Homemade Cabochon Tokens

retnab

Hey all, thought I'd share with you some tokens that I put together for my Arcanists!  I'm using 20mm brass basing and cabochons as the core, with printed tokens that I put together myself.

8TV4Ru2.jpg

I had the idea from a PG_Tylo on the Warmachine forum years ago, and also the directions given by Mr.Inquizarus in this link here.  Making the token pictures was pretty easy, I went through a couple different designs and ended up using a cropped version of the Arcanist logos seen on the Upgrade backs, cropped to make them uniform and with a gradient circle around them (I used this Marker Generator site for the gradient outline).  I made the tokens to be 50mm size, so everything else had to be upped 2.5x in the file to all look nice at 20mm.  As you can see from the stuck hair in my token for Solo above, human error's still a thing :P But while basically all of the tokens have tiny air bubbles, as you can see above most aren't really visible from more than a few inches away.

UomNadk.jpg

Best part about this?  Each token costs about $0.15 to make.  Yeah.  I got the cabochon bases here, and the cabochons here.  Putting together the file to print out took less than an hour once I had the design figured out and the list of abilities I wanted to make them for.  You can find the token background and the file I made here, it's for nearly all the Arcanist things (sorry Marcus players, it doesn't have any of the Beasts, I don't play him so didn't work on it).  Anyways I hope you all like how they turned out, and some of you are inspired to make some of your own! :) 

• Like 4

Thanks!  I'm glad this is getting some love :) I agree that having the extra information is nice on the tokens, for myself it wasn't as much of an option because I wanted Sandeep's Beaconable abilities to be on tokens as well, and it's hard to fit anything else with "As Your Deed, So Your Destiny" lol.  One thing I forgot to mention above is that the cabochons have a magnifying effect on everything, so you can probably get away with smaller text size than I used, as you can see here:

ACFSryr.jpg

And in regards to:

On 10/13/2016 at 2:40 AM, Mutter said:

But this part I don't understand: " I made the tokens to be 50mm size, so everything else had to be upped 2.5x in the file to all look nice at 20mm. "

In the original file I made the token pictures in I tried doing everything at the size I wanted (20mm) but when I printed it out the quality was pretty bad (see pic below, the 20mm size one is on the right and the 50mm one is on the bottom in the base).  So to get more dpi (dots per inch) I increased the size of everything by 2.5x (20mm became 50mm, 12pt font became 30pt, etc), put that into a page sized file (850x1100 pixel sized file became 2125x2750), and printed it that way.  As you can see, making the dpi higher makes the picture way clearer.  I could have done it even higher but I figured this was fine enough for what I wanted.

GTmXXvF.jpg

I have no idea why the colour is so different between the two from the same style, it's all the same on my computer, but you can really see how unclear and pixelized the one I did as 20mm in the file was.

• Like 1

How thick do they end up being?

---

If you are worried about dpi I'd recommend doing your art in vector graphics, then you'll always print at whatever the printer can handle. @Ratty used to have a page with pdfs that had vectors of the Malifaux faction icons (if you open a pdf in e.g. Inkscape it will pull out any vectors in it), but it seems to be down now.

They end up being ~5-6mm tall and 22mm wide.  And I have absolutely no doubt there are better ways to do the pictures haha, I'm beginner tier for this art stuff.

Edit: I've also gone back and fixed a few typos in my file (noticed my Karait's Blessing was written as Krait's, oops lol) and also added on a little Condition marker on all Condition effects, basically just to make it easier for my opponent to know what effects I'm throwing on them that they can get rid of.  It's half the text size and not bolded, but still pretty visible from a distance which I'm happy with.

WdsE2Bg.jpg

On 10/14/2016 at 2:13 AM, Mutter said:

So now all we need to do is get you to play all other factions as well, so that you can do their tokens, too.

But seen as this is Malifaux, that shouldn't prove too difficult ... :D

KlYOgCZ.png

There's the other faction backs, made the same way I did the Arcanist ones (took under 10 mins to do that image). I don't think I have the patience to make a full file for every single faction though :P 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...