Which models have frustrated you to build?

Raclesis

On 12/5/2016 at 4:55 AM, sycorax said:

10T thunder archer heads (4 pieces for a head! A head!) were a particular grievance

I'm not sure if this was a miscast, or I was just being stupid but the razorspine rattler did not want to sit together properly. Especially around its hood. Had to file and greenstuff to make it work.  

F***ing these! my rattler is still missing a head because of this.

As for other models, I somehow managed to break two out of four of the wires for my strongarm suit.

As for just confusing to assemble, I just kind of guessed about most of the random bits on the Hodgepodge emissary.

• 3 months later...

definitely agree with the hanged rope

nearly threw the gaki across the room trying to assemble them!

one of the fire garmins from kaeris's box is still in bits waiting to be assembled- prob never going to happen as prob not going to use them ever 

Just finished my Titania box and everything other than the Gorar felt like it was in too many pieces, but Aeslin in particular was a nightmare. 

I doubt I will ever find something that tops the Insidious Madnesses though. And that is also after putting together Yan Lo and his beard. 

• Like 1

Agreed completely on Aeslin specifically. Especially worse because she won't get used often. Madnesses were bad just because they're an indiscriminate shape so they're a little difficult (for me at least) to figure out what goes where. 

On 12/11/2016 at 9:14 PM, AverageBoss said:

Goryo...everything Goryo.

This, so much this.   The squatting down Goryo has the distinction of being the only model I've managed to accidentally TOTALLY DESTROY while trying to do final assembly.   I  thought leaving the ghosts off would make painting easier "and I could just put them on later!"...   no.  No you cannot put them on later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clement said:

This, so much this.   The squatting down Goryo has the distinction of being the only model I've managed to accidentally TOTALLY DESTROY while trying to do final assembly.   I  thought leaving the ghosts off would make painting easier "and I could just put them on later!"...   no.  No you cannot put them on later.

Yes and then some...previously thought  that Necrotic Machine was as fiddly as it would get...until the Goryo ...I didn't get as far as the squatting down one....I'm still in two minds about glueing the spirits onto the standing one but after trying a dry fit I can see how difficult it will be to paint as one piece but also the nightmare to come if I try and add the spirits after painting the figure.....one more thing though.....a fantastic looking model that I am still convinced will prove to be worth the effort

18 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

Yes and then some...previously thought  that Necrotic Machine was as fiddly as it would get...until the Goryo ...I didn't get as far as the squatting down one....I'm still in two minds about glueing the spirits onto the standing one but after trying a dry fit I can see how difficult it will be to paint as one piece but also the nightmare to come if I try and add the spirits after painting the figure.....one more thing though.....a fantastic looking model that I am still convinced will prove to be worth the effort

for the standing up one, I glued the right spirit (when looking at him from the front) onto the model.  The arm that touches the middle spirit got glued onto the middle spirit.  Then I painted the two spirits separate from the rest of the model and each other.   With some fiddling (and a few terrifying moments of feeling like I was going to break his belt off) I managed to get the whole thing together.  Only required some minor touch ups to hide the gaps and scraps from forcing it together.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Regarding the Goryo - can you realistically leave the ghosts off of the model? Will it still fit without huge gaps or problems? I can't quite tell from the renders. 

In theory you could....but it will involve removing some of the sculpt on the shoulder of the standing one and some filling in both models...I maintain that both models will eventually prove to be well worth the effort as the standing Goryo and accompanying spirits is nothing short of spectacular as a model in its own right...but you will need to take a deep breath and a couple of patience pills before getting out the sprue cutters ;)

I don't love how busy they look with the spirits. Maybe one, but three is overkill for the model. Plus I find that big models, even when they aren't omg good, tend to get targeted more quickly. I'd rather stealth them in by looking less brutal, ;)

I might play with having the spirits coming out of the ground near them on the base though. I might prefer that. Or just use them as alternate Seishin models for friendly play. I like how they look much better. 

If you poke around online, there's a few pictures of people who've made the Goryo but left the ghosts off in their entirety.  They look...  kinda boring honestly.   Without the spirits or some other indicator that you've done something, they look like Onryo who put their hair up and grabbed a sword.  

• Like 1

Malifaux is my first miniatures war game. I have done plenty of model building (a lot of Gundam models when I was a kid), and an art/design student at one point. I'm used to doing a lot with my hands.

So, I went for Outcasts. Sue sold me on the entire game. He was pretty easy to put together and thought this would be fairly decent.

Then, I ran into Hamelin. Wasn't bad but took forever.

Then, there's the Hodgepodge Emissary. So many fidly bits!

Abuela's hat. The three little skulls are on a single  piece that ought to fit in a corresponding slot in the hat brim. Had to gouge huge hole in brim to get it to fit then copious miliput needed to fill gaps afterwards

On this occasion, three separate skulls would have been much easier to attach to the hat.

Also, brass arachnid was tricky to position as intended.