The M&SU and what else?

Frozen Feet

Hello Ramos Experts

I am the owner of a Colette, a Marcus, a Raspy and a Kaeris Crew.

Thinkin about to purchase a Ramos Crew box..

Mostly because of 2 things:

- want to summon like a god damned Resser

-Hank & Joss

So what models do i have to add, for a generalist 50SS Game??

.....and is anybody out there playin Large Arachnids??.. and when, because of what??..

Greetings, Tobi aka Frozen Feet

Lazarus worked well for me as a starting payer with Ramos, think my earliest purchases were Ramos, Lazarus and Soulstone Miners and I made a mobile toolkit and Rail Golem. usually I took Joss and two beaters with a couple of SS miners to scheme with then summoned my way to victory from there. I never used my mech Rider but he should be good with Ramos if you want to turn summoning up to 11. 

• Like 1

Because I know you own Johan, at first just the Ramos box is fine.

Ramos with his upgrades, Brass Arachnid, Joss, Howard, Johan, a Steam Arachnid... sprinkled with Bleeding Edge Tech and a large dose of Imbued Energies, and you have a list.

The single Arachnid is only there to die and be replaced with more arachnids.

For later you can think about more stuff... Soulstone miners, Mobile Toolkit, Electrical Creation, Large Arachnids, Arcane Emissary, Mechanical Rider (order is random) are all things that I have played with him. More Arachnids are advised at some point, because maybe you also want to have swarms.

If you want more advice, we actually see each other in November, I think, at the Evolution tournament in Bremen :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frozen Feet said:

So what models do i have to add, for a generalist 50SS Game??

.....and is anybody out there playin Large Arachnids??.. and when, because of what??..

There's actually a few different build paths that Ramos can work with. Almost all his builds will want a cheap construct to die on turn for your scrap engine - and this is where Large Arachnids are useful.

They produce 1 extra scrap on successful kills, so if you can get one to kill a Steam Arachnid or Mobile Toolkit, you have enough scrap for two turns worth of summoning - remember Ramos summons only once per activation and requires a scrap marker for it.

They're also good if there's scheme markers around as they're able to eat them for bonuses. 

5 hours ago, angyi said:

In my experience Angelica is solid gold in most M&SU crews. In every M&SU crew, actually, that you don't build with a very specific goal.

Honestly, she can find a place even in some of those very specific goal builds. I've been contemplating a pretty disgusting build where I slingshot highly buffed, reactivating Coryphee at the opponent near the end of turn of turn one then secure initiative on turn two (Seize the Day is broken) and go to town. Angelica is very helpful in assuring this build works.

I agree with you, and thoroughly recommend Angelica; in almost all Arcanist builds she has a place if the schemes agree. 

• Like 1

The Creative Salvage of Large Steam Arachnids comes in very handy for Ramos, which has already been covered.

The consumption of scheme markers is amazing. I'm actually surprised you haven't at least tried them in a Grab and Drop Kaeris list, since that can drop scheme markers all over the place. I use them in many crews for the explicit purpose of eating scheme markers in order to deny scoring and getting a full round of fully focused hitting. They are minions, so Bleeding Edge Tech helps them recover if they haven't been killed outright.

• Like 1

What models are needed.

If you want the summoner you need the summons.  At least one additional box of spiders, maybe two depending.

Large Steam Arachnid is an excellent model all round and very good with Ramos.

If you don't have the Arcane Effigy it is a must include I think with Ramos, cheap, significant, condition removal and a construct, 11/10 piece.

Rail Workers are excellent models from the Mei Feng box, this is a little outside the parameters and expensive but if you were ever thinking of Kung Fu Arcanist then this is another reason, great construct characteristic cheap'ish' minions.

The Soulstone Miner is a first teir scheme runner and very good construct model in Ramos crews.

The Electrical Creation is another Ramos summon and somewhat useful.  Not essential unless you take the upgrade but solid.

Likewise the Mobile Toolkit is very cheap and OK, if only as an early turn scrap generator.

Those are the collection of models and constructs I'd mark as particularly worth noting.

Other very useful models include Angelica who provides great mobility and is very good in many crews.  Raptors which are very cheap and irritating to your opponent, although less good with Ramos than other faction masters.  December Acolytes are among the best value minions in the game and can always be considered.  Silent Ones are solid pieces with healing.  The Rail Golem is a construct and can do amazing work (or die easily) he is worth a look but generally Howard is preferred.  The Mechanical Rider is superb, the best Rider in many minds and can also summon, it is a piece which is worth consideration if only to use occasionally and simply over summon any opponent with cheap construct waves. 

Mercenary wise if you do not own Johan/Johanna then I'd probably invest.  Lazarus is a very good hard hitting ranged construct.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

The consumption of scheme markers is amazing. I'm actually surprised you haven't at least tried them in a Grab and Drop Kaeris list, since that can drop scheme markers all over the place. I use them in many crews for the explicit purpose of eating scheme markers in order to deny scoring and getting a full round of fully focused hitting. They are minions, so Bleeding Edge Tech helps them recover if they haven't been killed outright.

It can work sometimes, but I'm not sure it's something you should focus too heavily on. It costs you resources to get those markers. Even with Kaeris, you're spending AP in one way or another, or a valuable 0 action, to get those 'free' scheme markers. 

Most players have a very purposeful goal with their scheme markers. When I pick a scheme requiring them, or want to fake a scheme requiring them, I aim to dedicate exactly enough AP to get the marker(s) down where I need it, no more, and then focus elsewhere. This isn't true for every player, but I think it's fairly consistent. 

So in a marker heavy scheme pool, being able to leech extra AP from your opponent in order for them to secure VP, or outright deny VP, are both awesome. That's where this 6ss metal bug really shines.

But eating your own markers can be a trap. If you're playing Colette, then sure go right ahead, since everyone gets to place markers as a 0 so it's not costing you much. But everyone else is spending resources / managing positioning to achieve it. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not.

• Like 2