Welcome to The Other Side!

Lucidicide

Thank you for the video.

This cements the King's Empire as my go to faction.

Maybe CBM as a second.

The sample cards seem to show that Wyrd want to see the armies working on the table in accordance to their fluff - e.g. GIB's not only getting to recycle models but move them double distance when they do (so that they can actually get back to the fight)

I'm going to scrape together some cash for this but I really, really need to see production samples of at least one or two models before I put too much into this.

I have seen a couple of CBM models but I think they were resin masters. (I would be very happy to be corrected on that.) 

Resin Masters, Renders and concept art are analogous to "Lies, Damned lies and statistics." In my opinion.

But this does look very interesting. I am quite dumbfounded that there isn't more interest in this already!?!

• Like 1

I swear I only have more questions now, haha.  Will Glory only last the one turn?  What does the TA number on the bottom left of the cards mean?  Are Assets basically Upgrades?  Scrip seems pretty obviously equivalent to points costs, with between 4 and 25 (looking at Cult) per model how big will the "standard" game size be?  There's 30, 40, and 50mm models being described as "plug" bases (I assume meaning they go on movement bases), will you be able to mix and match fully what models goes in each of your Fireteams?  Will the Kickstarter have a little demo showing how the game's played?  Gah, so much I want to know!

Needless to say, I'm planning on dropping a lot of money on Wyrd's head next week.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Interoragtive: We saw a couple of CBM models earlier in the year. Were they 'production' models or resin 'masters'?

I ask because coming from PP I am a little leary of PVC. 

As they where displayed with Malifaux resin master models my assumption is that they where masters.

PVC comes in many qualities and while I also play other games ;)  I also know that qualities from another compagny are not the halmark of PVC quality that exists. Other compagnies have been improving but I'm willing to make a bet that Wyrd isn't going to go for the 'cheapest of cheap re-used PVC' for their new products.

At the same time I also wonder if the game is also spells a smaller slowdown of Malifaux (I wouldn't mind), by large because I know how much time another full scale game like this eats up your day. On top of that I also feel that Malifaux almost covered all parts that used to be precieved as a 'faction's weakness' or 'faction's identity'. With for example Guild only really needing something for the Guardsman and a Gamin orientated Master for Arcanists would also pretty much cover al of this.

By no means am I going to start doom and gloom but it does feel like a great time for The Other Side to appear now as opposed to a few years ago :D .

Thought we might aswell share this again: http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.nl/2016/08/wyrd-games-at-gencon-2016.html

Found on the fantastic reviewer website of GMorts

The+Other+Side+%25281%2529.jpg
OVERVIEW
The Other Side is a streamlined game intended to be easy to pick up and learn while still providing an exciting tactical playing experience for players.
The epic battles thaking place across the Earth are played out on 4'x4' with scattered light terrain.
[Alterating] activations keep you involved in the action every step of the way while a five turns game keeps the fighting quick and bloody. The average game lasts about two hours.
The Other Side is won and lost by how well your troops complete their missions, creating an ebb and flow to the battle as objectives are secretly contested troughout the game.

The+Other+Side+%25285%2529.jpg

The+Other+Side+%25283%2529.jpg

The+Other+Side+%25282%2529.jpgThe+Other+Side+%25284%2529.jpg 

The renders for the unit bases look pretty chunky. Will the production version be a little more discreet? The current Malifaux bases are deep enough imho, I like my minis to look at home on the tabletop rather than standing on a thick plinth.

Really looking forward to the KS. Depending on pricing I may have to get every faction. :D

That's some fantastic news, I wouldn't have expected otherwise as we all know the visual impact of the oddity in bases when it comes to collecting armies and have some models on whole other bases. It's frustrating really.

I know it's early to ask but is the base line going to be?
- 30 mm (single and plug)
- 40 mm (single and plug)
- 50 mm (single and plug)
- 80 mm (plug hole base)
- 120 mm (single and plug hole base)

In any case you guys won me over for the most part, only 1 faction I want ;)

I've been trying to figure out some of the new stuff:

Assets seem to essentially be upgrades.

