Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

I just wanted to say thank you very much Joel for the great info about Zipp. I mostly play Arcanists but I'm slowing moving into gremlins Ulix was my first crew and after reading these posts Zipp will be my second crew, I was on the fence with him since he seemed like he would annoy the opponent and then...? but I see that his crew can do so much so once again thank you very much.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joel said:

You are very welcome ? Any questions you have, please ask.  I'll be taking Zipp out to his 5th event on Saturday

Ooo I'd love to read a battle report of the tournament. If you do a battle report it does not have to be a huge one it can just be like what they do on Arcane Reservoir, I guess that's a little more of a highlight reel :P

Hello Joel and others here in this topic. First, same as Frostwolf, I would like to thank you for lot of info about Zipp crew. I am still quite newbie in the world of Malifaux, just took part on two tournaments and played few other games here in my country. This topic gave me some great ideas how to play this crew. :-)

I have some questions about the crew. I got the new Lucky Emissary model. And I am curious, if someone tried to play this model with Zipp? Does anyone found out, if the Lucky Emissary will have any special ability for Zipp? I mean same as he has upgrade specially for Som'ers Teeth or Brewmaster etc.

I don't like the Emissary in a lot of crews for us.  I have only really enjoyed it with Mah Tucket, but I haven't given him equal chance with all my masters yet.

That being said, I think he'd fit pretty well with Zipp.  He's pretty heavily mobile (which is why I bring it with Mah), which fits with Zipp extremely well.  More importantly though, he can move around enemy models very well.  Just with him and Zipp doing it, that's a lot of moving around enemies and taking them out of position while also wailing on them very well.  I personally think that's the best thing Zipp does, is displace enemies so extremely easily, so adding in another big beater with tricks that can also move models around?  Great plan.

Or just use its ranged attack to slow a model after Zipp moves it out of place, which is just as good as paralyzing it since it just has to walk back to where it was originally.  I'd consider a crew built around that a lot in the future.  Bring a lot of models that just move enemies around and mess with their positioning while you have one or two models scoring your points where the enemy can't.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Joel said:

emissary makes things slow and feeds them to the silurid who can paralyse them for swallow whole...

Yeah, but that's a huge investment for a somewhat non-reliable outcome. It's kinda the first thing that comes to mind but getting it to work efficiently on the tabletop seems to be extremely difficult. Usually you could simply kill the target using Burt or some other damage dealer with the flips you need to make it work (and with a lot less investment in models and positioning).

2 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Yeah, but that's a huge investment for a somewhat non-reliable outcome. It's kinda the first thing that comes to mind but getting it to work efficiently on the tabletop seems to be extremely difficult. Usually you could simply kill the target using Burt or some other damage dealer with the flips you need to make it work (and with a lot less investment in models and positioning).

Oh totally agree - but its fun to try and pull off :)  I've had a fast first mate (thanks to becoming a robot thanks to sparks) do it himself for laughs.  Personally I'm not rushing out to buy the lucky emmisary for zipp as it doesn't like like it does enough that the models I already have can't cover.

• Like 1

I'd find it more reliable to try and have Mancha Roja get a finishing move than the Silurid swallowing something.  There's only 1 way to stop Mancha if he connects with the attack.  Have Old Cranky nearby so you can burn the stone for the suit, and then when the model dies Cranky just gets it right back anyways.

So, tournament over and Zipp and I took first place. 

Game 1: standard collect bounty vs dreamer.

I got a 6-4 win here by using Zipp to keep opposing enforcers/henchmen away from the centre of the board and my models as we had both taken show of force and my opponent had hunting party too.  I managed to hold him back for most of the game, and Zipp got undercover entourage in his customary manner.

Game 2: flank interference vs Ironsides.

show of force in the pool again, so I decided to worry less about the strategy than usual. My opponent over-committed to killing burt and Gracie having taken mark for death and got himself tied up, scoring nothing for Mark and losing Cassandra and at least 2 strategy VPs from this choice.  The first mate got 5vps single handed with show of force and take prisoner while shutting off detonate charges at the same time and croaking models into the centre of the board.  

Zipp had a poor game missing 5 "up we go" attempts at johnan in a row! But did manage to draw some attention.  Game ended 7-1 to me.

game 3: corner stake a claim vs seamus

leave your mark and exhaust forces in the pool seemed a natural fit. Rooster riders scored points or killed enemy models here while Zipp and first mate burnt through stones in the middle of the board drawing attention. I made mistake here (forgot constant yammering and the gift of gab soulstone thing) but my opponent forgot to unbury the  forgotten Marshall 2 turns running. 

Game ended 10-3 to me. 

• Like 1

Game 1 there I would have just annihilated Dreamer with Zipp.  2 attacks would have gotten it and he can't protect himself on Zipp's Ml attack.  That's probably Dreamer's worst match up right now, to be honest.

Well done on the wins.  I'm hoping a tournament will pop up around here soon so I can run gremlins in it again.  Had 1 recently but I had to work and could only play 1 round.  I'm happy Zipp is turning out better than some haters originally thought.

26 minutes ago, EnternalVoid said:

I imagine you might agree that sounds like it was a win in itself for you.  If you cannot kill Dreamer having him restrict his own options to prevent you is not a bad trade off.

Yep, you take what you can get against a skilled dreamer player. He went on to take 3rd at the event

• 2 weeks later...

So,  I'm finally coming to a point with Zipp that I am ready to ditch the safety blanket  - I'm going to drop Earl from the auto-include position in my lists.

Dropping a 3ss significant minion with 5wds??  I must be nuts, right? right??

I'm not sure I am though - Earl and Zipp have a good deal of counter synergy - both often want the other one to have activated first, and either which way you do it, you lose out somewhere.

I'll be trying some lists without Earl for a while to see the overall effect of taking him out, and then objectively examine where he best belongs.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Four_N_Six said:

I wouldn't call him a necessity for me, I just have a hard time losing the built in mask and :+fate to attacks for Zipp.  I'm also considering a full construct crew and trying it out once I have Sparks, so at that point Earl is going to be a little more necessary.

losing the suit is an issue - but often I find myself wanting it so that the walks are certain - and I want that so that Earl can drop a scheme marker - but then I can't because I already activated earl to put the masks on in the first place!

I've never got the pos flips off yet - never seem to have the handy scrap marker nearby.  Zipp can drop one, but then he won't benefit from the effect as he has already activated!!

It will be interesting to see if the crew flows more smoothly without me mentally tripping over the activation order of these two models as much as I do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joel said:

losing the suit is an issue - but often I find myself wanting it so that the walks are certain - and I want that so that Earl can drop a scheme marker - but then I can't because I already activated earl to put the masks on in the first place!

I've never got the pos flips off yet - never seem to have the handy scrap marker nearby.  Zipp can drop one, but then he won't benefit from the effect as he has already activated!!

It will be interesting to see if the crew flows more smoothly without me mentally tripping over the activation order of these two models as much as I do.

Yeah, I definitely see the issue.  I think this is one of those ideas where Earl benefits if you have the full construct crew like I'd mentioned.  Have the porkchop drop that marker you need the turn before, Earl gets that effect off, and then most of your crew is stomping ass.  For sure requires a set up.

Are you trying out Old Cranky as a replacement?  Or just losing the totem?