A competitive Mister Lynch

Frozen Feet

Hello 10T Masters.

Need some advice about Mister Lynch and his crew mates...

Which models do i have to add, to run him competitive in a generic 50SS game?

Which Upgrades should i choose?

Should i play him focussed only around the 'Brilliance Characteristic??

Many questions....

Tobi aka Frozen Feet

While mainly just playing the Latiago family I do hope to be of some help. As I did dive into Lynch. For me the starting route was to go the Brilliance route somewhat. These where my additional choices for his crew:

- Dark Debts Box
- The Depleted or Beckoners
- Mr. Graves
- Mr. Tannen

Besides this visually awesome crew of Neverborn/Ten Thunders mix it works incredibly well straight with this. By large because Mr. Graves is an excellent bodyguard for Jakob Lynch and most of the synergies are easy to implement and thus cool to play and rather quick to learn. Just make sure you continue to pick up those Aces ;).

As for upgrades I personally really like The Rising Sun (not too hard to pull of because Graves protects you) and Woke Up with a Hand (for more obvious reasons). Also be sure to check out the PullMyFinger tactica on him, it's a lot to chew trough but really worth the read. https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Jakob+Lynch Card manipulation, cycling and drawing are really Jakob Lynch's selling point, he's extremely potent within his 'theme'.

• Like 1

Think of Brillance as an opportunistic bonus, and not a goal.

As for a competitive list, good models to pick up are:

10T brothers. good scheme runners that are hard to remove.

Sensei Yu(if you can find the single or are fine with buying Shenlong's box), amazing support piece. 

Shadow Emissary(only if you don't get Yu, as the two will be filling a similar role). Another amazing support piece.

Beckoners. Lure is always a good ability and provides an option to give out brilliance before Hungering Darkness or an Illuminated starts attacking something.

Depleted. Good tarpits, AP intensive to remove.

Lone Swordsman. Amazing beater that is good at making sure a model is dead.

Katanaka Snipers for a ranged threat and some board control.

10T brothers and Yu/Emissary would be the most important buys. Next would be Beckoners. Then the Depleted, Lone Swordsman and Katanaka Snipers just providing more options.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, greenstuff_gav said:

Terror Tots; with Lynch being able to cheat in an Ace of Masks for their sprint they are stupidly mobile!

I don't think those are available while he's serving Ten Thunders.

___

Are Samurai any good in 'competitive' Lynch list? I've used them to good effect outside Lynch and I imagine he would really appreciate their card draw to fish out aces. Flip 4 cards per attack + potential damage flips. With ram trigger you occasionally get more than one attack per AP. With Sensei Yu or Emissary you can have 3AP thanks to fast, not to mention you won't be wasting that AP to walk.

• Like 1

I'd say TT Brothers go perfect with Lynch, and I personally prefer Yu over the Emissary because fast Lynches, flinging enemies around and that second Mulligan really solidifies the way I play him. Going Lynch basically gives you two choices. One is a lot of Brilliance play, which I kind of feel takes more resources and dedication yet won't be as flexible as simply a strong list that benefits from discarding aces and using high cards. Personally, I feel Beckoners are a tad expensive and if you want to stay in faction with your purchases because budget or w/e, you can easily do without them. What Lynch basically needs is another strong beater that benefits from the constant stream of high cards, and the rest can just fit the schemes.

Yin+Ama no Zako are a nice combo if you're up against living crews because they can essentially perma-paralyze certain models if they want to with their obeys and terrifying, the Swordsman and Ototo can both benefit a lot from all the aces you're discarding, and I'd imagine the Samurai could work, though you wouldn't need them unless you specifically want to play around getting a lot of aces/a specific ace. I'd say with the Illuminated and TTB you really have a strong base with which you can fill up any list, and then just add strong stuff really. A tengu might be nice cheap fodder if you think you might face a shitload of markers, but beyond them I'd just go for whatever fits the schemepool. 

Are you at all occupied with budget? Are you avoiding master boxes?

Lynch in TT is my "Main" master and I hope I can add some useful Information.

As santaclaws already stated, Brilliance heavy is not really necessary.

