December 5th - TOS Allegiances

Lucidicide

The video makes me much more enthousiastic than the previous spoilers.

It is a pity I really have no time nor resources to dedicate to a new game, especially on a scale larger than skirmish (being an overworked father tends to have this kind of effect on people :p).

I will definitely buy the books though, because I am a fluff bunny. I may still have thought about buying minis if there had been a French faction though :p.

1 hour ago, aquenaton said:

I thought the burning man was also on England

I think the correct term is that it appeared first in England. By the looks of it the King's Army has succesfully driven back the masses or somehow keeps them in check...

Obviously I'm not totally certain but the video seems to skim over The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy and the likes when the Burning Man Cult was annouced. Likewise their card seems yellowish and on the map that place is also yellowish. Could be wrong offcourse.

51 minutes ago, yool1981 said:

The video makes me much more enthousiastic than the previous spoilers.

It is a pity I really have no time nor resources to dedicate to a new game, especially on a scale larger than skirmish (being an overworked father tends to have this kind of effect on people :p).

I will definitely buy the books though, because I am a fluff bunny. I may still have thought about buying minis if there had been a French faction though :p.

You'll find the time :D The way the spoilers look to me is that the Captains/Commanders add 25 points, then models can be bought with that (I assume). So what I'm expecting is that we either start with 24 points (without Commander) then for every 25 points can add a C, likely putting the starting level of the game on 50 points but with the option to expand to 75 (with two C's)...

Still just a guess but in terms of actual models I don't think you have to paint the same ammount of masses seen in other compagny games, such as Warmachine or Warhammer even but the option is most certainly there.

The one thing that peaked my interest is that these models are pre-assembled. So I can go directly to the painting table. I love this because many multi-kits arn't really made for conversions (non-GW) anyway. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

I think the correct term is that it appeared first in England. By the looks of it the King's Army has succesfully driven back the masses or somehow keeps them in check...

Obviously I'm not totally certain but the video seems to skim over The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy and the likes when the Burning Man Cult was annouced. Likewise their card seems yellowish and on the map that place is also yellowish. Could be wrong offcourse.

You'll find the time :D The way the spoilers look to me is that the Captains/Commanders add 25 points, then models can be bought with that (I assume). So what I'm expecting is that we either start with 24 points (without Commander) then for every 25 points can add a C, likely putting the starting level of the game on 50 points but with the option to expand to 75 (with two C's)...

Still just a guess but in terms of actual models I don't think you have to paint the same ammount of masses seen in other compagny games, such as Warmachine or Warhammer even but the option is most certainly there.

The one thing that peaked my interest is that these models are pre-assembled. So I can go directly to the painting table. I love this because many multi-kits arn't really made for conversions (non-GW) anyway. 

I'll be very interested to see what the model count and recommended playing area are. I'm a Skirmish gamer at heart but if TOS doesn't go too crazy with numbers of models on the table i might check it out.

Like yool1981 I'm an overworked husband/father and I don't have enough time for the games I'm already playing. On the other hand that video was inspirational and who needs sleep?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

I'll be very interested to see what the model count and recommended playing area are. I'm a Skirmish gamer at heart but if TOS doesn't go too crazy with numbers of models on the table i might check it out.

Like yool1981 I'm an overworked husband/father and I don't have enough time for the games I'm already playing. On the other hand that video was inspirational and who needs sleep?

4' by 4' if the blurry picture of GMort isn't lying to me. I think it's a Skirmish Army game, meaning you have much more models as Malifaux but not that much more as you see in Warmachine for example.

I'm just guessing here but if the Commanders/Captains give +25 Scrip (and they do), you could expect 50 points or 75 to be the norm. The spoiled Titans for example only are 8 points, the soldier models seem to range from 5-9 (per 3). So if I'd had to make a calculated guess it could be somewhere around 20-30 models ranging from small to big.

What I really love though is that the models come pre-esembled. Obviously this is a pro and con but for most casual players and competative players I think this is only a bless. Perhaps the die-hard detailed painters will not like it but generally armies painted on that level are not regular to do for such painters.

@JDAntoine The game is played on a six by four board.

(From the ToS page under game play. )

I suspect that the table size and ''light scattered terrain'' are to allow us to manoeuvre the multi-model bases around.

I second the comment on the King's Empire models looking a bit long in the leg and arm department.  That seems to be the case when looking at the art  ompared to any if Wyrd''s models, though. The humans often look a bit spindly to me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Souleater said:

@JDAntoine The game is played on a six by four board.

(From the ToS page under game play. )

I suspect that the table size and ''light scattered terrain'' are to allow us to manoeuvre the multi-model bases around.

I second the comment on the King's Empire models looking a bit long in the leg and arm department.  That seems to be the case when looking at the art  ompared to any if Wyrd''s models, though. The humans often look a bit spindly to me. 

Thank you! Yeah that blurry picture really only showed a 4 but 6' x 4' means that the game size is much larger as I initially expected it to be. 

As you said I agree on the terrain, it's also logical to do this because having another Skirmish-esque game would really mix too much with Malifaux. 

Thanks for the additional info!

I get that the terrain will have to be lighter than Malifaux due to the number and size of units on the board. I just hope that terrain will be vital to game play and not relegated to "2 small hills near the center" as happens far to frequently in other army-scale games.

9 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

I get that the terrain will have to be lighter than Malifaux due to the number and size of units on the board. I just hope that terrain will be vital to game play and not relegated to "2 small hills near the center" as happens far to frequently in other army-scale games.

If the Gibbering Hordes are an indication it will. Altough I expect more 'flat' terrain in the form of tokens. 120 mm tokens, 80 mm tokens, basically enough to hinder Titans and Fire Teams but less to hinder 'solo models'. The thing with massive army games is that you always have to comprimise for terrain. As soon as there are 'units' and larger models you will run into the problems a 'realistic' hill or forest will cause.

If your into games for the realistic scenics I think Malifaux will continue to deliver but I expect The Other Side to be more heavy on game-scenics, tokens, less buildings etc. As the board is still 6x4 I'd say 2-3 impassible terrain pieces and 2-3 rough terrain pieces would be allright to start out with, armies who want more would likely have to create it themselves...

2 hours ago, Souleater said:

Flat terrain is a thing now. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea but it does save balancing models (or unit bases) in a precarious manner.

For folks that are drawn into preassembled armies would flat, pre-printed terrain be ano the plus?

Absolutely true, granted I still think a mix of both increases the fun in the gaming experience. All flat is very boring and makes some tactical choices less instinctive to make. Such as the movement over forests, which you otherwise wouldn't forget. 

I personally love the idea of preassembled armies but less of only flat terrain. If it makes sence to be flat, it's allright. But some 3d trees, walls and ruins are still very welcome. 

Seriously, can't stop watching this video. I'm torn between The King's Empire and The Cult of The Burning Man.

Thank you Wyrd for setting the standard! Your miniatures are awesome and I'm really looking forward to playing something on a bigger scale again. 

I dumped so much money in PP for years and finally gave up due to the subpar quality of their miniatures since switching to plastic/resin. So again, THANK YOU!

• Like 3

Hm....first I wasn't that enthusiastic like the majority here. First thought was, that it doesn't look like the style that I'm used to Wyrd products. But after watching the video again and again and again....there was only one thought when i saw the Cult, "I REALLY want to paint them!" xD

So I will give it a try, the gameplay sounds interesting and my sister will pledge the KS anyway.  So it will be Cult for me. :D