The Guild VS Resurrectionists

Impact UK

Not that I have had any problems playing against the Resurrectionists but I was wondering what Master and Crew do you fellow Guild players opt for when your opponent announces this faction.

Evidently the pool of Schemes & Strategies available play a big part, but I was just interested in who people go to when facing the undead?

• Like 1

I like McCabe since ressurectionists have a lot of hard to kill. Molly summoning punk zombies in at 2 wounds is the worst and he can usually put a dent in Izamu with armour 4 from the gravespirit and incotporeal models that can really screw you over if you can't counter them.

Sonnia can be nice because of her board control elements but you can't always get as many blasts since some resser lists drown in hard to wound. If interference is in the pool she will totally neuter their night terrors which isn't too bad and she can do a number on spirit (incorporeal) heavy lists.

I think being familiar with ones own crew is more important than trying to counterpick too much. Good minimum damageand a way to ignore defensive rules is always nice though.

• Like 5

I'm surprised there isn't any lady J love. Her and Judge can stop Corpse Markers from dropping.

Judge's Ca that does 2 damage is a lot better as well as its damage spread gets larger.

Justice Unleashed is a really good attack for groups of Undead. I remember using it to kill a Hanged and several smaller guys.

Exorcists are also really underrated in regard to taking on Undead. I love throwing them into Melee with smaller scheme runners.

• Like 1

Lady J thematically does the trick, however I feel Perdita is up for the task aswell, Incorporeal can be a real solid tactic into the Guild due to the often lower ammount of Ca options we have available. For sure Sonnia with her blasts technically can deal with swarms but as Ludvig mentioned sometimes this damage just isn't enough. Perdita offers Trick Shooting which simply by-passes the whole issue with Incorporeal, on top of that I always felt Obey can be really potent into ressers and with the Brutal Emissary we have direct acces to it.

Beaters in general are nice, thinking about Lady J, McCabes crew or McMourning even but I'd personally like my chances with Perdita. She is a bit vunerable to blasts and effects and such but that's nothing we shouldn't be able to handle when we factor in a Brutal Effigy aswell. Nellie certainly brings the Ca's I like more but is also more likely to get clogged down, due to her own strategies and additional bonusses.

Long story short, not only scheme's matter, the Ressurectionist expected a lot aswell. If I'm totally uncertain what Resser I'll see I don't think Perdita is a wrong choice, Aura Ancestral is a cheap acces to not having to worry about Horror Duels too much and Trick Shooting perfectly deals with Incorporeal to me these are two big assests Ressers can bring besides having a lot of Wd.

Obviously you also can't go wrong with the Judge.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

The judge's Ca isn't very impressive to me. I believe the stat is 5 and the most likely outcome is 2 damage since you will almost always be at a negative. Not placing corpses is nice vs Nico, I mostly face Kirai and Molly, they couldn't care less.

And judge is even having a harder time making in to lists with Phiona arrival ?

• Like 1

Very true but I do like the placement effect of the Judge a lot. I feel the biggest problem Resurrs cause to us is when we are clogged down with multiple nasty pieces, forcing multiple Horror duals and generally surrounding us with too much Wd.

Phiona certainly is a ton of help but her Stone Pillar is less needed and generally speaking any model that can generate more attacks by himself will do. I like the Brutal Emissary because of that a lot aswell.

Ludvig, I would love to hear your Master specific tactica, I only see Yan Lo and while Perdita has been effective I do think we might have more options... But my experience on that is severly lacking.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

Very true but I do like the placement effect of the Judge a lot. I feel the biggest problem Resurrs cause to us is when we are clogged down with multiple nasty pieces, forcing multiple Horror duals and generally surrounding us with too much Wd.

Phiona certainly is a ton of help but her Stone Pillar is less needed and generally speaking any model that can generate more attacks by himself will do. I like the Brutal Emissary because of that a lot aswell.

Ludvig, I would love to hear your Master specific tactica, I only see Yan Lo and while Perdita has been effective I do think we might have more options... But my experience on that is severly lacking.