I have a Core Crew I'm always using:

- Lynch with Woke Up With a Hand, Rising Sun (3rd Slot open)
- Hungering Darkness with Hidden Agenda, Recalled Training
- Sensei Yu with Wandering River Style
- Shadow Emissary with Conflux of Hunger

This is already a hard hitting crew with good support and speed.

Depending on the strategy & schemes I'm adding different models like Samurai or Lone Swordsman. If you're using the Samurai as a range DD you can think about adding 52 pickup with Lynch. Otherwise I'm taking Recalled Training
If playing against Arcanists you can either take the Lone Swordsman or using a Melee Samurai (Armor ignore).

Adding an Oiran gives you some benefits when using Hidden Agenda on Huggy - I tried Oiran but I think that a Beckoners Lure is better (if you're planning to Lure your opponents into shooting lanes).

TT Bros are great. But as soon as you have an ace in hand, they become amazing. The same is with the Emissary's double focus.

Depleted are great 4ss models. They are minions but insignificant - Keep that in mind.

If you still have room, take a Sniper with you.

Illuminated, Stitched, Tannen, Graves....they are all great models in some crews but IMO a competitive TT Lynch crew does not need them.

Hope that helps a bit.

3 hours ago, Valgaav said:

What schemes and strats would you say the list you espouse above is best at?

I played against a friend of mine - He was preparing himself for an upcoming tournament (he played Wong).

We played Collect the Bounty - I took Take Prisoner (Lazarus) and Search the Ruins.

In theory my Samurai was a good choice against his many Stuffed piglets but he died really early in the game :(

For other strats:

The core crew stays the same - You should try to have a cache of around 4-5 using it primarily for dmg prevention.

For killy strats like Reckoning and Collect the Bounty I would take a more shooty crew with Samurai (Favor of Jigoku), a TT bro and a Beckoner. Fast Push the Samurai with the Emissary or Yu and don't forget his walking fire Trigger.
For Headhunter I would swap the Samurai with the Lone Swordsman (with Recalled Training) and the Beckoner for something else. 

You will have issues with Interference because of a relatively low model number. But you have a killy crew so use it against the enemy. TT is fast but don't rush - Lynch is really squishy. Set your Team up behind cover and attack on the beginning of turn 2.

Board control strats like Turf War or Extraction will need some melee DD. You can also consider taking Depleted. They are great tarpits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDeathTrout said:

I really like using beckoners to lure Yu into position.  The issue I have with Yu is that giving out Fast takes two AP.  He does a lot with those two AP, but he can't move himself if he's giving out fast. For 1 AP a beckoner can lure Yu 7" and with the right suit push herself.

Yep that's a great idea. In most of my games Yu is the lonely guy in the back of my deployment zone crying for company.

Lynch works pretty great with whatever you feel like playing so you can go for a crew with very few having to delve into the faction as a whole or go really deep, both to great effect.

I originally ran him very thematic with:

If you don't have access to a lot of the faction

Lynch: Woke Up With a Hand, Expert Cheater, and Endless Hunger (Expert Cheater is just fun and Squeal is good)

Darkness: Broken Promises, Addict (Broken Promises makes enemies get :-fate's to everything targeting him including Horror, so he is basically untouchable for a whole Turn)

2 x Illuminated (They hit so hard with Brilliance and live even harder generally)

2 x Beckoners (Wk once and Lure and Illuminated forward without losing any movement is pretty great, also they give out Brilliance)

2 x Depleted (tar pit and speedy with other Brilliance models) OR 2 x Tengu (for running Schemes) OR Graves (for murderising)

I ran him as a hand cycling master recently too and it was very effective:

Only if you have access to a lot of the faction

Lynch: Woke Up With a Hand, Wanna See A Trick, and Endless Hunger (Lynch is very good at giving a single model Brilliance, so if you get aces in hand 52 Pickup is very worthwhile)

Darkness: Broken Promises, and Death Contract (same but cheaper and with consequences for killing him)

Ototo: Call the Thunder, and Recalled Training (He has Flurry to discard a Ace which is great and he can fish for Aces with his heal)

