Rasputina for a Guild Player

Surrealistik

14 hours ago, Surrealistik said:

Possible lists (Which is better? Ice Gamin + 2x Imbued Energy, or an extra Silent One? Perhaps maxing out the Cache and taking 2x Imbued?):

My take on this would be something like:

Rasputina + Seize the Day, Armour of December, Cold Nights (4 SS Cache)

Wendigo

Snow Storm

Blessed of December

Silent One

Silent One (or Ice Dancer, if the scheme pool calls for her)

Kudra

Ice Gamin

Ofc you can change a Silent One and the Blessed for an Acolyte or two, but I don't think you need much more shooting in this list...

@angyi

Silent Ones over Acolytes is pretty unexpected; the latter is just so good, especially as they give you excellent Ice Mirror placement and board control from the top of T1 besides their general SS efficiency/value. For example: 6" (deployment from board edge) + 6" (Snow Storm's 1 AP of movement) + 2" (Snowstorm's base size; 8" total traveled via December's Command) + 10" (range of Ice Mirror to December's Acolyte deployed up-board) + 12" (Range of December's Curse) = 36" or the entire board length.

That said though I agree the list I proposed is pretty shoot heavy, though Acolytes and Kudra both have pretty decent melee, and Silent Ones can cast into (and in) melee easily enough.

@Surrealistik

Acolytes are ace, but in my opinion they're niche models with Rasputina. This is an old topic here, and I'm with the minority who don't value them over Silent Ones and the Blessed. From The Shadows certainly gives you serious alpha strike potential, but IMO of the feast-or-famine kind. Often times the more conservative deployment pays off better. On the other hand, they make your ranged game even more devastating, and they really don't do anything else. While this can lead you to tabling the opponent, also can lead you to suffering because of a limited range of tactical choices.

Please note that I'm not trying to convince you not to use Acolytes. They are very good models, especially if you play Colette or Marcus :) I just wanted to give you another take on that Kudra list that's somehow different than yours. Can be a playstyle thing or meta-game thing, but I never field more than one Acolyte, and even then, I must have a good reason to do so. With Rasputina, that is.

@angyi

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Silent Ones in light of their versatility, and ability to exploit Ice Mirror shenanigans, much as their crap defenses and mobility act as counterpoint. I think I would definitely take at least one Acolyte so that you have at least one mirror upfield ready to use though. I understand that you do have the Blessed, but I get the impression it's going to see engagement pretty often; do you think an Arcane Emissary in lieu of it would be any good (not having Leap is a massive mobility compromise for sure, I get that)?

In defense of the Acolytes, I will say that you don't _have_ to go for broke, and that you can put em in a pretty safe location up fielde; From The Shadows gives you some really nice flexibility in that respect; it's just really nice to have mirrors pre-set in good positions for board control without having to blow precious AP and turns on positioning.

3 hours ago, Surrealistik said:

I understand that you do have the Blessed, but I get the impression it's going to see engagement pretty often; do you think an Arcane Emissary in lieu of it would be any good (not having Leap is a massive mobility compromise for sure, I get that)?

The Emissary is your ultimate ice mirror, since it's resilient and doesn't care of being engaged. The Emissary and Snow Storm together make a formidable front line. Then again, the Blessed is definitely more mobile, so it's up to you if you want to trade some of the awesomeness for extreme mobility. (Also remember, you can leap out of engagement no problem.)

Acolytes are fine, now and forever. Having one never hurts, but two make your list too much of a gunline. With Rasputina, you simply don't need that amount of extra ranged. What you need is more mobility, more melee and more utility IMO.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, angyi said:

The Emissary is your ultimate ice mirror, since it's resilient and doesn't care of being engaged. The Emissary and Snow Storm together make a formidable front line. Then again, the Blessed is definitely more mobile, so it's up to you if you want to trade some of the awesomeness for extreme mobility. (Also remember, you can leap out of engagement no problem.)

Acolytes are fine, now and forever. Having one never hurts, but two make your list too much of a gunline. With Rasputina, you simply don't need that amount of extra ranged. What you need is more mobility, more melee and more utility IMO.

Smell Weakness is amazing for bolstering the shots fired through the ice mirror network. The only reasons for going with more than one that I can think of is just in case your opponent is relying on armor/HtK to stay alive and is willing to piece trade to kill the forward deployed Acolyte, or you're going with Frame for Murder and putting the Acolyte in the opposing master's face.

Outside of that, yeah: bring mobility. Pure Raspy ends up being slow moving, low Df and very susceptible to melee and denial/control interfering with schemes. Mobile pieces (Ice Dancers, Luther/Blessed) can run schemes for you while still being potential ice mirror nodes while your drastically slower core moves into place to rack up kills.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2016 at 2:11 PM, Surrealistik said:

@crimzzen Interesting take. The idea of tying up 11 SS strictly or even largely as a placebot, and in general a wholesale reliance on Snow Storm is more than a little concerning to me, but I suppose I'd have to try the list to see how it plays out in practice.

Eh to each their own.  If using snowstorm as a placebot wins you the game then it was a fantastic use of 11 pts.  He's got a decent enough ranged attack and is fairly protected from shooting attacks; He can be a placebot while still contributing.  Shooting an ice gamin and blasting off of that is a great way to extend his range and make up for his middling cast attack value, especially with the gamin aura.  This weekend I played against summoning Dreamer and my snowstorm was basically used to pull models back from being lured by lilitu.  Once the game closed up a bit he went into blast mode to clear out madness' near the pillars.  During another game this weekend vs Wong with Roosters and McTavish he basically stood in front of raspy blocking LoS to her from guns and being a non-optimal target to shoot at.  Wong came in to blast, did some damage, and was promptly dragged in by an acolyte and devoured by a wendigo.  Model's don't necessarily need to always be killing stuff to be worth their points, even aggressively geared ones imo.

One could say that wholesale reliance on snowstorm frees up the rest of my list to do what it wants to do best at 100% efficiency.  I've considered trying the emissary as giving raspy and out of action AP could be very powerful (focus blast focus blast or OoA ice walls, etc) and a reliable ice mirror but against, if my plan involves using ice mirrors i'll always take the upgrade to improve that.  Ca7 guarantees paralysis vs a def7 or lower model (baring jokers) while Ca5 gives your opponent too likely a chance to avoid it.  The ice bridge is a neat alternative to snowstorms place but decidedly weaker.

Again though, this is all subjective based on meta experience, YMMV! haha! In any case, have fun with her, she's a blast!

• Like 1