If you want to stop your opponent doing things I can recommend:

Zipp

Anna

Fingers

Sparks

Lust

in the same list

Oh I like it!

First Mate tops off the impenetrable, anti-death anti-scheme bubble.

Guard the Stash/Extraction

plus

Claim Jump, Last Stand, Undercover Entourage, Show of Force, Search the Ruins

and anti-FFM - anti most things in fact! Sit Earl behind the bubble if Hunting Party in there

1 hour ago, Je ne c'est LaCroix said:

Oh I like it!

First Mate tops off the impenetrable, anti-death anti-scheme bubble.

Guard the Stash/Extraction

plus

Claim Jump, Last Stand, Undercover Entourage, Show of Force, Search the Ruins

and anti-FFM - anti most things in fact! Sit Earl behind the bubble if Hunting Party in there

yep - needs the right scheme pool and terrain, but its a nice crew to have on the books for when those planets align :)

It has grown a tad hasn't it?!  

I didn't try the lightning bugs - but I probably should have.  Took a poor crew into a guard the stash and positioned them wrong costing myself 2 coins and handing 2vp to my opponent for an 8-7 loss.

i find I'm struggling to put a killy crew on the table.  The taxidermist did take out the arcane emissary by himself though...

18 hours ago, Joel said:

It has grown a tad hasn't it?!  

I didn't try the lightning bugs - but I probably should have.  Took a poor crew into a guard the stash and positioned them wrong costing myself 2 coins and handing 2vp to my opponent for an 8-7 loss.

i find I'm struggling to put a killy crew on the table.  The taxidermist did take out the arcane emissary by himself though...

Are you struggling building a killy crew or rather opting for a killy crew instead of what you usually bring? Just to be sure to get the meaning, because I would say that your Gracie, taxidermist and ronin crew is fairly killy imo, considering you have Zipp too, dropping pianos and enemies where he want. 

About the bug, I'll be waiting :D I have some games coming next week and a tournament on the 19th of February, so if I'll use them I'll let you know (just to give you some more points to make you try them! :D ). Also, I tried out Spark and he did really well (the skeeter+spark tag-team is really cool, although fairly fragile), so I'll definetly try him out more, and I bought a box of survivors (mainly to complete the gremlins roster), which I plan to play the next time I have an occasion (I played a couple of games with Mei feng and seeing how though the Rail workers are got me curious about their gremlin counterpart).

20 minutes ago, Joel said:

struggling to build one - when a very killy scheme pool appears, then my crews do seem to melt like butter in the sun.

Yeah, we're not o that good at taking a punch when it's too strong (I hate viktorias). I'd say tho that one thing that might be causing you issues is that you're skipping guys like Francois, Mancha, Tavish etc. , which deal a shit ton of damage generally before your enemy can react to it (I guess you don't have them, based on your battle reports). Also, Trixibelle help quite a lot when it comes to Elite crews, since the alpha strike is key when going full face with gremlins imo. The thing is that gremlins generally require a lot of cards, especially to survive, and a master like Zipp eat them like candies, so I'm not sure if an elite crew is a good idea with Zipp (My go to are generally Somer and Ophelia when it comes to straight up Killy crew, cause they are very card efficient and let me use my hand for the rest of the crew). I must add tho that I don't like straight up Killy crew, and it's really rare that I need to bring one on the table, cause I feel like my destiny is bounded to my deck rather that to my abilities. I generally prefer a mix of scheme running + hitters, but I usually select models that can do both (that's why i really like Lighting bugs).

I think that Zipp, being a pirate, is more suited to focused raid and hit&go strategies, rather than going Rambo-style, and works better with some versatility rather than with a crew of bulldozers.

• Like 2

I guess - I just often feel I can't get my damage in the place I want it to be often enough - I am considering using a pair of lightning bugs alongside a pair of ronin though - 24ss that ignores armour could be useful against the right crew.

zipp (2 upgrades), 6ss

earl

burt (dc)

gracie (saddle)

2 lightning bugs

2 ronin

I have to remember that 8 activations (and this is 9 really with gracie's reactivate) isn't too small really.  I've got to used to 11-12 with zipp.  I'm hoping this solves my killing issues if I want to go that way.

2 hours ago, Joel said:

I guess - I just often feel I can't get my damage in the place I want it to be often enough - I am considering using a pair of lightning bugs alongside a pair of ronin though - 24ss that ignores armour could be useful against the right crew.

zipp (2 upgrades), 6ss

earl

burt (dc)

gracie (saddle)

2 lightning bugs

2 ronin

I have to remember that 8 activations (and this is 9 really with gracie's reactivate) isn't too small really.  I've got to used to 11-12 with zipp.  I'm hoping this solves my killing issues if I want to go that way.

Could work but you're bringing 4 models that won't last much. Sure they're good against armor heavy crew like Ramos but ain't easy to call it for sure that you're gonna face it and the ronins eat 14 stones out of your crew (they're good, but their only resistance is HtK) which can be occupied by something else, even stronger in the beating department (even 2 taxidermist). 

What about switching the ronins? Maybe the mechanical porkchop and a taxidermist (with do over maybe)? They punch harder at least and buff your crew too (tho I would put the taxidermist behind in order to go in at the right moment). Another great solution for some serious punches are definetly gonna be the Cursed swine (which ignore armor too), so maybe you can proxy them , since they're coming out this month (and the cost as much as ronins). Cause I feel that both ronin and the Bugs are kinda too much, but might be me.

About the number, I totally feel you (count that I was used to Somer, which is even worse) , but playing some ten thunder and neverborn from time to time help me to keep in mind that you don't always need to out-activate your opponent all the times.

