How did you get into Malifaux?

Phinn

My road through the breach began with my interest in Pen and Paper RPGs and board games. I picked up a Pandora crew at the beginning of 2E for the purposes of using them for some RPGs and never did so. Eventually my interest expanded into Miniature games and after a lot of research i was choosing between Infinity and Malifaux. Then i remembered that i had a box Plastics from a few years ago and i plunged in, though now i am a filthy Resser first and foremost ;).

I started played the usual when I was about 13 - Warhammer Fantasy, then 40L, then Epic.  Had at various stages High Elves (which I hated), then WFB Chaos, 40K Chaos (LOVED the Terminators. Still do :P), Squats, and Epic Squats. #BringBackTheLandTrain

The I went overseas and worked, drank, travelled, etc, and never played any tabletop games. Came back, and just started picking up the games again 2 years ago, starting with board games.  I had thought that I'd be satisfied with not buying into minis again, as I'm not really a painter, but then a mate introduced me to Star Trek Attack Wing, and I let myself be seduced by the lure of pre-painted mins (as Dog-awful as the paintjobs on them were. Actually, I went out and bought a couple of fresh paints and brushes so that I could do a little drybrushing on my Dominion fleet...you can see how things gradually progressed...).

Halfway through the process of getting sick of the STAW cr*p (dumb rules, mix-n-match crews, utterly USELESS cards, etc), I walked into a games store in Oz with this mate of mine who got me into STAW, and saw that they had a Dystopian Wars display.  I really loved the models - the concepts, the scale, the crispness of the units - and so I bought into that. And had nobody to play it with :-( But by then, it was too late - I'd solidly invested once again in "some assembly and painting required" miniatures, and I was sliding down that slippery slope.

After that, I found a guy to play DW with, and it turned out that he owns pretty much EVERY system ever made.  And THAT'S where I got my first exposure to Malifaux.  He showed me the game, we played a couple of intro clashes, and I really, really liked the playing card mechanic.  So much so, that I'm kind of loathe to go back to dice-based games.  I also got into Infinity and Dropzone Commander, and while I've ditched Infinity since (I really don't like the abstraction of the "Cheerleader" mechanic), but I really like the simplicity and bulk dice-rolling of DZC.

Anyway, progressing with Malifaux, I came to the game in fits and starts - bought myself a Tara crew, got confused by all the rules, and lost heart for a while.  But I studied the rules, played a few games on Vassal and watched a lot of batreps on YouTube, and slowly got comfortable with the rules and - mostly - the Abilities on various cards.  So after getting over that initial complexity shock, I'm now a very keen collector, who occasionally gets to play  ;-)  Don't get me wrong - I love playing the game!  It's just only been lately that a group of folk closer to my house have coalesced and started playing with regularity.

Chur!

I got into boardgames a few years ago. Turns out board games these days have a lot of minis and online painting tutorials. Little while later I realised that there are a lot better minis out there to paint. Little googling later I quite innocently purchased a box of Ten Thunders Samurai. Store Owner/Henchman was quick to reel me in and I left the store with a demo game in my schedule. That was this summer, so I'm still fairly new to all this.

Gotta say despite being new to painting and miniature games it's been a good, welcoming experience. One would think it could've been alienating playing with players who were playing Warhammer back in Xth edition. But no, everyone's been cool. Fun times.

I think it started with Epic 40k back in the late eighties and I have been with GW since. I got into Malifaux whilst playing in a gaming group where someone in our group was really pushing Faux. Didn't like 1.5 and resisted until 2 edition and purchased the Jakob box. From there I tried to restrict myself to just NB....didn't last long!