Returning player frustrated over cards

Loomisc

So I am a returning player who is having a hard time dealing with cards. I have a lot of minis that I got when the game first came out. I enjoyed the game then but it fell out of favor locally so it sat in a box until recently. So when some of the locals decided to pick it up again I thought I would give it a try and see if I would still enjoy it.

I dug out my minis and proceeded to see exactly what I had. Then online to get a copy of the manual and the stat cards. Well, one of those items was easy pickings. The cards, not so much. No access to PDF replacement cards for the freikorps models I already have. After looking for a bit I realized I needed an arsenal pack. A bit of looking and I am disappointed that the wave 1 packs are no longer made. So I head to war game vault to get them. So no PDF there only print on demand with a 1-2 weeks wait. Further investigation makes me realize not only did I need the wave 1 box for my boxed set I had to get the wave 2 cards as well. 

Long story short, cards for older minis are handled like junk. I am fine with the print on demand as I can see there I no need to stock cards for older models. However a PDF option should also be availible so I don't have to wait several weeks to play the game. What should have been an easy time of re-leaning a game has turned into several days of frustration that almost led me to throw it all back in a box walk away. 

Sorry if this is just a rant and fairly unhelpful for most people. I just thought I would put this out there so Wyrd could see a situation that some will go through.

• Like 2

Yeah kind of have the same problem. Recently was unpacking and found some old rasputina models, but now have no easy way to get the cards for her crew. It is almost cheaper in Canada to just buy her boxset than to order the individual cards :(

Edit: Have the book and going to look into just copying the stuff I need some it and making my own cards. 

10 hours ago, wizuriel said:

Yeah kind of have the same problem. Recently was unpacking and found some old rasputina models, but now have no easy way to get the cards for her crew. It is almost cheaper in Canada to just buy her boxset than to order the individual cards :(

Edit: Have the book and going to look into just copying the stuff I need some it and making my own cards. 

Yeah I would have to buy two books to get the cards for my Freikorps box as they are not all in one book. Not doing that. If I had already had them it would definitely be an option. 

And yeah, if I was confident I was going to like it I would have just bought a new starter. Its just frustrating cause I have models, an opponent, but I am unable to play as I am waiting for my print to order cards to come in. 

Sorry mate, but it's more than 3 years they released 2ndE.

I doubt you can find a lot of miniature game that still runs on that old rules / rulebook- that's still in dev.

With that being said, you can either borrow a book and scan it or purchase the wave boxes. 

- If it all comes down to you checking whether or not you still like it, why not just play with the rules written on a piece of paper. 

Printing out cards etc just for one game seems like a hazzle. 

(Sorry if it came out harsh, really not meant to - it's just if you applied this logic to anything else.....)

Thought about that. Didnt want to spend moneyon the books if i did not like it. None if the locals have the book. They all use the manual and have 2e minis. 

Not harsh its actually the type of responses i expected. My situation is obviosly not unique either as some else posted in tge first day that tgey have tge same issue.   And they are ideas i thought of. Just trying to not spend any more money  up front than i need to. 

Also not expecting them to run on old rules. Its easy or quick access to current rules i am complaing about.

But the rules are available easily? You can buy the books. Malifaux is already quite unique in that you can forgo buying the books if you buy 2nd edition models. They stuck with the aresenal boxes for a really long itme and it's just not profitable for them to keep producing them and there's still the option of print on demand. You can always ask to borrow cards from someone else but if you want access to all model stats the rulesbooks really are the way to go. (Worth their money just for the fluff anyway imo)

17 minutes ago, Astrella said:

But the rules are available easily? You can buy the books. Malifaux is already quite unique in that you can forgo buying the books if you buy 2nd edition models. They stuck with the aresenal boxes for a really long itme and it's just not profitable for them to keep producing them and there's still the option of print on demand. You can always ask to borrow cards from someone else but if you want access to all model stats the rulesbooks really are the way to go. (Worth their money just for the fluff anyway imo)

Like everyone else. Missing the point. I don't want to buy two books for a game i am not sure I am going to like. 

And 1-2 weeks for print on demand. Im not one of these players looking for free stuff. I bought plenty of stuff before and I will do so again if I like it. Put my post up 4 days ago and still unable to play as I don't have the stats for the models I already paid for.

But you haven't really paid for the stats for the new models, have you - the whole game has been redesigned thoroughly and is much better for it. That means each and every model was endlessly playtested and then someone sat down and made a brand new stat card for it. In tabletop you don't pay for just the models, you pay for the rules just as much.

