Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

On 30/8/2017 at 3:25 PM, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Had a go with the new upgrade for the Lucky Emissary & Zipp (Conflux of Showboating).  While the ability to move through HT 1 & 2 is cute, I didn't feel much love for the Death Wheel effect. I would've preferred if it had been a Once-Per-Turn effect on each individual model, rather than only during its activation. That would've also have made Zipp's (0) Grap a Rope action a bit more "fun". It is already a low TN of 12 WK (obviously Zipp's BZZZAP!! can make that harder to reach, but still). 

Yeah, it's quite lackluster to be honest....

can't see any good use for it

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 4:32 AM, EpicWaffle said:

So sorry for the delay, but I had quite some trouble finding time for the report! The game went great, with a solid 10-3 for me. Amazing thing about the new upgrade is that you can play as recklessly as you want with Zipp, since you can always bury and summon a Bayou (this will also grant you an extra activation). It's also cool to have some bayous hanging around to use as exploding kamikaze thanks to poorly handled explosives (but care, because this will reduce the number of "jumps" Zipp can make, as he's going to sacrifice himself after that.

Oh and I thought giving mood swing wound t had been that much of a deal, but in reality, being able to dictate your opponent activation order is quite nice (considering you're doing it for a 0)

in conclusion, it's a great tool to grant amazing mobility and survivability for a master that really didn't t needed a buff in that department (which makes me wonder why they gave something like this to him), and allows you to adopt a sort of "Leveticus-esque" playstyle, where you go in, deals as much damages as you can, and go out without getting any "backlash" (here the mask trigger on up we go is even more amazing, because it allows you to use your 0 in a place where the Bayou won't die instantly).

Only concern I have, is if with this play style earl is still worth or not, but I'll give it a couple of shots before jumping to conclusions 

I think Earl becomes a decent scheme runner. Zipp can drag Earl kill or throw a flanking scheme runner turn one and leave earl and a bayou all by their lonesome to do what they need to do. Then the next turn Zipp is in the thick of it at another bayou.

• 1 month later...

Well that was a long read! 

Just went through the list, and I feel like I’ve got a good handle on what to bring and how to use it.

My main opponent runs Rasputina,  her crew box, snow storm, silent ones...

Any specific advice? Tina’s blasts just shred me.

Thanks!

On 19.10.2017 at 10:21 PM, Reako said:

Well that was a long read! 

Just went through the list, and I feel like I’ve got a good handle on what to bring and how to use it.

My main opponent runs Rasputina,  her crew box, snow storm, silent ones...

Any specific advice? Tina’s blasts just shred me.

Thanks!

Fly to raspy, place her as far away from snowstorm as you can do. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I've read through this post twice. Lots of great info.

I recently received Zipp in a gift exchange for our local escalation league. I'm a bit stumped on his upgrades and the sky pirate upgrades.

Which upgrades would you suggest as a good starting point for Zipp, the first mate, and the iron Skeeters?

Thanks.

Played my first 30ss game with Zipp vs Titania. Lots of fun. Dropped some pianos and dropped some opponent models. I've got a few questions for crew building.

I used:

30 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 5 Pool
 - Hovering Airship (1)
 - No Quarter (1)
Earl Burns (3)
The First Mate (9)
 - Treasure Map (0)
 - Where The Captain Can't See (1)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Poorly Handled Explosives (0)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Next game we'll be at a bigger crew  size. 

What are some good ways to get some card draw in Gremlins? 

What are some good additions for increasing the damage output of the crew?

Francois Lacroix with an iron skeeter with poorly handled explosives is a good alpha strike. Give frank the condition, fly him up the board and give him fast, companion into him and charge the enemy with 4 dumb luck attacks, let francois die and do 4 dmg from the death pulse. This can be really painfull and you will most likely be able to trade francois for a lot more of your opponents models.

• Like 1

First piece of advice would be to ditch Hovering Airship from Zipp and give it to a different member of his crew. Even though it has the same effects regardless of who it's attached to, when you use the attack with Zipp, that's AP you're not spending on his fantastic other actions, while an Iron Skeeter has less powerful actions so the opportunity cost isn't as great.

