Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

On 12/10/2016 at 8:02 PM, Joel said:

Yeah, but at 2 damage a go most likely - she can hit him back much harder.  Adding the blasts/pulses into it could drop her in an activation

Tried it with a friend of mine and it didn't t go well for him

Had a couple of high card in hand so I attacked Pandora with up we go and cheated a 13 forcing him to cheat back, managed to hit medium, he stoned and ditched another card because of gift of gab; now since I didn't t had to move to attack her (I shooted at him for the reposition) I charged pandora firstly with the zapper (he had nomore big cards due to some duels and a lucky rambling diatribe on a close by minion), followed up by another up we go

In the end he emptied his cache, lost half hp on his master and was 10" away from the battle with -2 walk and no 0/charge possibilities while zipp was in cover and protected from casting (vs neverborn I always have liquid bravery). Needless to say she died next turn ;) 

kinda of a lucky combination but I think there are more pros than cons in any case in a Zipp vs Pandora duel.

I wrote a long entry giving a breakdown of what my models did in a recent game. It didn't save and I can't make myself rewrite it all, so summary.

mech porkchop ok, verging on very good

sparks great

an armour 4 silurid is a thing

a fast skeeter makes the upgrades much better

dont try to guard a stash from the sky pirates!! Or take prisoner either - they are slippery ?

• Like 2

What exactly did you use the porkchop for?

Just to generate Scrap, or did you get much use out of it`s plus to charge aura?

Isn`t it generally too slow to keep up with Zipp?

And btw., very interesting to read your thoughts on the little pirate here, had my first game with himyesterday and I´m still amazed at what he can do ^^

To be fair, everything is too slow to keep up with Zipp, and that's the point of how I play him. Little bastard is all over the place, going back and forth disrupting my opponent, while his crew does whatever needs to be done to score points. So far I haven't run into any models that are staples for his crew other than Earl. I prefer a skeeter or two and the first mate, but the crew is very flexible depending on what I need. 

• Like 1

Porkchop dropped scrap turn 1, allowing sparks to give zipp armour.  He then moved up to a stash marker but with a charge lane past it on the inside.

he was then pushed forward by The Tooth and was hit with RJ damage taking him to 1wd.

on turn 2 he attacked the Tooth taking it down to 2 wounds remaining.  He was dragged backwards by zipp's (0) action, he was healed by earl back to full wounds.

on turn 3 he went after the claw (zipp has killed the Tooth, Gorar and a sorrow this turn) and pushed it away from the stash marker with his trigger, taking it down to half wounds in the process.

in turn 4 he made sure he was close enough to the stash marker to score it so zipp could depart to break my opponents take prisoner with his (0) and an up we go attack. He tried to kill the claw but came up 1dmg short.

no turn 5 played as opponent conceded for a 10-4 win.

so, nothing stellar, but a solid performance for a first outing.  I could have used him better.

but as for keeping up with zipp - not a problem unless zipp is jumping terrain.  Wk6, with potential fast from sparks and a push from earl's (0) action means he can pace zipp if needed. Bayou two card on him is great as the crew is card hungry and he can help with that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Four_N_Six said:

To be fair, everything is too slow to keep up with Zipp, and that's the point of how I play him. Little bastard is all over the place, going back and forth disrupting my opponent, while his crew does whatever needs to be done to score points. So far I haven't run into any models that are staples for his crew other than Earl. I prefer a skeeter or two and the first mate, but the crew is very flexible depending on what I need. 

I have a core of zipp, earl, first mate and 1 iron skeeter.  With upgrades it's 22 stones. The rest of the crew I leave flexible as well, although my ship's cook/doctor/armourer - the gremlin taxidermist - is close to becoming a staple. He has really impressed me with reliable summoning, movement tricks and damage dealing - his built in trigger is no joke!

1 hour ago, Joel said:

I have a core of zipp, earl, first mate and 1 iron skeeter.  With upgrades it's 22 stones. The rest of the crew I leave flexible as well, although my ship's cook/doctor/armourer - the gremlin taxidermist - is close to becoming a staple. He has really impressed me with reliable summoning, movement tricks and damage dealing - his built in trigger is no joke!

I'm considering a taxidermist in my Brewmaster kill crew, as well. I think they're more worth the stones than people originally thought. 