The Judge's push has a :ranged so if you're engaged you need to randomize. That is my singular biggest gripe with him actually ;) 

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I must preface with the fact that I haven't even played all the guild masters. I have played Perdita, Sonnia, McCabe and Lucius to a decent degree. I usually pick McCabe vs ressers.

I've never actually met Yan Lo on the table but I believe he is very likely to bring Izamu as his beater. This would make me lean towards McCabe for promises and ignoing both armour and incorporeal on Izamu and Yan. Of course Perdita might be an equally strong pick since she ignores the same defenses and can raise WP. The big difference between them is when my opponent spams punk zombies with Molly or Nico. No other guild master can ignore hard to kill as far as I know.

If you need to kill stuff go hard for Yan straight away I guess. Otherwise I tend to send in McCabe and/or an executioner to put some stress on the master/big guys and try to do sneaky schemey stuff to get my points with the rest of my list.

• Like 3

I never settled on a master to aim at Ressers yet. Sometimes I bring McCabe for the reasons already cited. Sometimes I bring McMourning because a Resser will treat him as Resser McMourning and forget there will be more models ignoring Hard to Wound and less reason to panic when I bounce him into a clump of weak models. Sometimes I bring Hoffman because he likes to bring the Ca with the Sanctioned Spellcaster regardless and because Hard to Wound/Hard to Kill matters less when you're attacking several times per AP (nothing says love like a steam arachnid swarm nibbling a hanged to death before it can activate--take that, incorporeal).

• Like 2

On 16 november 2016 at 9:35 PM, trikk said:

Lady Justice with Justice Unleashed

But at what cost... Paying a lot of ss and lowering her damage. Doesn't she require another suit for it to go off too? Might actually make playing her some more my next challenge. I want to like her! If the opponent wants you to miss you will also need two high cards instead of just one for that second attack to hit instead of just ignoring the rule.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad this thread is here. Currently I play only Guild and my only consistent opponent plays just Rezzers. So far I've only been able to win one game (was Sonnia against McMounrning), so seeing some of this should help. 

On 11/16/2016 at 10:45 AM, JDAntoine said:

I only see Yan Lo and while Perdita has been effective I do think we might have more options... But my experience on that is severly lacking.

This is the main Master my friend takes, and I'm still having trouble finding ways around it. He tends to use Izamu, Yin, and Chiaki with him, changing the rest of the crew depending on scheme and who he thinks I'm running. I currently have McCabe, Sonnia, Lady Justice, and Luscius, with a few other figures (Riflemen, Brutal Emissary, Gov's Proxy, Executioners). I think McCabe might be the best bet (With what I have, I have no idea how some others, like Hoffmen or Nellie, would do), since he can have himself or someone else ignore Izamu's armor and some armor for Yin's damage aura. I've been thinking of just trying to put Izamu in a box with a Death Marshal or the Emissary too just to get him out of the way.

I'm still learning the game in general, but I hope this helps. :)

• Like 1

Had a game last week and the Brutal Emissary certainly pulled his weight. Wp 5 feels sad but with Abuela and the right Perdita build you can still make him part of the Family and thus Wp 5 doesn't have to be a problem for him (plus Frank helps to).

So despite my obvious bias for the Brutal Emissary (just love the art, model and the way he looks on the table) I can certainly recommend him in that Perdita/Lady J build. I don't have Nellie yet and also love Sonnia for smaller swarms but think that overtime I just like Perdita more as the 'generalist' anti-Resser. Most of her anti-swarm problems are solved by Emissary and Abuela (and/or Papa). 

I finally got a chance to try using the Emissary against Yan Lo, specifically by putting Izamu in the box, and still lost really hard. He kept healing through a bunch of stuff for the first few turns, but Yan Lo popped him like a balloon turn 3 and the problem that is Izamu was back. 

My current win rate against resurrectionists with my guild is about 1/10, and adding in other factions I've tried it's 1/14...I really need some help against them.

