Help Pick Colette or Ramos

Xerri

https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Arcanists will give you more information than anyone here can reasonably give you.

All masters are good, but play very differently. I recommend you read the pullmyfinger entries to see which one looks like you might enjoy them, and then perhaps ask some more specific questions you might have in this thread that pullmyinger did not answer.

I agree with Sordit, the wiki has great info.

I recently started with Ramos myself (after massive doubts) and he's tons of fun, but that would've been de case with pretty much any master I'm sure.

Everything is at least viable, so don't worry to much about picking the best box. It mostly comes down to how you play them. Instead, focus on the playstyle and looks of the models.

I also recommend looking up some battle reports on youtube, maybe you'll see something you like.

Both Colette and Ramos can be built and used in multiple ways, but to keep it simple for now I'd say the Ramos crew brings the beatdown and swarm. Colette brings trickery and control to the table from what I've seen.

Can't go wrong with any of them. Good luck picking your first master!

• Like 1

I would say- if you are just starting malifaux go with Ramos. Ramos was my starting crew and for a beginner its an excellent box. It contains a lot of SS in models, Ramos quite a simple playstyle (summoner) and it comes with two of the factions best models in Joss and Howard.

extra purchases- 

Johan

Lazarus

electrical creation

mobile toolkit

soulstone miner

If you have played a bit and are switching factions, or want a bit of a challenge go with Colette.   I picked Colette up last year and it took a while to get going with her, I lost a lot of games before she started to click with me, once she did however I placed 3rd at a tournament which is practically unheard of. 

extra purchases- 

angelica

malifaux raptor

december acolyte

arcane effigy

coryphee

I second (or third) the above sentiment that if you're deciding between Ramos and Colette you should go with Ramos. He's more straight forward than Colette is and is a solid crew to run straight out of the box. Also, a Joss and Howard Langston (which come in the Ramos crew box) find their way into a lot of other Arcanist crews; I've ran Joss with pretty much every other Arcanist master at one point or another.

To start with, if you like straighforward, go with Ramos. If you prefer trickery and cleverness, Colette.

To that I will add, buying both boxes is not a bad plan. Ramos' box gets you Joss, Hank, and spiders, which every Arcanist master can appreciate. Colette gets you Performers and Cassandra, which are of similar quality for different jobs. 

Buying both will give you a solid base from which to expand  and already have two masters who can easily deal with every strategy the game has to offer.

Past that, a classic Ramos list appreciates an extra box of steam arachnids (magnetize them for the swarms for extra flexibility), an electric creation, and a mobile toolkit for a cheap thing to kill first turn for more scrap.

Colette likes most of Ramos' box plus December Acolytes for Prompt targets, and Silent Ones (for Cassandra to Understudy)

Both like the Arcane Effigy for cheap, durable condition removal and scheme running, Malifaux Raptors for Interference shenanigans (combines with a Practiced Production showgirl for easy Leave Your Mark and other scheme marker placement things), and Willie, because he'said just great for 6SS.

Welcome to the Union!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boomstick said:

To start with, if you like straighforward, go with Ramos. If you prefer trickery and cleverness, Colette.

To that I will add, buying both boxes is not a bad plan. Ramos' box gets you Joss, Hank, and spiders, which every Arcanist master can appreciate. Colette gets you Performers and Cassandra, which are of similar quality for different jobs. 

Buying both will give you a solid base from which to expand  and already have two masters who can easily deal with every strategy the game has to offer.

If you can, as Boomstick says, get both. They complement each other on what strat/scheme pools they can play into.

Ramos tends to be attrition with a giant ball of spiders in the middle of the scrum. Things that score off of you clumping (even loosely) and/or engaging the enemy are his bread and butter. He can also out activate most commonly seen crews, as he is a very efficient summoner. This gives him an activation on schemes that involve giving people conditions (Exhaust their Forces) or dropping scheme markers.

One thing I would recommend adding to your hiring pool for Ramos is the Large Steam Arachnids. Similar to Joss they drop scrap markers when they kill things. They also eat scrap and scheme markers (including your opponent's) in order to get :+fate on flips during their activation. Their Ml 5 and damage track looks a lot more frightening after a couple Steam Arachnids have been summoned in base contact with their next victim and they're working with extra cards.

Colette tends to be movement and control. She doesn't hold ground well, but with marker schemes in the pool, her crew can do those really well. Her best strategies for me are the ones that involve interacting or spreading out. Things like Headhunter become trivially easy when she can prompt a beater like Hank or Joss (from Ramos' box) to kill someone, then prompt them (which pushes them to the head marker) to pick up the head.

Colette's a force multiplier, anything that does a job well does it more under her.