cool.

Just saying.

Please make it so.

54 minutes ago, Ryökäle said:

Malifaux lore has already established that oni and asura are real entities in Earthside. So djinns could be as well, right? Arabian empire with djinn allies would be pretty cool.

Just saying.

Please make it so.

We already have the Jealous Fire Lord (Banasuva) in Malifaux with Sandeep, seeing more awesome creatures from that stretch of the world would be cool!

• Like 1

Honestly looking back at the other allegiances so far, none really jump out at me. More of a "gothic" horror than a body horror guy, as well as a lover of well-researched myths and legends. But I am interested to see what else is in store for the game. Hopefully canada. I like it when Canada get's acknoledged. Although Russia may be interesting, as may be the other allegiances later revealed.

My bet is that two new allegiances will be stretch goals. With two others being released further down the line in about a couple years or so. I do not think more than 12 allegiances will make an appearance, but my specific guess would be 8. Unless we get word of a third faction types other than earth and malifaux, in which case I have no idea.

On 7.12.2016 at 11:30 PM, Ryökäle said:

Just saying.

Please make it so.

Mecha-steampunk-djinnies punching horses!

• Like 1