Samurai: Favour of Jigoku, and False Target (:+fate:+fate:+fate is pretty great for getting those Aces in hand, and hitting those :ram makes that happen often)

2 x Rail Workers (They have a discard so work with Aces, and can target friendlies with their (0) :ranged that does no damage to fish for Aces)

2 x 10T Brothers (These guys work really well because their (0) needs Aces, they are especially great at Ace fishing if you have an Ace of :ram because you can draw two cards and discard an                               Ace, they are also great targets for the Rail Workers' :ranged as they can potentially hit :tome and go Defensive

• Like 3

I actually prefer the Shadow Emissary with Lynch over Sensei Yu. Sensei Yu can push a model 10" and give fast but requiring two 6+ cards. Emissary can push a model 8" and give fast requiring only one 4+ card. Of course, Sensei Yu is more flexible in the fact that he can target anything while Emissary can only target non-leaders with upgrades with his first push. This is usually not a problem the way I play Lynch, since the models I want to push almost always are non-leaders with upgrades (Huggy, Graves, Yin, Lone Swordsman etc.). Another good thing about the Emissary is that he can do all this and still walk forward, so he doesn't fall behind like Yu. The Emissary also tends to have more impact later with its superior damage potential. I suppose the big drawback of the Emissary is not being able to give fast to Lynch.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paradigm said:

I actually prefer the Shadow Emissary with Lynch over Sensei Yu. Sensei Yu can push a model 10" and give fast but requiring two 6+ cards. Emissary can push a model 8" and give fast requiring only one 4+ card. Of course, Sensei Yu is more flexible in the fact that he can target anything while Emissary can only target non-leaders with upgrades with his first push. This is usually not a problem the way I play Lynch, since the models I want to push almost always are non-leaders with upgrades (Huggy, Graves, Yin, Lone Swordsman etc.). Another good thing about the Emissary is that he can do all this and still walk forward, so he doesn't fall behind like Yu. The Emissary also tends to have more impact later with its superior damage potential. I suppose the big drawback of the Emissary is not being able to give fast to Lynch.

You are right but don't forget Yu's (0) and don't forget the option to push Scheme Markers in place. Emissary and Yu are fulfilling different roles imho.

• Like 1

I'm always a little confused by people shying away from a Brilliance list - I find it incredibly dependable. Huggy dishes it out with relatively ease, and then usually once per game I active Lynch early (which in itself can catch your opponent off guard) and mark 2-3 opponent models. Those models will be dead by the end of the turn, almost without fail. All it really needs is a couple of illuminated (which you probably take anyway) and Addict on Huggy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

I like having 4AP masters and copying their (0) actions. If you don't crave those then I can imagine Emissary being a preferred alternative.

Yep, it's certainly a strong option. In the case of Lynch I tend to not need it that much because I like playing him further back, and I also don't use Woke Up With a Hand or Wanna See a Trick all that often. Since it is so important to keep Lynch alive, and my meta is full of either strong alpha strikes with a huge threat range (double pushed Nekimas, Marcus with Alpha'd and fast Cerberus with effectively two activations) or simply Belle-lists, trying to maximize Lynch's offense often makes it too hard to keep him alive. I often activate him early, use him to optimize my hand and position in case I need to get Huggy back, and if an enemy overextends I dish out damage with either his ram trigger or setting up enemies with Brilliance. In that role Sensei Yu tends to provide less of what I need than the Emissary.

But yeah, if you want to make maximum use of his last activation card draw and burst damage potential Sensei Yu would be better. It is also a good point that the scheme moving tricks of Sensei Yu can be incredibly strong, so I absolutely approve of picking him in those kinds of schemes. I suppose I seldom do so because I tend to play Shenlong instead in those matches.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! my first post here i hope it's in right topic.

I'm rather new player, and I'm aiming at Lynch as my main master. 

