What to add to Misaki's crew

Wilddy

I play Misaki with Stalking Besento and Sensei Yu is the only model I consider an auto-include when running Misaki.  He can stalk for her either freeing up her (0) for an extra attack or giving here two options for Stalk.  Then he pushes her up to 10" and gives her fast.  With the extra attack from the (0) Misaki now has a potential of 5 attacks (pushing 4" between each).  She has +/+ against stalked targets (up to two).  On her recalled training round she is ++/++.  Once I get the terracotta warriors I'm probably going to try giving her an upgrade I can swap out for a second Recalled Training.

• Like 1

Sensei Yu is really good with her, but she is fine with out him too. It depends a little bit what you want to do. If Misaki is going to do most of the heavy lifting herself, or if you plan to alpha strike: Yu is the right choice. If you dont want to alpha, or prefer more hitting power in the crew Yu can sit out. There are plenty of different make ups for how a balanced crew may look like, so let me leave that aside and comment on a handful of models (who may fit in alpha crews too of course). 

Mr Graves. Can push friendly and enemy models, hitts pretty hard, and takes some effort to bring down. 

Mr Tannen. Forces discards and may prevent ss use. Misaki can get a lot out of both. Works best in cramped spaces, but outside of danger. 

Yin. Really good tarpit. Can shut down enemies and force a lot of duels. Great control model. 

Samurai. Can shoot out chunks of the enemy crew, and has tools to ignore armor in ml. Great for mix up, and crowd control. 

Johan. Hits hard and has condition removal. Enough said. 

Chiaki. Tough scheme runner and has condition removal. 

Lone swordsman. A versitile beater who can punch way above his weight in the right situation. 

Lust. Great at setting up other models for attacks, or disrupt the enemy ranks. Can cause some chip damage, and provide with some card draw too. 

Shadow Emissary. Misakis conflux is mint. Especially since it makes the Emissary so speedy. Gives non leader models with an upgrade Fast for a 1 ap, can hit hard, and has plenty of cool interactions with its auras. Can make your enforcers and hench men really deadly. 

Yamaziko. Her defensive 0 is good, and her 2ap action can be a killer. Strong against wp. Solid model for its asking price. 

Ohaguro. The new TT henchmen can shut down df / wp triggers with a 6" aura. Makes for a great running mate for Misaki against targets who rely on triggers to stay alive. Can charge through terrain, models and doesnt require Los... 

Terracotta Warrior. Can protect your enforcers and switch upgrades. 

Shadow Effigy. Great stats and abilities. Ml 7 makes it an assassin against targets on 1-2 wnds. Its leader condition is great for Misaki. 

Katanaka Snipers. May not cause the same amount of havoc as a Samurai, but their collected approach can take out or soften up targets for your hitters. Will get reactivate if they see Misaki go down. Works wonders in pairs. 

TT bro. Great scheme runner with plenty of tricks. 

• Like 1

To start with, I'd recommend Samurai, Mr Graves and Obsidian Oni. All three work really well with Misaki, and don't require another $50+ box of other  models you won't otherwise use to get the figure you want. 

Samurai are very tough with great melee. But importantly they provide amazing shooting and give your opponent plenty of excuses to cheat his hand away to minimise the additional shots. The negative is that they take damage if you miss with the gun, but that's where the Obsidian Oni come in. They can heal the samurai and other upgrade-carrying non-leaders in the crew, but they're also pretty good value front line minions regardless.

Then there's Mr Graves. In addition to being a generally decent beater to trash team with Ototo he's got a great push effect to both move your models up and get enemy models out of position. Both are amazing. 

Just regarding Sensei Yu, I used to use him, but don't any more. Yes, he offers alot to Misaki but it comes at a high SS cost. He long since got replaced by cheaper and more aggressive options (like Graves) and i haven't regretted it once.

• Like 1

In my experience (three years playing almost exclusively Misaki), the best models to acompany Misaki with are models that work well independently, and don't need (much) cards, stones, and/or suits (specially not Crows nor Masks). Aside from that, any model pairs well with her, as Misaki doesn't really generates any sinergy. The only consideration to bear in mind is bring some model with pushes to give her some extra range. Sensei Yu is of course the best model for that role, but as he and his Intercontinental Ballistic Cruise Misaki Missile Combo can be a little overwhelming to some players (to the point to being directly not fun to play against), others options I prefer are Lust and Mr Graves.

