The King's Empire Discussion

Parker Barrows

I saw some interesting things in the King's Empire splat and figured I'd start the discussion.

1. It seems that the British have kicked out the Guild. I am curious on whether this was before or after the Burning Man appeared. Regardless, this is a major shift in the power structure of the story.

2. I think the cunning tactics bit in their description indicates that they may Stratagem Allegiance. Burning Man will be first Faction, but depending on how the Stratagems work, the King's Empire may be my second..

Edited by Parker Barrows
Poor editing of my first line lead it to being incomprehensible.

3 hours ago, Pyrflamme said:

I think plenty of Guild fans out there will like Empire - if more for the aesthetics than the fact said Empire is aligning against the Guild. The others have more novel aesthetics though, so I think that's what's driving chatter about them right now.

I like them, but if I wind up playing this game too, I may be more inclined not to paint more stern men with guns as I already have plenty of Guild. We'll see though!

3 hours ago, Wolfpact said:

Honestly, I love the Empire's aesthetic.

Just love the Cult's more. But Empire's my second place so far.

It's a little tough to pick the "British Army" look as your favourite when the other choices are Eldritch Horrors, Warped Lunatics and the Afro-Futurist Empire. The others all have the advantage of being fanciful and overstated, while the King's Empire are more grounded and sedate.

Solid second place, though. :)

The Kings Empire are definitely the most "normal" looking Allegiance. But if nothing else, it provides the game-world with an aesthetic baseline from which other allegiances can branch out from. Basically the Cult or Abyssinia wouldn't look quite so striking if they didn't have the Kings Empire to compare to. If that makes any sense. :)

There's definitely going to be a part of the community who prefers to play the humble human faction in a world full of monsters, death machines and psychopaths. Of course the British Empire theme doesn't hurt either! 

Personally, the Kings Empire is growing on me. It was initially the Allegiance I was least interested in but I'm now seeing a WW1 Trench warfare aesthetic starting to come through, which is very appealing. Then there's the giant stompy robot in the background of the KE page. If that's their Titan then that'll be a big drawcard as far as I'm concerned. :D

In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to this Kickstarter!

• Like 6

I'll probably wind up going Empire or Cult, depending on how stratagems and all of the mechanics work. There's something to be said for being the "normal" ones in the middle of all the insanity. I'd be more into Abyssinia, but the super long helmet plumes on the render are a turn-off.

3 hours ago, Psientologist said:

All I know is that the King's Empire have the most gundam like mech so they're my pick.

Ah, but if they're pre-assembled, can they be said to be Gundam-esque at all? :P

On November 29, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Pyrflamme said:

I think plenty of Guild fans out there will like Empire - if more for the aesthetics than the fact said Empire is aligning against the Guild.

Rebellion against the Guild is more of a filthy Arcanist agenda anyway--

(Fortunately for us all, before Gnomezilla can pursue that train of thought further into devotion to all stompybots KE, her henchman donates just enough of his duct tape to keep her mouth shut.)

6 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Ah, but if they're pre-assembled, can they be said to be Gundam-esque at all? :P

Rebellion against the Guild is more of a filthy Arcanist agenda anyway--

(Fortunately for us all, before Gnomezilla can pursue that train of thought further into devotion to all stompybots KE, her henchman donates just enough of his duct tape to keep her mouth shut.)

I have gunpla for building and miniatures for painting, that me and my hobbies anyhow.

Also being more Arcanist than Guild is another tick in the box for me.

3 hours ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

Empire and the Cult are running side by side on who to pick if I pick anything. It all depends on the models and rules. Big stompybots and giant guns have their appeal, as does using a terrible British accent while playing. My force might just be proxy criminals-I mean Australians. 

As an Aussie, I endorse this. 

• Like 3

On 30-11-2016 at 2:08 AM, Parker Barrows said:

I saw some interesting things in the King's Empire splat and figured I'd start the discussion.

1. It seems that the British have kicked out the Guild. I am curious on whether this was before or after the Burning Man appeared. Regardless, this is a major shift in the power structure of the story.

2. I think the cunning tactics bit in their description indicates that they may Stratagem Allegiance. Burning Man will be first Faction, but depending on how the Stratagems work, the King's Empire may be my second..

I really like their look aswell, but as can be guessed I'm waiting for the arrival of the Guild.
As to your very clear points: 

1. I think the Guild was kicked out during the appearance of the Burning Man as something like it can certainly cause mass hysteria and if you want to break a chain of command you can do this under such circumstances. The video mentioned the Guild's reign was over and I think the guess can be made that they said this because the Guild did not awnser the effect the Burning Man was causing in the United Kingdom so they where left on their own devices to do so. Any help during such situation is welcome so I believe that the Kings Empire has proven themselves to be the real leader and hero for the United Kingdom instead of the lacking Guild.

2. I'd certainly pick them both up if you like both looks! There is very little that can go wrong here, to me Wyrd has proven themselves over the years. I do think that in comparison to Malifaux some additional tactical depth might be missing but this is logical for a larger miniature numbered game/army game instead of skirmish game. 

In extension I also think that the Guild reign used to cover UK to Russia and practically every country in between. However the appearances of horrors on Earthside has shown that the Guilds military arm went soft and thus the supression they had broke when 'horrors' hit the fan. 

Yet!

I'M wondering what's up with India.... in Sandeep's story, it was Guild controlled, but KE is also mentioned as having it, so that means... the Guild lot a whole lot of space. I assume the KE was already thinking of getting out of Guild yoke, but the Burning Man gave a good opportunity to do so.

• Like 2