Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

So, event now over and I've managed to get a little sleep, so it's time to feed back on the day.

it was a 39 player 3-round event.

the games were:

guard the stash, flank deployment vs. Hoffman

extraction, standard deployment vs. Lynch (NB)

interference, corner deployment vs. Nellie

I took a nearly fixed list once more - one that is becoming a little too familiar at the moment for me:

zipp (diatribe, hovering, gift of gab)

earl

first mate (cap can't see, treasure map)

francois (do over, dc)

burt (dc)

2 iron skeeters (spotlight, PHE)

stuffed piglet

the changes I made to this list were:

game 1: tried no quarter instead of gift of gab for the first time.  This had no real effect as Zipp was never in a position to apply its aura and never gained a condition.

game 3: dropped 2 soulstones for an extra stuffed piglet.

the schemes I chose were:

game 1:

frame for murder (iron skeeter) - 0 points despite feeding it to a peacekeeper.

claim jump - 2 points - due to game only going to end of turn 3.

I got 2 strategy points too, finishing 4-2.

game 2:

hunting party - 3 points, killed mysterious effigy and a stitched together in turn 2, then the last minion, a terror tot, in turn 3 to score points due to wipeout of minions.

leave your mark - 3 points, first mate doing his thing on a flank

I also scored all the extraction points for a 10-1 win, my opponent scoring an extraction point in turn 2.

game 3:

claim jump - 3 points, burt (who had got into position via a skeeter) and Earl did this in a corner while Zipp kept things off their backs.

show of force - 2 points.  Lost one when first mate died to a bossy Nellie making a peacekeeper repeatedly punch him and her RJ of a propaganda damage.  I couldn't move in anything else as I needed to hold quarters for the strategy.

i got all the strategy points and ended 9-4, my opponent getting 2 for leave your mark, 1 strategy and 1 claim jump. 

Thise results left all of the podium on 3 wins, but I nicked it on score and diff by a couple of points to take the win and best gremlin.  2nd place was also gremlins (Somer).  In fact, all the top 3 tables for the last round featured a gremlin player (the other being Zoraida).

As regards Zipp and crew, nothing revelationary to report other than using up we go on models with black blood is mean - placing them for splash effects.  

• Like 4

thinking back on my last game, taking the taxidermist instead of frank would have been the right play.  It could have gone in fast and reckless and chopped up something easier with its pos flips on damage, gotten those corpse markers down and begun to flood that quarter with extra stuffed piglets.

ah well, next time maybe.

• Like 2

Could had been a good idea :) I've started to play around with iron skeeters again, after being kinda deluded by how fragile they were and I have to say I was wrong. I was just using them badly, now I have easier time finding a place for them in the crew. Only thing I'm not getting much use off is Airship spotlight :huh:

• Like 1

I use the spotlight rarely, but its to get the 2" push or the burning effects if I have the suit in hand or earl nearby granting it - this has been able to either free my own models or block theirs for interference or to free up claim jump markers by moving models away so they could score.

I take it because its free

• Like 1

TBH, I'm slightly suprised and pleased that I'm getting to use so much of the actual Zipp box - It's not often that you use nearly every model in one. 

The Iron Skeeters have been in and out and back in lists for me, but they certainly have their uses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starrius said:

wonder how the paralyse Pandora would do vs zipp. if she can get that first hit in?

Zipp removes all conditions on him when he activates at the cost of a soulstone or two cards depending on the upgrade he's carrying.  Also, on the attack that put paralyse on Zipp, he's get his trigger and place 6" away getting out of LoS probably. 

If Zipp gets in then Up We Go is nasty for Pandora as she can't get away from it.

Hey so played in a tournament over last weekend placing 3rd of 13th. Ran Zipp for 2 of the 3 games. Just going off memory

Game 1: 

Start: Headhunters, close deployment

Schemes:

-Claim Jump

-Frame Murder (Trixie)

-Leave Your Mark (Opponent picked)

-Mark for Death (Picked)

-Recover Evidence (Opponent picked)

Zipp

-Gift of Gab

-Earl Burns

-Fingers + Stilts

-Trixie

-Iron Skeeter + Hovering Airship

-2x stuffed pigs

-slop hauler

-Gracie + Dirty Cheater

Seamus

Copy Cat Killer

2x rotten 

Sybelle

2x necropunk

forgotten marshall

(don't remember the rest).

So Turn 1 Trixie got lured into the middle of the board and got taken out by Sybelle getting me 3 points. The 2 necropunks tried to go down 1 flank for Leave Your Mark and I used my iron skeeter and Slop Hauler to stop both of them. This forced the forgotten marshall to try and go down that flank to salvage some points for search the ruin (he didn't have much luck doing that). In the center of the board Gracie and Fingers just mucked up my opponents plan. Zipp spent the game using masks from Earl to go between the center and the left flank to keep my opponent locked down. 

Game ended: 10 - 2 for me.

2nd game

Stake a Claim with std deployment

-Accusation (picked)

-Frame for Murder (Warden and Slop Hauler)

-Hunting Party 

-Inspection (opponent picked)

This time I took

Zipp +1SS

-Gift of Gab

-Earl Burns

-Fingers + Stilts

-Trixie + hide in the mud

-Iron Skeeter + Hovering Airship

-slop hauler

-Gracie + Dirty Cheater

-Taxidermist

Lucius

Scribe

Ryle

Francisco

Warden

Hunter

2x orderly

lawyer

Opponent deployed with the orderlies on both flanks and the rest in the middle. I put the Gremlin Taxadermist to go against 1 orderly and trixie, slop hauler and iron skeeter the 2nd. First turn Lucius spent some time trying to reposition the warden and hunter to back up the 1 flank, but Trixie just lured them both back into their deployment (she kind of kept both models locked up most of the game). The taxidermist did struggle to kill the orderly, but he did it in the end and managed to summon 2 stuffed pigs. The warden and hunter eventually got free from Trixie and managed to kill my slop hauler getting me some frame for murder points. Zipp 1st turn managed to grab Ryle and throw him beside Burt and after winning initative first turn quickly took him out. This game saw the most amount of claim markers I have even seen dropped in a game. At 1 point we both had 3 claim markers in play denying each other points (Fingers took an unlucky RJ to the face from Francisco and I squeeled him away letting Lucius run into my deployment to start getting claims).

Game ended 6 - 0 for me.

Game 3 I took Wong against the Dreamer losing 9 - 6 :(

• Like 5

Didn't want to start off a whole new topic, but since Swine curse are coming out soon (at least I hope so), I had this question going through my mind: are they good not in a Wong crew?

To better explain, I think that with Wong are absolutely bonkers, even "broken" (at l east on paper, since I never tried them), but with another crews, I don't know if they're that worth. Sure, they still have solid stats but are they worth the 7ss? Guess that the 5 and 7 ss spot in gremlins is highly contended, and I'm not sure if they outclass something like a taxidermist without glowy. Maybe against Arcanists and resurrectionists are still solid even without the oohglowy buff, but in other cases, I don't know. Anyone has any expirience with them to share? Would you pick 1/2 with a master like Zipp (aside from the fact that they are awesome models)?

The ability to switch between pig and gremlin, and keep healing, means they can take part in some interesting tricks and can tank pretty well - something a lot of our other choices don't do.  They also hit well enough so that you don't feel disadvantaged.

I will be trying them out when they arrive, I can see them in headhunter and collect the bounty games when I want killy minions with push effects as opposed to enforcers.

• Like 1