For what it's worth, currently the common base for my competitive games is the following:

- Misaki (Stalking Bisento, Recalled Training, Misidirection)

- Shang

- Shadow Effigy

- Lust 

- Yin The Penangalan (The Peaceful Waters)

- Chiaki the niece

- Low River Monk

That leaves 12SS, which I fill acordingly to enemy faction, strats, schemes and so with combinations of the Following:  Sensei Yu w/WRS, Katanaka Sniper, Izamu, TT Brother/s, a second LR Monk, and Death Contract Upgrade (on Misaki and Lust placed randomly).

In other words, the same models the comments above mentioned :P

28 minutes ago, Gennosuke said:

In my experience (three years playing almost exclusively Misaki), the best models to acompany Misaki with are models that work well independently, and don't need (much) cards, stones, and/or suits (specially not Crows nor Masks). Aside from that, any model pairs well with her, as Misaki doesn't really generates any sinergy. The only consideration to bear in mind is bring some model with pushes to give her some extra range. Sensei Yu of is course the best model for that role, but as he and his Intercontinental Ballistic Cruise Misaki Missile Combo can be a little overwhelming to some players (to the point to directly being not fun to play against), others options I prefer are Lust and Mr Graves.

For what it's worth, currently the common base for my competitive games is the following:

- Misaki (Stalking Bisento, Recalled Training, Misidirection)

- Shang

- Shadow Effigy

- Lust 

- Yin The Penangalan (The Peaceful Waters)

- Chiaki the niece

- Low River Monk

That leaves 12SS, which I fill acordingly to enemy faction, strats, schemes and so with combinations of the Following:  Sensei Yu w/WRS, Katanaka Sniper, Izamu, TT Brother/s, a second LR Monk, and Death Contract Upgrade (on Misaki and Lust placed randomly).

In other words, the same models the comments above mentioned :P

No big, super cool looking Shadow Emissary? Hmmm...

What I find works best with Misaki is a crew that is essentially a crew doing all the things a normal crew should only without a master. So it needs sturdy units, be able to hit hard and scheme while Misaki is off in the distance harassing the opponent as they try to deal with the crew. Yu I'd say is essential for Misaki for the Stalk, which allows her to dive in and wreck key targets and jump out 9" again even after having done three attacks with :+fate to attack and damage. She's sturdy enough that it tends to take a real dedicated effort to take her out, which your opponent shouldn't be able to do with your main crew in their face. 

My personal favourite is Izamu - he hits hard and with a Low River Monk anywhere near he can generally stay alive for ages. Then Shang for cards, LRM for healing, Yu for placement and scheming, and then you have some 20 odd points left for general use. I often go for 2 8ish SS models (Sniper, Kang, Yin, Graves) or the odd three cheap minions (TTB, Pathfinder, Effigy). I really don't like the Emissary with her because I don't tend to rely on minions and his Misaki upgrade requires him to be somewhere he really shouldn't be. Also the lack of marker-play and the restrictions on his pushes really kill him for me here. 

• Like 1

A Misaki crew has hit my painting table for the coming weeks and this is the initial list of models that I'll be planning to paint to give me some options.

Misaki

Chiaki

Lone Swordsman

Izamu

Torakage

2 Ten Thunders Brothers

2 Wandering River Monks

Shadow Emmisary

Kamiatachi

Shadow Effigy

I figure I can cover all scheme pools/strategy from that list.

Since we're posting crews, here's the latest iteration of my own Misaki crew;

Misaki w. Misdirection, Recalled Training, Stalking Bisento, False Target (5)
Shang (3)
Samurai w. Favour of Earth (8)
Lust w. Equality (9)
Graves w. Death Contract, Peaceful Waters (9)
Monk of Low River (4)
Tengu (4)
Pathfinder (6)
+2 SS Cache

False Target/Death Contract can swap around according to mood, but otherwise I've found that it works really well across a variety of strats, schemes and factions. :)

• Like 1

In the vein of Professor Pink, here's my Misaki iteration:

Misaki w Misdirection, Recalled Training and Stalking Bisento

Shang

Lone Swordsman w Recalled Training

Ohagura Bettari w Recalled Training

Graves w Peaceful Waters

Obsidian Oni

Monk of Low River

Shadow Effigy

+3 SS Cache

Effigy pops on the defense to misaki, and the three of them just dive in hard like. With Mr Graves helping positioning.

Need to try out lust though!