Welcome to The Other Side!

Lucidicide

Honestly, a Three Kingdoms Faction can wind up three different ways.

An actual Three Kingdoms Army. The strike against this is that unlike the two human factions being shown, the Three Kingdoms is pretty beaten down by the Guild. It's more worried about survival than expanding.

A spirit army that is unleashed by Kirai. I think this will be something big. Of course, there's no reason this Court of Two will be necessarily be Three Kingdoms-Themed just because Kirai is doing the raising.

An Oni army. Oni have been everywhere in Ripples of Fate. The Oni Lord being unleashed and raising an oni army seems natural. It's possible the Three Kingdoms will even join it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Akai said:

Out of the four allegiances, Abyssinia seems the most different aesthetically to what I have seen in Malifaux...almost on the verge of a  science fiction look.

Which would make since since they have been using soulstones MUCH longer than anyone else, and on top of that were relatively untouched by the Black Powder Wars and the Guild.

They have long had access to powers everyone else has sought for themselves, and nothing but time with which to figure them out.

• Like 1

If it begins in Mid-December that means I have the holidays to make up for my black friday fiasco, so thats nice. Looking forward to finding out more information but so far I really like the Cult and Gibbering Hordes the most. I like the idea of Abyssinia but I kind of lean towards magic/weirdness over steampunk/future tech, and Guild fatigue has lowered some of my interest in the Empire. 

That crab monster and dragon though <3 

28 minutes ago, Stark said:

Great! I look forward to start KS!))
Even though I like the Empire, the fact of absence my beloved Guild is very upset me(( Where is the Guild?(

Most likely the guild is not in this game as their focus is on Soulstones and Malifaux The Other Side is about the warring factions that do not have any concern with Malifaux within Earthside.

• Like 1

I'm guessing no factions will make a direct crossover. Keeping the factions different is another way to keep the games separate. While it's fun to think of squads of Mounted Guard charging and shooting at a group of Mature Nephilim, it's also a great way to cannibalise your own sales by appealing too much to your other games playerbase.

• Like 2

I'm honestly not sure if I would want any crossover factions, because I have a game to play all those factions in, what I'm most excited for about The Other Side is everything new, setting, characters and factions. If all this was was Malifaux - Army Edition, I'm not sure I would be nearly as interested.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, retnab said:

I doubt any crossover factions will happen, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any word of some of the main players' Earthside contacts.  For example, the Dreamer is actually Earthside so maybe we could get some info on him there.

Check out his vignette in Ripples. :P

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WolfDayDream said:

Most likely the guild is not in this game as their focus is on Soulstones and Malifaux The Other Side is about the warring factions that do not have any concern with Malifaux within Earthside.

Considering the Guild conquered the world and all the previous fluff shows them holding it with an iron fist I'm also surprised there is no real Guild faction.

46 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

Considering the Guild conquered the world and all the previous fluff shows them holding it with an iron fist I'm also surprised there is no real Guild faction.

Really? I thought they more got involved/had influence in every government Earth side because of their control of the SS and magic, I don't remember them actually taking over anything in total. I know they hold the Malifaux world with an iron fist, but if they did it Earthside it must have happened later in fluff than I've gotten to.

Edit: from https://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux-history

"The Guild took control of access to Soulstones, doling them out for use in exchange for positions of power within each government. Minister of Magic, Secretary of Aetheric Practice, and so forth, these titles gave legitimacy to their claims. The Guild demanded they be put in charge of the area surrounding the Breach to further study the phenomenon and how they may be able to open it again."

• Like 2

I am really happy with how the factions look and how they are different from Malifuax.

There is no ten thunders, resurs or outcast. I think this makes a lot of sense. The Ten Thunders are abandoning the Three Kingdoms, though if they add them later to TOS it would still be interesting. Next Resurs really need a world with lots of magic to make there troopers, could there be one coming latter or maybe a sub set of another faction to come sure that could work.

I wanted to see a Prussian army or Spanish one but I think going with Abyssinian Empire being Africa base is rather interesting and cool it also gives the game some scope, this is not just a European problem.

Other thing (unfounded speculation of the future)

I could see doing an American army. This could be USA, Canada, Central America, Native Americans or a combination of any of them.

I do think either an Indian or Three Kingdom army could all be interesting especially as human faction that expanded based on magic or traditions instead of technology. May be we will see a Three Kingdom army as a force using this to rebel vs both the Guild and the Three Kingdom: Japan may be?

Like I said I like to see another army for Europe. That is one I do not think will happen.

I think we will see 2 more human faction based on geographic empires and maybe another monster faction.

So who would I play?

Cult of the Burning Man. They are sort of ab human, which I tend to not be a huge fan of humans so that sort of works. I like upclose and personally fights and speed so them being hit and run works well for me. They have magic, I tend to like having that a lot. Only thing better would be demonic knights or the inquisition and a few others.

I suspect my brother will go Abyssinian Empire and my father would go King’s Empire and a friend will go Gibbering Horde.

My one complaint is with the Gibbering Horde or rather the Deep One army. With them and the Cult of the Burning Man I feel we have to much Lovecraftian Mythos here and of the 2 I see a lot more deep ones in gaming. Carnevale even has a faction of them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, D_acolyte said:

I wanted to see a Prussian army or Spanish one but I think going with Abyssinian Empire being Africa base is rather interesting and cool it also gives the game some scope, this is not just a European problem.

Other thing (unfounded speculation of the future)

I could see doing an American army. This could be USA, Canada, Central America, Native Americans or a combination of any of them.

If they do end up doing Spain it will probably have something to do with necromancy, as it mentions in the fluff that Spain has an undead problem. While I can totally see them doing America, I don't think Canada would be apart of them, as Canada is probably apart of The Kings Empire. And so is India (stated in the little blurb on their allegiance page).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nexus132 said:

If they do end up doing Spain it will probably have something to do with necromancy, as it mentions in the fluff that Spain has an undead problem. While I can totally see them doing America, I don't think Canada would be apart of them, as Canada is probably apart of The Kings Empire. And so is India (stated in the little blurb on their allegiance page).

Rebellions are a thing. They are already upsetting there world, why not upset it more.