Welcome to The Other Side!

Lucidicide

24 minutes ago, retnab said:

Do we know how large the Fireteam movement bases are?  Will all units be in the Fireteam setup?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54fe412ce4b0c449f7369857/t/583dd60cbe659429d1228071/1480447506673/?format=300w (this is the image taken from the same link as below)

and from https://www.wyrd-games.net/the-other-side/
"The models in The Other Side are 32mm scale with high levels of detail, allowing painters plenty of opportunity to paint their Champions, Squads, and Titans in whatever way they wish."

Read into that what you will :)

13 minutes ago, Fedora said:

The only thing I'm iffy about is the table size. 4x4 seems more common than 4x6 so that's what stores are more likely to have.

That's definitely a skewed sample. 6x4 has outnumbered 4x4 in dedicated wargaming tables in EVERY store I've been dragged to. 4x4 is a multi-purpose table that only got converted to wargaming use.

(I'd like to take a moment to thank Malifaux for being a 3'x3' table. It's much easier for us short people to reach the center even allowing for our cards at the table's edge. An accident, but a happy one.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fedora said:

The only thing I'm iffy about is the table size. 4x4 seems more common than 4x6 so that's what stores are more likely to have.

I think that most stores would have 4x6 as its what 40k is played on, though 4x4 in games is certainly more common, 40k is by far the most popular, so most stores that have gaming tables should have at least 1 4x6 table.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Archon said:

"Magic, steampunk, monsters, and soldiers collide to make the battlefields of The Other Side action-packed. In order to get you into the action sooner, every model in The Other Side will come preassembled and ready for play!"

So will the miniatures for this game be PVC like Aionus and the Tortoise and Hare box?

Certainly seems that way.

I'm currently looking at jumping into the kickstarter with 2 allegencies - just gotta pick which 2...

as for the close to christmas timing - that doesn't seem to be harming other kickstarters at the moment (I'm looking at you kingdom death - and that won't even deliver for 4 years!!)  these models look to cool to not jump in for and the stuff that has been posted about the game (e.g. glory mechanic, cool looking fate deck) are building my excitement even more.

I'm looking forward to this one!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joel said:

as for the close to christmas timing - that doesn't seem to be harming other kickstarters at the moment (I'm looking at you kingdom death - and that won't even deliver for 4 years!!)

Kingdong Death will deliver in four waves, the first one next summer and the final wave (which doesn't even have anything in it yet) in 2020. But going against it seems like a bad idea. I mean, it's not my thing (I don't like the exploitation aesthetic they have going on, nor the penises growing from anuses style of body horror) but it looks like there's a lot of people who are into $1700 board games. Certainly way more that I would've thought. Oh, and one would think that many people put their Wyrd money into Black Friday, already. And you're supposed to get Christmas presents as well.

• Like 2

I'm thinking that many people, on seeing this kickstarter, will transfer money from one to the other.  No idea how many, but I'll bet some will.

Also, the money won't be coming out of my pre-christmas budget but my January one, so not a problem.

The other point is that if they leave it until Jan/Feb then can they hit production deadlines in time for August?  I think that delaying 2 months would jepordize that with direct implications for gencon and wyrd's 2017 profitability.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Joel said:

I'm thinking that many people, on seeing this kickstarter, will transfer money from one to the other.  No idea how many, but I'll bet some will.

Also, the money won't be coming out of my pre-christmas budget but my January one, so not a problem.

I guess we'll see once it goes live. But having watched and participated in quite a few Kickstarters, very few bring in the cash consistently - most are very much about the first and last two-three days and any negative days in the middle are often downright catastrophic. So waiting for a mid-KS influx of great monies seems optimistic.

The other point is that if they leave it until Jan/Feb then can they hit production deadlines in time for August?  I think that delaying 2 months would jepordize that with direct implications for gencon and wyrd's 2017 profitability.

Oh aye, I agree that there are other considerations than those I outlined and I would be really surprised if Wyrd hadn't considered all that I said already when they decided on the date. But I think it is still rather unfortunate due to those reasons. I doubt I will be backing (the renders don't excite me and what little there has been about the gameplay doesn't do it for me either) but I really truly wish this game and company all the best and hope that the KS will be a runaway success.

Oh, and Gencon 2017 seems like an optimistic release date if the KS ends in January but I suppose anything is possible.

• Like 1

On December 1, 2016 at 10:06 AM, jphealy said:

This looks so exciting.  I mean there basically is a Wakandan / Black Panter faction.  Uh yes please.

I just want to point a small matter, because calling Abyssinia "basically a Wakandan faction" is probably going to get used to disparage it at some point, when it should be the opposite.

Abyssinia and the Ethopian Empire were real places.  I'm not familiar with the official inspirations for Wakanda, but Abyssinia was one of the few countries to remain independent after the so-called "Rush to Africa".  So this is the alternate history of one of the countries that probably inspired Wakanda at least a little.  'These folks told Italy where to get off, just imagine if they'd had magic/higher technology.' :)  

• Like 4

Question recently popped up in my head: Will a Monday preview before the Kickstarter launch, preview the planned tiers and maybe even their costs?

I've got the gifts all covered and not backing anything else, so I'm likely in for a bunch, but I'm intensely curious. Might also help some other folks plan.

• Like 2

Really a shame on the mid December launch.  Very bad timing for a kickstarter start.  Should be pre thanksgiving (although getting drowned out by KD:M 1.5 would have been a disaster) or after Christmas when people all have money to blow from Christmas.  Sure you may get people to watch the kickstarter but there are a lot of people who will just hit the Follow button and the lackluster kickoff will hurt the project.  I know so far the couple people I talked to will all do the same thing I am.  Click Follow.  Then when I am sure I have the funds secured I may actually pledge (that is of course as long as there isn't any Early Bird deals as I don't back projects with them).  

I may be out of the ordinary but I have backed well over 80 games on kickstarter and know that timing is very important.  Best would have been black friday but again KD:M then next best is after Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa whatever when people are ready to recover from the massive amount of money they spent for those holidays.  A slow simmer kickstarter launch is NOT what gets it moving.  You need that rapid growth and meet a (realistic) goal fast so more people jump in.  Also I know this isn't your first rodeo but not much says "We really didn't need to do a kickstarter but are using this as a pre-order system to take your money and have zero financial liability" than a stupidly low goal.   Stupidly low initial goals mean one of two things.  Company that is using Kickstarter as a Pre-Order system or developer with no clue of what it actually costs to produce a game.

So looking forward to seeing what comes of this but sort of worried about the mid december start date.  Remember start date is just as important as end date.  A lackluster start is far worse than pushing the end date 2 or 3 weeks.

• Like 2