1 hour ago, Raclesis said:

I finally got a chance to try using the Emissary against Yan Lo, specifically by putting Izamu in the box, and still lost really hard. He kept healing through a bunch of stuff for the first few turns, but Yan Lo popped him like a balloon turn 3 and the problem that is Izamu was back. 

My current win rate against resurrectionists with my guild is about 1/10, and adding in other factions I've tried it's 1/14...I really need some help against them.

I have to ask you what Perdita was doing that time? With BE having Circular I would have expected assistance from Dita herself often in such a way that pieces like that shouldn't form massive problems.

Also have to be honest with and say that I feel that "Back In The Box" is very fluffy and cool to imagne but Rule of Law usually does much more effective things. Izamu is obviously very hard for the BE to crack however it's those Hechmen that fold into Perdita. The Death Marshal is a more effective model (I feel) to burry others with. 

Thus far the combination Obey, Circular combinations the BE has added to Perdita have served me very well into swarm heavier crews but prioritizing targets remains as essential for Perdita as always. 

1 hour ago, Raclesis said:

She was hanging out in a box, on sprues, in a store. I don't own Perdita yet. :P I plan on getting her soon, as she seems kind of like The Guild's easy button master.

Ah okay, well, I think it's less of an easy button as Sonnia actually. Perdita gives you a specialized tool that just works very well into Armor, Incorporeal and if it matters significantly boosts Wp duals.
All that matters a lot into Ressers. Obviously not saying you should play Perdita but I am saying that going 1-10 with Guild into Ressurs should be a reason to explore other pieces aswell :) 

Yeah, an easy button isn't a bad thing if you're new to the game. ;) It's not like I've never lost with Perdita, but she is nothing if not straightforward and she eats Izamu for lunch.  Get in to melee with him (so you can ignore Armor and don't need to worry about cover, and for the Ram for Crit Strike) and he's out in one activation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My problem with Lady Justice is that she really feels like a weaker McMourning.  

Doug is faster than her with 'Plastic Surgery', Organ Donor is stronger than Juggernaut for healing,  Doug ignores common enemy model defenses like H2W and Armour, Doug has almost equivalent single target damage with expunge + rancid transplant (and if he fails his own expunge a performer or his totem can try again), Doug has better support abilities like giving friendly models the ability to ignore H2W, and pushing his crew around with injection...  Even in Death Marshal themed crews I find myself wishing I had brought Doug over Justice.

Anyway, I really like Doug vs Ressers.  He doesn't need to be close to set up rancid transplant, and a lot of their models come with embalmed making them prime targets for expunge from him, or his back up detonators.  He also ignores their most common defenses and can pass this on to friends, and can fight ethereal models with his poison tricks.  If you are taking Judge with Doug, make sure to focus the bound by law action.

Death Marshals are an outstanding tool against Ressers.  I don't think I've ever killed Izamu, but I've shoved him in a box multiple times.  You can also ruin Kirai's day if you can bait Ikiryo into the box.  A buried Ikiryo cannot be re-summoned.

Otherwise its the same as any other game, focus on scoring victory points, and don't start tilting.

Sadly I think DMs are awesome fluffwise but they lack a few things to make them work. Exorcists are pretty situational, Judge costs 11SS to bring something new except a shooty/melee henchman with 5 df. Justice can chop with her sword and tank a lot but she`s kinda boring despite my love and the fact she brought me to the game. Recruiters are nice, if you could bump up the rest to their level it would be awesome.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to trying Witchling Thralls against Ressers, since they have what you'd think is a nice toolbox for dealing with undead.  High min damage on their melee attack, and a Ca action with no :ranged and :blast to moderate and severe.  They also have a huge pile of wounds to help out against Black Blood or other annoyances, with self healing to boot.  And they auto pass horror duels, which is another thing Ressers like to throw around.  The wording on that ability is such that even Hanged can't negate it.  All for nine points.