Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

24 minutes ago, EpicWaffle said:

The 1 mate is great for both stake a claim and squatters! Being able to push people away and having a leap rocks in these situations ;) I m planning to use a lot fingers too

Same starts I had last Sunday - they are the gg17 rotation ones.  See my lists posted earlier this week for what I took

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EpicWaffle said:

The 1 mate is great for both stake a claim and squatters! Being able to push people away and having a leap rocks in these situations ;) I m planning to use a lot fingers too

Oh yeah absolutely, I just don't associate 1st Mate with Zipp so much as I do associate him with being almost an autotake because of how he's so good at Claim Jump :P

Fingers also rocks at headhunter.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, Joel said:

what particular issues are you having with Lilith?

With Lilith (and Shenlong) it's a general awareness I seek as I've not faced either with Zipp yet and only seen Lilith couple times where I was inconvenienced greatly with Tangle Shadows and also pinned down with Hans/Doppelganger combo. And the Zipp crew doesn't really have a likeforlike beater answer for Nekima? Black Blood and self-flagellation equals pork chops. But I have some games coming up against both those masters and I know nothing of the monk ways. Also got hammered by Pandora again recently, particularly by McTavish and Changeling combo, the Changeling copied McT's gun and did a great job of emptying my hand. Very unbalanced cards but nonetheless 5 dead (incl Taxi, First Mate, Ronin and Earl) and 2 paralyzed (Gracie + Zipp) end of Turn 2 was particularly destructive. Blaming the cards of course but I also over-extended early on Guard the Stash, trying to get into his Waldgeists rooted to the markers from deployment.

I'd like to take more Stuffed pigs next time but concerned McT will simply pick them off before getting them engaged, perhaps causing more harm than good. Saps some AP at the very least I guess. Against Para Pandy next time I can try diatribe to lose the crows but it's a gamble. I was a little unstuck on activation so I'm definitely wanting to go with stuffeds.

With Lilith as well I seem to face an uphill battle with cards, extra cards from her and Primordial Magic - and the Sky Pirates empty their own hand quick. I focus quite a bit on cards draw and that's where most of my stones go. (also next time will try to get First Mate closer to McT for cards when he's gator snacking but that's heading into the gator lover's den). Don't know if I should be throwing Zipp in close to her head-to-head or whether chucking her 5" is just going to make her mad and foresty. Anna Lovelace is a model I quite like and may help with the Tangles but haven't heard much about her on the forum and also guess that would mean dropping First Mate.

You don't need to try and match nekima, just neuter her.  Zipp can do this in a single shot of his zapper.  A Wk4 nekima who cant charge of use zero actions is a lot easier to handle. 

Doppleganger without her zero is pretty much useless too. 

Take stuffed but hold the back just to mess with activation control. 

• Like 3

So, yesterday I started work on Roscoe's Skeeter.  For those unfamiliar, when Zipp captures the airship and demands Earl makes his one-man flying machines look like skeeters, Roscoe asks for his to look like a pig.

ive basically built a mechanised porkchop and added the wings and rider from an iron skeeter and popped it on a flying base.  I've got some final bits to add, but roscoe will have his ride soon.  Hoping to undercoat today if the weather holds 

• Like 7

Nekima isn't really a huge threat that can't be handled if you get to her first.  She's dangerous in the same way Killjoy is, healing damage on her activation.  But if you get to her before she can do that, she's actually fairly easy to kill.  Zipp can easily get to her after she's activated for a few good hits.  Hell, if you shoot her and drop her walk and take away her charge, you can attack before she activates, and at the end of two melee attacks, you're 13" away.  Potentially with terrain in between him and her.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, EpicWaffle said:

Just arrived home after the tournament and gained a 2" place with 3 win under the belt :) the guy who arrived 1 stomped a new player and was hard to reach with 10/0 1" match :mellow:either later on or tomorrow I'll post the battle report :)

Gratz!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joel said:

You won your 3 games - that's a good day at the office regardless of final positioning.  All podiums are equal in my mind - tin cups are the thing! ?

I look forward to reading your reports

Thanks ;) and yeah indeed, most important i had a lot of fun! i'm writing it dowm right now!

• Like 1

! LONG POST ALERT !

So, here we go:

to start off, the organizer decided not to use the gg2017 rotation strategies, choosing instead to flip them (popping out head hunter, extraction and guard the stash). Also, there were like 9 Arcanist and 5 Neverborn players between the 22 people there, with just me representing  the green boys.

