Markers under bases?

Melkirich

Question

The F.A.Q. already clarifies that a model may not place a marker underneath itself:

If a model is placing a Marker in base contact with itself and the Marker is Ht 0, can the Marker be placed underneath the model’s base?

No. The Marker must be placed touching the model’s base, but not overlapping it.

But I've had a good look through the F.A.Q. and core rules and I cannot find any mention of placing markers underneath other models.

The issue came up during a game a game when my model with finish the job died and I wanted to place a scheme marker in a useful position, but the only useful positions were blocked by the thing that had just killed it... it came up again another time with Lucious using Guild Intelligence, but my Pathfinder couldn't plant explosives anyway because he was surrounded... although I guess it's also an issue for things like Web markers/McTavish's screen/Lilith's forests, and definitely an issue for models that die and are supposed to drop a corpse or scrap marker.

I have been told that markers cannot be placed underneath other models because the rules only give permission to place the marker, they do not give permission to pick up a model, and with a model already on the table where the marker is supposed to go there is no physical way to place the marker underneath it without picking up the model (...or even just tilting it).

But that seems a weak argument to me, especially because some markers are not optional (corpse/scrap), and also because Wyrd clarified that you cannot place a marker underneath your own base this to me looks like the exception that proves the rule, by stating that models cannot place markers underneath themselves they have implied that that markers can normally be placed underneath models.

Either way I would just like this clarified, if it's not allowed to place markers underneath models I can make use out of that myself during games, e.g. surround the mindless zombie then kill it, but there's no way I'm doing that if I'm not convinced that's really the rule.

I have been informed that this forum is the place to put the question so that Wyrd will hopefully see it and mention it in a future F.A.Q. And anyone's free to comment of course, and if anyone does manage to find a more concrete answer than "don't touch my models" already printed in the rules that'll be even better.

1 answer to this question