Otherwise, you already have Burt, so for more damage I'd go for Francois (I would personally not do Poorly Handled Explosives and let him die, I'd probably make the opponent kill him, but it's a decent strat - definitely make him fast with an Iron Skeeter though), Raphael LaCroix is a personal favourite of mine. Also Lightning Bugs are just really solid. Slop Haulers can also pack a punch even if you bring them primarily for healing.

For card draw I'd recommend Zipp's upgrade Rambling Diatribe. It gives him a (0) that makes the target reveal their hand, discard all cards of that suit, then draw as many as they discarded. Just use it on one of your own models to cycle out bad cards. I'm also not a huge fan of Earl, so I like to bring Old Cranky with him, who gives you more card cycling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

First piece of advice would be to ditch Hovering Airship from Zipp and give it to a different member of his crew. Even though it has the same effects regardless of who it's attached to, when you use the attack with Zipp, that's AP you're not spending on his fantastic other actions, while an Iron Skeeter has less powerful actions so the opportunity cost isn't as great.

Otherwise, you already have Burt, so for more damage I'd go for Francois (I would personally not do Poorly Handled Explosives and let him die, I'd probably make the opponent kill him, but it's a decent strat - definitely make him fast with an Iron Skeeter though), Raphael LaCroix is a personal favourite of mine. Also Lightning Bugs are just really solid. Slop Haulers can also pack a punch even if you bring them primarily for healing.

For card draw I'd recommend Zipp's upgrade Rambling Diatribe. It gives him a (0) that makes the target reveal their hand, discard all cards of that suit, then draw as many as they discarded. Just use it on one of your own models to cycle out bad cards. I'm also not a huge fan of Earl, so I like to bring Old Cranky with him, who gives you more card cycling.

I love Raphael when I have Rams, I dont really like him without them tho. So if your bringing raphael make sure to bring rambling diatribe and look for those rams and save them for raphael.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Swissdictator said:

Zipp was the first Gremlin master I played, Wong was the second. Both are fantastically fun. Both times just the main boxes, as I need to add more to them.

I'm thinking of running Sparks with them, as it seems like a reasonable choice.

Would they work well together in a team environment?

Zipp for sure. Sparks is particularly brilliant with a Skeeter, try him with one, MechPork and/or some Survivors.

I've played 10 games with Zipp now. So far I've got 9 wins and 1 loss (was winning end of turn 5, lost on turn 6). I'm really enjoying him so far. Here are some observations based on my games so far.

My list has been:

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 4 Pool
 - The Gift of Gab (1)
 - Hovering Airship (1)
Earl Burns (3)
The First Mate (9)
 - Where The Captain Can't See (1)
 - Treasure Map (0)
Francois LaCroix (8)
 - Stilts (1)
Burt Jebsen (8)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Gremlin Taxidermist (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Poorly Handled Explosives (0)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

Hovering airship on Zipp is awesome. I usually spend turn 1 and 2 dropping pianos with Zipp with the free mask from Earl Burns and hiding around the edges. In the later turns I usually try to interfere with Zipp and harass expensive beaters and masters with up we go.

I usually use Earl Burns for the suits on turn 1 and 2 and then try to get him into position to score some points for schemes or strategies.

The whole list is incredibly mobile with the iron skeeter, Zipp and the first mate. It gives some good insurance for schemes like covert breakthrough.

The first mate has been mixed. Some games he leaps to the back and score a scheme on his own. Some games he doesn't do too much. I may start switching him out in different strategies.

Taxidermist and Burt Jebsen are nice and consistent in melee. Taxidermist is fun to get some annoying stuffed piglets out.

Francois has been a bit underwhelming. Mostly just poor flips so far.

I've found the crew plays quite differently from my usual guild crews. I tend to fly around the outside, spread out until I need to move in to score points. I've found the large number of attacks can make it fairly killy.