I'm going on local event, game size 45 SS

First round is:  Standard deployment Strategy: Interference Schemes: Convict Labour, Show of Force, Exhaust their Forces, Set Up, Search the Ruins

I want to take crew listed below: 44 SS (2 in pool)

Lynch: Rising Sun, Recalled Training, Dragon stone 

Huggy: Recalled Training

Toshiro: Command the graves

Shadow Emissary: Conflux of Hunger

2x Katanaka Sniper

Ten Thunders Brother

I want to pick Search the Ruins and Exhaust their Forces. I'm planing to play defensive game at begining, shoot with snipers boosted by toshiros free focus, and blasts from emissary. 

Mid/late game - toshiro summning ashigaru from corpse markers to secure strategy VP, and slowly going to the center of the board making schemes.

What do you think about list and strategy? I know that it strongly depends what's going to be on the other side of the table, but this is my general idea :).

2 hours ago, Findar said:

First round is:  Standard deployment Strategy: Interference Schemes: Convict Labour, Show of Force, Exhaust their Forces, Set Up, Search the Ruins

2x Katanaka Sniper

Ten Thunders Brother

I want to pick Search the Ruins and Exhaust their Forces. I'm planing to play defensive game at begining, shoot with snipers boosted by toshiros free focus, and blasts from emissary. 

Mid/late game - toshiro summning ashigaru from corpse markers to secure strategy VP, and slowly going to the center of the board making schemes.

What do you think about list and strategy? I know that it strongly depends what's going to be on the other side of the table, but this is my general idea :).

I'd go for just the one sniper - maybe replace it with an Illuminated - and I'm honestly not a fan of the Emissary for Lynch - lacks any form of synergy. Though if you insist on it give Huggy the 0 upgrade for the Oiran. And unless you're planning to summon lots I'm not entirely sold on Toshiro. For Lynch I'd leave out the Dragon Stone, especially with only 2 SS, and I would take Woke up with a Hand. What models do you have?

16 hours ago, Findar said:

2x Katanaka Sniper

Ten Thunders Brother

I think you have a pretty good list for the strategy, though I would like to make a few suggestions. Rising Sun is great on Lynch so that you can get Huggy back, but I personally don't like Recalled Training or Dragon Stone on him. Woke Up With a Hand is a good upgrade, though I often leave it out and go with only Rising Sun. That way you won't be tempted to overextend Lynch and get him killed. Lynch can still do good damage with the ram trigger on his gun, which he can simply discard any ram or use a soulstone to get. Lynch's big focus the way I play him is to guarantee a good hand via Mulligan and keeping him just far enough back that he can go up and tag things with Brilliance to get Huggy back when needed. Huggys 3" range will be invaluable to deny Interference for the opponent. Also put Hidden Agenda on him, since it costs 0 SS and makes sure the Emissary can always give Huggy Fast, even after having discarded Recalled Training.

Toshiro can be pretty strong in Interference, so that would be a good choice. I personally love the Shadow Emissary with Lynch. Huggy becomes much better with easy access to Fast, and the extra 0 action push is incredible. You can use it to get your models into range, pull them back out of your opponents threat range, move either your own or the opponent's models to score/deny Interference etc. I have tried double Snipers, but found it to be too resource intensive. They pretty much need to hit severe to be worth their cost, and that will require too many high cards that would be better spent on Huggy or the Emissary.  A Brother is always great.

Worth considering is removing one Sniper to squeeze in an Illuminated. I would also remove Recalled Training and Dragon Stone from Lynch and keeps the stones for extra cache. You pretty much need them to make Toshiro's summoning reliable.

As for schemes you should have a look at how good your opponent would be at scoring Show of Force. If he has few upgrades that work for that scheme, I would go with Show of Force. Huggy tends to be near the middle anyway to tie things up, and Toshiro could go within 6" of the center if it would score you points. Search the Ruins is good if you can kill enough enemy models, but it's kinda risy. Exhaust is usually a safe bet, but it could mean giving up points on Interference and Search the Ruins if you keep things alive instead of killing. Set Up is only good if the opponent has a model that they are guaranteed to send your way, like Nekima. If you don't take Set Up you should still bluff it by putting down random scheme markers for your extra VP. I would stay away from Convict Labour with your list, since it lacks the necessary scheme marker shenanigans to pull it off.

• Like 2