6 hours ago, Four_N_Six said:

I'm considering a taxidermist in my Brewmaster kill crew, as well. I think they're more worth the stones than people originally thought. 

Yeah, I don't know what people had against him - his stats aren't special, but with armour +1 he can stick around, even more so if you add dirty cheater to him.  Iron skeeter can move him up and make him fast, and with that on top of reckless and a (0) action he can do a lot too.  

His Ml6 is really handy with that built in trigger - with a good chance of a straight damage flip or better he can get some killing done too.

all around solid for the cost, and a useful enforcer before you even consider that he can summon too

• Like 1

It does seem to me that, in more than any other faction, gremlin players stray the least from "internet approved" model choices. 

Bit annoying really.

taxidermist fills a different role to the others.

hobby wise - I now have most of the crew painted up. Just zipp, merris, butt, Earl and 2 skeeters to go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joel said:

It does seem to me that, in more than any other faction, gremlin players stray the least from "internet approved" model choices.

Bit annoying really.

taxidermist fills a different role to the others.

hobby wise - I now have most of the crew painted up. Just zipp, merris, butt, Earl and 2 skeeters to go

That's why I was trying to build a Brewmaster kill list, and why I don't tend to run certain masters with "their crew."  Zipp I can run with whatever I want, preferably kill intensive.  Mah Tucket is the opposite, where her and a couple of heavy hitters run the murder and the rest of the crew is designed to handle whatever my points need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joel said:

He does, but the path less travelled can turn up some gems for those prepared to look

Of course it can and I use all sorts of things in my lists and have fun with them. I mean, I've used Moon Shinobis (yes, plural) in a Mah list in a tournament for the hell of it. But the fact remains that the Gremlin 7SS bracket is utterly crazy and Taxidermists are generally the weakest of the bunch. Doesn't mean that they are weak, though. Nor unusable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joel said:

Weakest? Depends what you are looking for I suppose. 

Aye, if you want to make big Pigs fly, then Taxidermist is definately the strongest choice :) (and with the Cg values of the Pigs on big bases, that's certainly an ability that shouldn't be underestimated).

But I think that all the rest would be considered balanced at 8SS, Taxidermists not so much. I mean, if they had originally been 8SS, they would still be considered competitive choices (well, maybe not Sparks).

On ‎22‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 7:39 PM, Joel said:

I regard them all as competitive choices since I've used them all in events.

Maybe I wrote that badly. I meant that Burt and Francois and such would be considered competitive even if they were one SS more expensive than they actually are. I most certainly consider them extremely competitive at their current price point.

• Like 1

I've not bothered with roosters at this point - I will be fielding an Angry Birds theme list once I've painted everything up appropriately as a silly side project.

i have fielded 3 stuffed piglets once, but usually it's just 1 or 2 and a taxidermist to keep my activation count up.

Interesting, are no roosters a thematic choice or because you dont think they are good enough?

I've been playing a lot of Zipp lately. Use the First Mate a couple games, tossed him to the side recently. Lot of , Zipp. Earl. Skeeter, Burt, Frank, 2xRooster, 5x Stuffed and some upgrades. Its like thematically you want sparks and mech porkchop in there, but feel outclassed by the others. 

Love reading your stuff!

I personally don't like Roosters as a personal play style.  Part of it is just not liking them, part of it is my intense desire to go against the grain and not take crews that everybody else does.  It's one of the reasons I was determined to get good with Mah Tucket, and I for sure got good with Mah Tucket.

Zipp, First Mate, Earl, and maybe 1 or 2 skeeters if I have some room or if I want to deliver a brutal model up the board.  Try tossing Pere with the Iron Skeeters and deliver a flaming bottle up your opponent's tailpipe.  If you're particularly dickish, wait until turn 3 or so, have Zipp make his 3 Ml attacks against 3 targets to put them close to each other, and then have Pere brought in once they're grouped up and can't get away.

• Like 1

Roosters, for their cost, are stupid-good - there is no denying it, so I won't bother trying.  I'm not using them yet as I prefer to learn what a crew can do without a crutch when I first start with them.

I will try them at some point, but I'm in no rush as I'm still learning.  When I do, they will be like everything else - a sometimes pick.

The only models which are making every list for me at the moment are:

Zipp

Earl

First mate (90% of the time)

Iron skeeter (just the 1 - a second does join the list from time to time)

• Like 3