Now, off to the 1 match. The 1' round schemes where Quick Murder, Frame for Murder, Inspection and Leave your mark (i'll avoid to write down everytime Claim), with Head hunter as strategy. My opponent is a close friend of mine and an excelent Neverborn player so, since we play a lot togheter, i had to use something he wasn't gonna expect as a list; i went with:

Zipp (rambling diatribe, gift of gab, hovering airship) 7ss cache ( i kinda spammed joel set up to see  how it goes for me in a tournament)

Earl

Burt (dirty cheater)

Francois (D.C. + Stilts)

Fingers (on yer tip toes)

Trixibelle

3x Stuffed

I picked this list with the main concern of my friend picking lilith (which was indeed a right premonition), wanting high Wp stats and  damage threat, and with both quick murder and frame i wanted to make him think twice before just demolishing my crew 1 at the time. I picked for schemes Quick murder on his Mr. graves (zipp did some damages and then he was finished off by 3 stuffed turn 3) and inspection (which i must say, i took it mainly to try it out but was a bad idea, since he just melted 3 of my pieces between turn 3\4 with lilith), while he picked Frame for murder on a dopple (which i was aware he took it on it because he was using it too much aggresivly toward zipp than usual) and Inspection. The game ended up 7\6 for me, but it was really close and fought 'till the last activation and highlits were a red joker for Up we go damages on a Waldgeist, denying a point of inspection and Francois miserably missing 9 attacks :D really tough game, but for sure the most satisfying of the day. Probably could had dropped Trixie (which i'm really starting to have hard times picking), but wanted to force him to place his forest to block her line of sight with lilith, in order to allow the rest fo the crew to move freely (still not worth imo tho).

Game 2: since i didn't had that many points, I was put against a fairly new player (a really nice person too), and since I didn't just wanted to stomp him, i took the match with a chill vibe and tried to give him some advice while playing. Startegy was Extraction and the schemes were Eliminate the leadership, Dig their graves, Recover evidence and Last stand. He picked Ramos (choosing recover evidence anddig their graves) and I picked Somer with Recover evidence (which is fairy easy, i must say, once you bring fingers with you and you wait for the right time to declare it) and Claim jump, since we were in a corner deployment. For master i used Somer, since i wanted to vary a little, with this list:

Somer (dirty cheater, Family tree, Do over) 5 ss cache

2x Skeeters

Emissary of Luck (conflux of missfortune)

Fingers

3x Bayou

Lighting Bug

Iron Skeeter ( poorly handled explosives) (he didn't quite liked the exploding bayou trick :D)

Nothing particular happened aside from the emissary taking turn 2 a charge from Langston and one from the Mechanical rider (this thing is really annoying), saving himself thanks to some good card flips at 2 wounds, allowing Somer to shoot into engagement with rams  for some massive destruction, killing both the Emissary (*sad violin musinc in the background*) and Langston, leaving the rider at 4 wounds in between of it. Game ended 6\3 for me, but would had turn out 10\3 if we reached turn 5 (time ended on 3' turn); didn't really mattered to me since i had a nice game and was able to meet and help a new player with which i might play in the future :D 

Turn 3 tho, i didn't want to end up out of the podium so, since i knew i was against an expirienced player, i went berzerk-mode and aimed to maximise the points. Strategy was Stake a claim ( on a flank deployment), while for schemes we had Accusation, Dig their graves (titania players were happy having it again), Show of force and Set up. I was once again against an Arcanist, and while i was thinking of spamming some elite models with Zipp for Show of force, i went safer (knewing this time i could reach turn 5) with Set up and Claim jump (when the objective of the strategy is getting close to the center, it gets extremly easy on a corner/flank deployment, having 50'' of space for 2 markers), with my opponets taking the same schemes, using Kaeris as Master (nice showdown against the 2 jetpack masters :D ).

My list was:

Zipp (diatribe, Gift of Gab, Hovering airship) 7ss

Earl

Gracie (Saddle)

Taxidermist (D.C.)

Merris

2x Lighting Bug

3x Stuffed Piglets

Main focus of Merris was to ensure me the 3 point for set up (selected the captain for it, and while I could had done it with Zipp repositioning him into some schemes pre-setted, i didn't want to risk it so i went the safest way ), while the lighting bugs were supposed to do Claim Jump on their spare time (also they're awesome against Arcanist/outcasts, since ignoring armor is hella cool). Match finished 10\2 for me, with zipp demolishing his crew positioning (and an unlucky Firestarter which was at 2 Hp after a focussed piano on turn 1), not allowing him to score a single points of strategy, Merris soaking up 2 attacks form the Captain and other 2 from Kaeris after finishing setting up the schemes for a turn 2 Set up (costing 3\4 of my opponet hand, which got me questioning the reaon behind it), allowing a brave Lighting bug to go rekless and single handly killing a 9hp rail golem (1 red and 2 low on damages ignoring armour ;) ). I kinda went too hard, but i wanted to reach the 2' place so i did my best :) i really liked the lighting bug again in this situation, since they offer so much possibilitiesfor scheme running and dealing damages, so i will have truble letting them behind.

Really had some good time, met osme new people and I'm happy with the result :) Hope this comes handy to someone ;) 

• Like 4

Are you getting much use out of Hovering Airship on Zipp?

I find his AP is generally being used to a] walk and Up We Go! or b] Neutralise things with his gun. His AP is soooo valuable.

Also, Diatribe is amazing. I've used it to repeatedly strip Crows from summoners or cycle my junk hand. All the time. 

