Your MVPs from Ripples of Fate

Mutter

So what are your favorite cards/models from Ripples of Fate? Not really talking about Masters here, that has been done at other places, but more talking about upgrades and individual models finding their way into your crews?

For me, the biggest impact was with Neverborn. A Thousand Faces is just so powerful - NB have so many cheap upgrades that are very situational: Fears Given Form, Retribution's Eye, now Malifaux Provides. And for those, Thousand Faces just seems like an auto-take, especially, as my NB crew tend to be top-heavy, so no shortage of Enforcers and Henchmen to put stuff on.

I also tried out the Spawnmother and Will-o-the-Wisp, but I haven't really all that sucessful so far. Gotta try that out some more, have yet to be convinced.

For Ten Thunders, the Low River Monk upgrade is pretty strong, especially in Sh'long's crew, where I usually always took one anyway. But also for other, condition removal, healing and scheme running in a pinch all for 4ss is pretty cheap. Even thinking of going up to two of the monks.

So far, I'm not really all that convinced of Equality, seems very situational, and I think Death Contract is a trap. Too often, your opponent can just discard two low cards they didn't need anyway, and your upgrade is wasted.

For Guild, somebody posted a listed three Debt to the Guild, and I was thinking along similar lines, haven't tried it yet, though. Arcanists seem most lacklustre to me, nothing that really stands out - or so it seems.

I hear Ressers like My LIttle Helper very much. :)

Any other favorites of yours?

So far, I've only tried out Equality and the LRM healing upgrade from 10T. The healing upgrade is great, though I haven't been able to use Equality effectively. I concur that at least one LRM will be making my crew from now on, 4SS + an upgrade slot is a cheap-as-chips price to pay for healing, and even at SPD 5 it can go walking around and dropping scheme markers for when its curative services are not needed.

I plan to be trying Asami sometime in the next few weeks (was in a Shifting Loyalties campaign and using Misaki), and getting my Titania crew painted to try her as well, both of which I'm looking forward to.

Haven't had room for Equality yet, but I like it on paper. Seems like a solid pick for Show of Force if nothing else. Have had Death Contract/False Target for a few games now and I've been quite happy with it. It's probably not as incredibly awesome as I thought just by reading it, but I do like it. I haven't had a problem of people trivially discarding two cards, but it's only been a few games. Maybe it's just my opponents but I do try to encourage early cheating. And if all it does is discard two cards from my opponent I can work with that. Ideally my death contract-ee has done his job by the time he's done. As for who to put it on... Putting it on Lone Swordsman is really risky. Last game he sacrificed himself because a Peacekeeper saw another sunrise. I need to be more careful with that in the future. Yamaziko might be a good target considering how fragile she is. Or Sensei Yu if I keep shoving him upfield. Or any beater, at least if schemes are right. To sum up: early mixed success, still eagerly working on it.

I've been arguing for and against buying low river monks for months now. I think their upgrade has pushed them up in the buy-list. Cheap bodies for when schemes require it. Cheap healing/condition removal other times, for 4ss it's appealing. 6'' range seems like a pain but thanks to their heal I'm eager to give them a try. Seem like a natural partner for Earth Samurai.

4 hours ago, Mutter said:

Arcanists seem most lacklustre to me, nothing that really stands out - or so it seems.

As was mentioned by @CougDyver, Temporary Shielding came about. It may not look like much at first, but it's further damage reduction on top of a price reduction for a trio of Oxfordian Mages.

On top of that are two very interesting models that can still only be proxied: Carlos and Amina Naidu. There's been some gushing about these two in the Arcanist subforum. Of those two, the one that's caught my interest most is the lawyer, Amina. She adds another layer of control/denial to the Arcanist's toolbox, is an M&SU Academic (so works with the synergies of the Oxfordian Mages on several layers, helping grant them bonus :tome, giving them :+fate on Wp duels, and being a viable target for Warding Runes), and can cripple models outright. I've built a proxy for dropping into Mei Feng/Ironsides lists for all of the fun that can be had there.

Existing models include Kudra, with her crazy charge ability. She's in Sandeep's box, but I like the idea of dropping her into a Colette swarm of performers and Poison Gamin. For reasons.

Then there is Blade and Claw, which can make for some interesting sleight-of-hand on the board, depending on who is the carrier for it and what is in the crew using it. If it helps illustrate some of the possibility, imagine that the Steam Arachnid that wandered into the middle of your support section suddenly swaps places with the Blessed of December that was sitting roughly 17 inches away, who is then prompted a couple of times to smack said support models. Or the reverse, where the Poison Gamin that's just annoying but not really threatening swaps places with an Imbued Energies-carrying Howard Langston.

• Like 1

I haven't tried them yet, but Dead Bandits look to be very handy with both Jack Daw and Parker Barrows.

Bigger They Are is borderline broken when combined with Jack's ability to hand out upgrades. Charge, slap a curse on with the first attack, another attack with the +1 damage, then either rip off the upgrade for another point of damage, or make a third attack with the bonus and then pull it off. Jack becomes a serious beater with it.

• Like 1

I have only tried Neverborn since I haven't had the time to put together my Zipp crew yet...upgrades apart, I had one game with Titania and her crew, and The Claw had one hell of a performance! He even happened to get the Champion upgrade and became insanely good. Those guys really work well with the Emissary, too. The Thorn was around as well but was a bit isolated and her game was not so impressive...I'm sure she'd be spectacular too, if put in the right spot and in company of some good friends :)

Don't have my stuff with me, but the gremlin upgrade for Wong is basically cheating, and should probably just be on him every game.  When shooting into engagement, if you hit one of your models, you can discard a card to take the same shot again.  Generally, Wong wants to shoot his own models anyways, so you're essentially giving him 4 AP a turn.

I only got a couple of games with it in (I recently switched to Ressers for a while), but the Bandersnatch is a lot of fun.  Really all the new Neverborn models seem great, but I haven't used the Rougaru yet.

2 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I'm absolutely loving the whole field reporter box,  As well as debt to the guild and numb to the world.

Now that the dust is settling on Reva panic, people are starting to look more at the more complicated masters. Nellie's overall power is starting to be realized. Sandeep has hit people below the belt a bit as well.

Of course, related to Sandeep, I had an absolute blast using Kudra to kill friendly Gamin as a (0). It denies Hunting Party and it causes all the death shenanigans to kick in, like the burning and poisonous pulses, or the ice grenade. Banasuva also proved to be an interesting hindrance, but he and the Gamin upgrades are tied to Sandeep, which means they'll never see use outside of Sandeep's summoning shenanigans.

Just going to say MLH can really flip a game turn on it's head.

Unable to be targeted outside of 3" can completely disrupt an enemies game plan, factor in (normally in my case) Yin and the Emissary getting 2 (0) actions off, can really block up the enemy. You do all of this in a single turn and let Phillip and the Nanny cycle 2 scheme markers, that is a 10 card hand my friends....

I've played a fair few games (30 odd) with Reva now and the biggest complaint is not Reva, it is MLH.

• Like 1

Terracotta Warriors are great - i like running them with iron levi and mitigate damage on DE, Lazarus or even Mech Rider.

Both new general outcast upgrades are powerful- return fire grants nice triggers for Gunslingers/Sue and The bigger they are is auto-include for Jack Daw.