My Depot/Stock Yard Terrain

Squirrelich

So firstly forgive the the generic board it is on, I'll be buying a Mats by Mars mat in a few days. (most recent picture further down in the post chain)

Secondly, please forgive me not sharing the images directly to the forum. It is late, I'm tired and I don't feel like trying to reduce the size of my images. I may come back over the weekend and edit the post to do just that... or not if I don't remember.

From the local tourney, I seemed to have deleted the original picture

hWYmqix.jpg

Closer pictures of the individual terrain here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4gnCHhsoGhTS0t4bUF0OEtSYjQ

Now I just have to go through and classify all the different pieces so I can write a document to save on discussion when this terrain set is used at tourneys. Initial ideas on terrain traits 3 posts down

Thank you for viewing!

• Like 5

THIS IS SO HYPE!

I clicked on this randomly, and that was basically my first thought.

I do like the vast majority of it though, the boxes are great.  I especially am a huge fan of the giant piles, which provide both (I assume) climbable obstacles, vantage points, and blocking terrain, which really just makes a battlefield fun.  Plus they look damn nice, is it foam with balsa layered over it to look like boxes?  Or I guess it could be more hollow than I'm thinking.  I also like the sacs in that one wagon, look pretty cool.

The house I'm not a fan of though, the texture bothers me.  Like stucco walls.. just doesn't jive with me.

I like the stack of I-beams though, oh and the cool crane, although I almost wish there were a more obvious way to get to the top.  I guess it looks nice on it's own, but I feel like if it's just impassable terrain around the 6-support struts it's almost being wasted for terrain purposes.  Also I just noticed the out-of-shot-rungs on the back support that look like they are probably there for exactly the reason I just went over, so ignore me.

EDIT:

Oh!, oh, doublepost! (Or secret edit)

But I just thought of something important, since there is seemingly little terrain that is not LoS blocking you have (Maybe the little boxes or fences I guess?), but not really much like.. ponds or rivers or the likes, the typical "difficult terrain only" type pieces.

You could have a like, coal-patch or something, that's like a large hole the coal is stored in on ground level, before it's packed or whatever.  I guess it's not quite gravel, I've never really seen a section of ground made of coal, but I actually imagine it is fairly stable to walk on, but same difference.  Or you could have little bonfires which don't really block LoS, but provide hazardous.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tawg said:

lots of stuff

So to try and quickly respond in the general order. The building is meant to be stucco (mainstreamed with a new type of Portland cement 1843 or something like that, so it should be allowed on the 1906 Malifaux period). I do admit it is a pretty stark departure from the rest of the board, so it may not always be placed.

Boxes are balsa layered over a balsa frame, so they are hollow inside.

There are ladder "stairs" on the back side of the crane, but I have been recommending to players to count the platform on top as "not in play" for all purposes because it is 5.5" inches off the ground, and dropping a from the shadows sniper up there might be a little too strong.

The 6 pillars supporting it and the fences are the only light cover, and pretty much the only non-LoS blocking stuff out there (besides the next note). But I've been noticing an interesting interaction with the crate stacks that they give huge cover early game, and then once you climb over them you get no cover. So far no complaints on too little light cover because it seems to even out.

The 4 stacks of loose small boxes are Ht0 severe (they are only 1/4 inch tall), so a replacement for the traditional pond/lake role.

For hazardous I count the zombie box and Fluffy's (anything that leaves a nephilim skull outside it's house I think is scary enough to be hazardous if disturbed)

All in all I think I have about 35% of the board covered, so about what is recommended I think

Other interactions I've noticed this board causes.
-It limits early game attrition with all the LoS blocking and Climable slowing movement, so it slows the game down
-It forces us to face the silliness that is Vantage Point rules
-place effects are really helpful on this board (i.e. leap and such)

• Like 1

Also, taking suggestions on which mat by mars mat I should get... (https://matsbymars.com/collections/malifaux-mats)

Here is what I propose for the terrain traits (also seeking suggestions on this from people more experienced with terrain traits)
fences - soft cover, climbable, impassable, HT 1 (though I think this means that you can end your move on top of them so I'm not sure how I feel about that)
fluffy's - blocking, hard cover, hazardous, impassable, HT 1 (I don't include climbable on purpose. there is a slant on the roof so I don't want models falling over. Fluff wise I just assume Fluffy would tear the whole thing apart to get at the person on top)
crates - hard cover, blocking, impassable, climbable, HT as appropriate (every level is pretty much an even inch amount from the ground os it should be easy to figure out), Vantage Point on all areas HT 2 or higher
open boxes - hard cover, blocking, impassable, climbable, severe, HT 1
other stuff - hard cover, blocking, impassable, HT 2 (too small or rounded surface are on top for me to want people putting models up there. Fluff because the whole thing would fall apart if they tried?)
rail beams - hard cover, blocking, impassable, climbable, severe, HT 1
really big crane - for the pillars - soft cover, impassable, HT 5. just the piliars them selves, I made sure 50mm models can go between them (though you may lose some paint on the edges of your base in some of the tight spots :P) so no need to blanket the whole area with impassable. For the raised platform I will continue to suggest that it be considered "not in play" for all purposes. If the players want to change this make rules accordingly and add climbable to the pillars too.
small boxes - severe, HT 0
taxes and records building - impassable, blocking, hard cover (I can't open up the top so not enclosed, fluff because it is all boarded up. and those walls do not look so climbable.)
wagons - main part of the wagon is HT 1, blocking, hard cover, impassable, climbable, severe. Not sure if I want to do anything with the "arm" (no idea on correct term) sticking out the front, maybe HT 0, severe for that because people have to jump over it?
zombie box - hard cover, blocking, impassable, climbable, HT 2, Vantage Point, hazardous

Not to be 'that guy' but I've got to say that the stucco building doesn't fit in with the rest of your terrain. It seems visually wrong and out of scale. A small guard shack and/or overseer's office made of wood. The big structure in the middle looks like it wants a ramp, stairs, or ladders. Otherwise, how are people getting to the top to operate the crane?

Ok, dropping the house since that is the consensus (as noted above even I kind of noticed and I am blindly invested in the terrain set). I should still have enough left over to cover 30-33% of the board.

16 hours ago, ringsnake said:

The big structure in the middle looks like it wants a ramp, stairs, or ladders. Otherwise, how are people getting to the top to operate the crane?

As noted in other comments there are rungs up the back (side with the coal bin). They are every 3/4" meant to show a place to climb. You can see the small rings on the back edge of the platform, those are poor attempts at what should be hand holds to help a person over the edge, but you can tell where the rungs are off them. I assume the crane just life the coal/water/anything else it needs up there

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 7thSquirrel said:

Ok, dropping the house since that is the consensus (as noted above even I kind of noticed and I am blindly invested in the terrain set). I should still have enough left over to cover 30-33% of the board.

If you make more they might become cohesive, but if you're just sticking with one building for the moment it does jar a little. I don't mind if things are historically accurate though!

Unfortunately I ended up with a different mat so this picture isn't 100% accurate/current, but here is it is on a better play area and with the house removed from the recent local tourney.

hWYmqix.jpg

Current terrain description document: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4gnCHhsoGhTYUNDVVR1ZUFlSTQ

Thanks all for looking! Maybe in 6 months or so I'll be motivated start another, talk to you all again then if I do.

• Like 4