The PDFs are like $30 each, and you only need the first two. So that hardly breaks the bank.

Whats more, surely if people are playing it again near you, you can borrow cards and try out the game to see if you like it? Even if it's with different models. Someone has to have bought the books you need and be willing to let you photocopy the pages you need until your new cards arrive. Furtermore, I have duplicates of most of my cards from arsenal decks. If you ask around, you can probably find someone in your group who does too.

A two week wait (and that is basically no matter where you are in the world) to get new cards doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Wyrd are working on an app that soundslike it will make cards available to you for purchase, so they are aware of people in your situation, but I don't think your situation is as terrible as you seem to think it is.

Given that it's likely only an extremely small number of prople feel like you do, and that Wyrd is still a small company with limited resources, I doubt they will put someone to work for a week making separate profile-only PDFs for each faction (and what if someone only wants two or three models - can they have a pdf too?). Then again, Wyrd support the game very well and maybe they will do it, who knows. But I don't think it is reasonable to expect such a unique case to be catered for to be honest. Especially as the print on demand already sort of caters for it, just not instantaneously.

• Like 1

Fronts of the Von Schill crew cards:

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/unboxing-malifaux-von-schills-hired.html?m=1

(You'll be able to find photos of the fronts of almost any models card here, thanks to @GMort's excellent service)

For the Actions & Abilities on the backs of the cards, take notes for the various models from the Pullmyfinger wiki:

https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Von+Schill

The entries won't always have exactly what you need (like MI/Ca/Sh values, or Target Numbers, etc), but just for the next 2 weeks while you're waiting for your cards to arrive you'll have all the info you need to actually put models on the table and stay getting used to the rules, ideas and dynamics. If wager in fact that you'll probably only get 2-4 games in, in that time, and if you're starting fresh on this ruleset you'll have plenty to get your head around without worrying about whether a particular Shoot Action is at Sh 5 or Sh 6, etc.

A bit rough and ready, but you're just wanting to try out whether or not you like the game, right? This should do you till the cards arrive :-)

8 hours ago, Loomisc said:

Like everyone else. Missing the point. I don't want to buy two books for a game i am not sure I am going to like. 

And 1-2 weeks for print on demand. Im not one of these players looking for free stuff. I bought plenty of stuff before and I will do so again if I like it. Put my post up 4 days ago and still unable to play as I don't have the stats for the models I already paid for.

Like, I sympathize and am generally a proponent of free rules (why I like Guild Ball a lot) and I'd prefer if Malifaux worked like that as well, but you paid for me1 models, not me2 ones, you can play me1 malifaux just fine. Is there no-one in your community that has the freikorps cards? You could even proxy / borrow models and play another crew if you just wanted to see if you liked the new rules. Surely you can understand that years after the transition to me2 it's not really feasible for Wyrd anymore to keep the arsenal packs around considering how little they sell.

i managed to track down a wave 1 outcast box for all of 5 or 6 cards; some of the metals are better minis (or atleast available outside of £30 boxes.. i'm looking at you Alice) due to a local tournament not allowing printoffs!

Loomisc; PM me and i'll dig out the Freicorps for you!

while the print-on-demand is something, i too would like the option of printing my own; could put pictures of older models to help identify 'em and for things like Malifaux Rats can havea card per rat. especially as i've gotta look online to see how these plastics go together (i understand about saving money by not including instructions), a printable stat card would be a blessing!

I understand the frustration - I'd like to proxy some things to try out, and I've bought a lot of 1e boxes cheap, and not been able to play them until I get cards.

But Wyrd has chosen not to go the free route like Guild Ball (I don't know if any other game does that, really).  The instant they put out a PDF with cards that you can buy, it's worthless.  I guarantee one of the first 10 people to buy it puts it up online, and then it's everywhere, and they lose a ton of sales.  They did the generalist decks for a while after the transition, but most places don't stock those any more, and you'd have to buy them anyway.

I understand that you don't want to put money in to the game until you know if you like it, but barring someone local to try out, that's not how 99% of business models work.  You can likely find a local henchman to try out the system - they're required to have 2 crews to play out, so you can learn to play.  But if you want to play your models, you're going to have to either find some proxies or pay for the ability to do so.  You can't try most board games for free, you can't watch the first 20 minutes of a movie free, if you get a video game demo it's not going to be the parts you want to play.  That's really just the model we're in....

• Like 2