The new triggers with the number in a circle e.g. (3) I think mean that either the fireteam you're hitting or the team you're in has to have that many members.  Not sure about that one.

Each leader has a "TA" value, I assume are tactics points/cards.

The card stat values are speed, defence, willpower and armour

Can't really figure out how wounds work or even if the game has them, is a unit just dead if you beat the armour value by how much you beat them in the duel + damage of the attack?  Most things seem to have a set 1-3 damage with some being higher, nothing seems to be much greater than 5 in specific circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Manic Mouse said:

I've been trying to figure out some of the new stuff:

Assets seem to essentially be upgrades.

The new triggers with the number in a circle e.g. (3) I think mean that either the fireteam you're hitting or the team you're in has to have that many members.  Not sure about that one.

Each leader has a "TA" value, I assume are tactics points/cards.

The card stat values are speed, defence, willpower and armour

Can't really figure out how wounds work or even if the game has them, is a unit just dead if you beat the armour value by how much you beat them in the duel + damage of the attack?  Most things seem to have a set 1-3 damage with some being higher, nothing seems to be much greater than 5 in specific circumstances.

More guesses from me (which are likely wrong)

As I see it Assets are indeed upgrades.
Glory is a flipmode for you model's card (new game aspect, basically direct archivement effect).
Tactical Assets (TA) are akin to scenario points (?)
Like Malifaux' Schemes you can become Glory by completing certain Tactical Assets (?)
There is a possibility for Fire Teams to break (new game aspect, basically unit)
Sp, Df, Wp and Ar are indeed what makes up a model. I expect Ar to be a damage reducer.

As is I expect a basic lower damage output as is seen in Malifaux but it's also more effective. For example I expect a Hit (dual against Df or Wp) then both players flip against damage then the defender adds Ar and X models are directly removed from a Fire Team as a consequence. I also expect Fire Teams to be forced to thake a Wp against something when they go below half (thus 2 kills out of 3) to see if they break or not, perhaps that models who have obtained Glory flip back instead.

So yeah, I expect small damage with higher impact instead of Malifaux' high damages with smaller impact. By large because it speeds up the game much more and that's exactly what you want for an army game like The Other Side.

Next week we can draw some final conclusions ;) because then we'll really know. 

4 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

As is I expect a basic lower damage output as is seen in Malifaux but it's also more effective. For example I expect a Hit (dual against Df or Wp) then both players flip against damage then the defender adds Ar and X models are directly removed from a Fire Team as a consequence. I also expect Fire Teams to be forced to thake a Wp against something when they go below half (thus 2 kills out of 3) to see if they break or not, perhaps that models who have obtained Glory flip back instead.

So yeah, I expect small damage with higher impact instead of Malifaux' high damages with smaller impact. By large because it speeds up the game much more and that's exactly what you want for an army game like The Other Side.

However it does mean that bigger units like champions are the titans could be one shot.  I am surmising here, but I think that they can perhaps discard asset cards instead of getting destroyed - which is why the titans seem relatively cheap (8 points) but you give them assets to buff them up and also give them "wounds".

I think that would be pretty cool - because a bit hit would weaken those models, as well as damaging them.

• Like 1

Just now, Manic Mouse said:

However it does mean that bigger units like champions are the titans could be one shot.  I am surmising here, but I think that they can perhaps discard asset cards instead of getting destroyed - which is why the titans seem relatively cheap (8 points) but you give them assets to buff them up and also give them "wounds".

That's exactly what I was also thinking. I expect asset cards to either act as 'shields' or 'manouvres' and abilities. As you said, I think the Titans will have specific Wounds and I think the Commanders will have specific 'Look Out Sir' options to scoot damage over onto Fire Teams. 

Just guessing offcourse. It's also on a 6x4 table, so my previous 4x4 note was false. This suggests an even larger game as I initially suspected. 

• Like 1