I tend to play Zipp quite central, disrupting the middle of the board. I think I'm going to start using Do Over. Red Joker is like the only thing he's scared of. Diatribe, Gab, Do Over. Probably like 6 stones, because Zipp and Franc are pretty hungry.

How are you finding the Lucky Emissary with Somer? I'm thinking about getting it.

5 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Are you getting much use out of Hovering Airship on Zipp?

I find his AP is generally being used to a] walk and Up We Go! or b] Neutralise things with his gun. His AP is soooo valuable.

Also, Diatribe is amazing. I've used it to repeatedly strip Crows from summoners or cycle my junk hand. All the time. 

I tend to play Zipp quite central, disrupting the middle of the board. I think I'm going to start using Do Over. Red Joker is like the only thing he's scared of. Diatribe, Gab, Do Over. Probably like 6 stones, because Zipp and Franc are pretty hungry.

How are you finding the Lucky Emissary with Somer? I'm thinking about getting it.

I'll go point by point:

1) yes I do but I was skeptical too in the beginning after seeing @Joel suggesting it so I understand your doubt. The main use I make out of it it the threat range it gives to zipp (other sky pirates aside from the 1 mate are too slow to use it properly), especially on earlie turns, and in general to have another tool in the arsenal. I use zipp too in the thick of the action, but if I don't need to fear having him dying (that case I take dirty cheater) it's really good, requires just a couple of games to get used to it

2) Do over is kinda wasted on him, since he's gonna use it just for the cards (still awesome but I don't think you want to randomize that much with zipp), so I would put it on something less important with a free slot (merris, fingers, etc).

3) I really like him becaus, as I said in another post, it's a piece that stand on his own, which gives some nice buffs to those who stands around him, has some really cool attacks and most of all attract a lot of attention (while being really tanks especially turn 3/4). I think you don't always need to have synergy from everything all the times, and solid solo pieces can allow you to focus more on other stuff (Somer and his buffs for example) and less on how to concatenate everything. 

I'm thinking about playing with Poorly Handled Explosives on something, as a way to drop scheme markers around. You can't do the damage one on Stuffed Piglets, but you can still pop a Scheme marker out of one. And you don't care if it gets Slow. That way you can score things like Dig Their Graves.

Ehhh, re-reading Airship.. it's Sh5 and ignores LOS but not cover. RNG 12 is great. It seems bad on Zipp, but maybe I guess?

1 hour ago, Obeisance said:

I'm thinking about playing with Poorly Handled Explosives on something, as a way to drop scheme markers around. You can't do the damage one on Stuffed Piglets, but you can still pop a Scheme marker out of one. And you don't care if it gets Slow. That way you can score things like Dig Their Graves.

Ehhh, re-reading Airship.. it's Sh5 and ignores LOS but not cover. RNG 12 is great. It seems bad on Zipp, but maybe I guess?

that puts a 20 inch threat range if you focus :) you're not going for a lilith with that, but 3 to 5 damages on a minion ain't a joke. For the upgrade i sudjest you to take a look at ''On Yer Ti Toes'' if you were looking for that kind of effect.

3 minutes ago, Von Woozle said:

Seems to me they are the same as the 1st mate

not quite - he can stop the interact with enemy schemes like mark for death/accusation/etc.  rather than just the scheme marker ones.

hovering airship on zipp - what's better:

1)  walking 8 inch for 1 AP?

or

2)  dropping a piano on someone and walking 8 inch for 1 AP?

once he's where you want him to be he can switch into zapper/dropper modes, or get back to this form too.  I like having the extra flexibility on him. 

If you need his tucked away safely behind terrain/smoke, then he can still have an effect on the game with this upgrade.

• Like 2

So Fingers is a better version of the 1st mate :P  I've been using the 1stmate to keep in theme and I love the model way more.

Shoot5 though :( and you need a mask as well so it's not as simple as you make it seem.  I'm going to give it a pop because of the range and no LOS

I found Diatribe not to be worth it without Sparks can use the scrap.  The last thing I want to do is give the enemy a chance to dump low cards for higher cards and since I can't see the other players hand, I'm unlikely to chance it. 

Anyone Played vs Reva yet? 

7 minutes ago, Von Woozle said:

So Fingers is a better version of the 1st mate :P  I've been using the 1stmate to keep in theme and I love the model way more.

Shoot5 though :( and you need a mask as well so it's not as simple as you make it seem.  I'm going to give it a pop because of the range and no LOS

I found Diatribe not to be worth it without Sparks can use the scrap.  The last thing I want to do is give the enemy a chance to dump low cards for higher cards and since I can't see the other players hand, I'm unlikely to chance it. 

Anyone Played vs Reva yet? 

Sh5 is fine - don't underestimate it, and as for the mask you have earl!  in a pinch you have a soulstone and besides, you might actually draw one or two :)

diatribe - I use it on myself far more than I use it on the enemy, filters the rubbish out of my hand