I plan to start playing around with a few swaps. I might rotate the first mate with Gracie and McTavish (with a few as tweaks) depending on what I need in a game. I'm finding the new gg2018 needs different models more for different games.

Zipp has been a lot of fun so far.

• Like 2

Hi all! 

i've got two questions (as a neophyte) please:

Earl burns have an ability "get your hands off me" that when a sky pirates declares a walk action within 1, this model can be placed in base contact with model"

This ability work also with zipp's trigger "my work done, i race triumph. into the clouds" (after succeding, this model take a walk action.)? Or the walk must be declared?

On Zipp do you prefer attack "hovering airship" upgrade for haveing a stronger sh action..(with earl with +) or do you prefere use rambling diatribe for cycling cards on your personal models?

thanks in advance!

52 minutes ago, TeddyBear said:

Hi all! 

i've got two questions (as a neophyte) please:

Earl burns have an ability "get your hands off me" that when a sky pirates declares a walk action within 1, this model can be placed in base contact with model"

This ability work also with zipp's trigger "my work done, i race triumph. into the clouds" (after succeding, this model take a walk action.)? Or the walk must be declared?

On Zipp do you prefer attack "hovering airship" upgrade for haveing a stronger sh action..(with earl with +) or do you prefere use rambling diatribe for cycling cards on your personal models?

thanks in advance!

Any time you take a walk action you have to declare the action (Its the first step of taking the action), and also if you are leaving a models engagement. So it doesn't matter how Zipp is taking the walk action, Earl can  be placed in base contact. 

Bonus, if Zipp trys to take a walk action and fails to disengage, Earl can't place in base contact because Zipp hasn't completed the Walk action. 

On your upgrade question it probably depends a lot on what I want to do. I like Rambling Diatribe against masters who are hunting a suit (So often Resser, Arcanist or  Neverborn), but its a nice card cycling for you as a back up. 

I like hovering Airship, but if I have other Sky pirates then they are more likely to get it than Zipp. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wizuriel said:

While I also prefer hovering airship on an iron skeeter it does work really well on Zipp. If Earl gives :mask if Zipp shots he and Earl can move within up we go range to disrupt the enemy and keep mobile.

Makes Zipp an insane harasser

If Zipp uses the trigger are you sure that Earl can move with him as Zipp isn' actually declaring a walk action?

2 minutes ago, Reservoir Dog said:

If Zipp uses the trigger are you sure that Earl can move with him as Zipp isn' actually declaring a walk action?

10 hours ago, Adran said:

Any time you take a walk action you have to declare the action (Its the first step of taking the action), and also if you are leaving a models engagement. So it doesn't matter how Zipp is taking the walk action, Earl can  be placed in base contact. 

Bonus, if Zipp trys to take a walk action and fails to disengage, Earl can't place in base contact because Zipp hasn't completed the Walk action. 

I think I disagree with Adran there. Resolving a trigger (ie TAKING a walk action) is not the same as declaring a walk action.  The trigger doesn' say on a mask you can delare a walk action it says take a walk action which are two different things imho. I play zipp at tournaments and never have earl follow him on a triggered walk only on a declared walk.

5 hours ago, Reservoir Dog said:

I think I disagree with Adran there. Resolving a trigger (ie TAKING a walk action) is not the same as declaring a walk action.  The trigger doesn' say on a mask you can delare a walk action it says take a walk action which are two different things imho. I play zipp at tournaments and never have earl follow him on a triggered walk only on a declared walk.

It'a very easy to read a difference between declaring and taking an action, but in the action breakdown, "declare action" is the first step of taking an action.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Reservoir Dog said:

Declaring which action you are taking is a step of resolving an action. You aren't allowed to take actions without saying which action you are doing out loud.

People will get to declare disengaging strikes against that walk for example as well as the earl synergy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Reservoir Dog said:

I took earl with the dread pirate as hes still a good 3ss model. Plus he can also hitch a ride on skeeters (giving them the tomes to hand out fast to whoever else they'e ferrying) or the first mate.

Thanks!

But i imagine that earl have difficulty to stay near zipp when you took on him "dread pirate" upgrade, right?