Ps: I recommend you to take a look at Mactavish, doesn't cost much money (16 I think) and for 10ss he's awesome! Take in mind too that he's a Swampfiend, so Earl can drag him around!

For killy Alpha Swamp Strike I'm interested to try  @Scalpelxis suggestion on Wild Boar, From the Shadows to tie up their biggest baddy. 

Additionally bring McTavish Grabs a Rope from Zipp, Earl is there to drag McT around also, Zipp Up We Gos anything that heads for McT and chucks them 13.5" away, generally limiting the options for retribution, McT shoots 14" no randomise at Sh7 (with the Wild Boar in attendance), Earl drops markers for a potential free McT AP, Zipp keeps throwin, McT keeps shootin....

McTavish + Wild Boar = 16 points and McT operates very nicely without a particular need for upgrades. Potential even for a second Wild Boar

20 minutes ago, Je ne c'est LaCroix said:

For killy Alpha Swamp Strike I'm interested to try  @Scalpelxis suggestion on Wild Boar, From the Shadows to tie up their biggest baddy. 

Additionally bring McTavish Grabs a Rope from Zipp, Earl is there to drag McT around also, Zipp Up We Gos anything that heads for McT and chucks them 13.5" away, generally limiting the options for retribution, McT shoots 14" no randomise at Sh7 (with the Wild Boar in attendance), Earl drops markers for a potential free McT AP, Zipp keeps throwin, McT keeps shootin....

McTavish + Wild Boar = 16 points and McT operates very nicely without a particular need for upgrades. Potential even for a second Wild Boar

I'm yet to test that idea cause it got me curios, and seemed really solid. I just find wildboars to be pretty awfoul tho, and that's holding me back.

46 minutes ago, Joel said:

I have mctavish - what's been holding me back is that I can't get a pic/story in my head of how Zipp and he would end up working  together

Zipp is the only gremlin who can guarantee he remains upwind of McTavish and out of reach of Lil' Boo at all times. The real question is why he'd be hired by anyone else.

• Like 2

McTavish + Lazarus + Earl + Sparks + Porkchop + Skeeter

Potential 3 AP for McT, Laz copies Robot McT's gun for a freebie, plus 3 carpet bombs of his own, 7 shots with 3 on :blast and :+fate on all of them from Earl, with heals, Skeeter Fasts Sparks, Sparks Fasts McT or Laz

Stuff gonna be dead yo

Zipp considered himself the only one of his brave crew mates to be blessed with the chat to get the fabled 'Scout of the Swamp' onboard. The ship hovered as he spun off with a cheeky backflip, but not before a wink to the Taxidermist, standing with one eye cast on the Captain, the other eye seemingly devoid of purpose but yet still managing to pull off an air of both wisdom, and bemusement. 'Fry me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast..' sputtered Zipp, a plume of foul smoke and a distant boisterous cackle was all that was left on deck. The Taxidermist was left wondering why the leader of the ship had requested a nipper for breakfast, but headed off to see if he could find something small and pink for the pan.

Zipp bounced, rocketed, hopped and twisted amongst the nest of gators that greeted his arrival. McTavish half looked up from the pelt he was working on the porch table, raising his blade more perceptibly than his eyes. Zipp changed trajectory, whilst unclipping a long roll of cloth from his pack. 'Thet's not a knoife' said Zipp, 'thet's a knoife!', flicking out the cloth with a flourish to reveal his recent and substantial prize, a gleaming Masamune. Now the calm and rugged hunter gave close to his full attention.  'What do you want, gnat', with more than a hint of menace in his whisper. 'I know where the treasure is' replied Zipp, '...and you look like a man who likes a good booty...' There was an unusual pause in Zipp's yammer while he waited nervously for a response. None came. 'And there's more where this came from, but just one little problem....' McTavish looked at the pelt and paused. That's enough scrapin' for one day he thought to himself, standing up and fixing his hat. 'Let me go get my alligator'.

And Sparks won Lazarus off some Rail Workers at poker.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Je ne c'est LaCroix said:

Potential 3 AP for McT, Laz copies Robot McT's gun for a freebie, plus 3 carpet bombs of his own, 7 shots with 3 on :blast and :+fate on all of them from Earl, with heals, Skeeter Fasts Sparks, Sparks Fasts McT or Laz

Stuff gonna be dead yo

Zipp considered himself the only one of his brave crew mates to be blessed with the chat to get the fabled 'Scout of the Swamp' onboard. The shop hovered as he spun off with a cheeky backflip, but not before a wink to the Taxidermist, standing with one eye cast on the Captain, the other eye seemingly devoid of purpose but yet still managing to pull off an air of both wisdom, and bemusement. 'Fry me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast..' sputtered Zipp, a plume of foul smoke and a distant boisterous cackle was all that was left on deck. The Taxidermist was left wondering why the leader of the ship had requested a nipper for breakfast, but headed off to see if he could find something small and pink for the pan.

Zipp bounced, rocketed, hopped and twisted amongst the nest of gators that greeted his arrival. McTavish half looked up from the pelt he was working on the porch table, raising his blade more perceptibly than his eyes. Zipp changed trajectory, whilst unclipping a long roll of cloth from his pack. 'Thet's not a knoife' said Zipp, 'thet's a knoife!', flicking out the cloth with a flourish to reveal his recent and substantial prize, a gleaming Masamune. Now the calm and rugged hunter gave close to his full attention.  'What do you want, gnat', with more than a hint of menace in his whisper. 'I know where the treasure is' replied Zipp, '...and you look like a man who likes a good booty...' There was an unusual pause in Zipp's yammer while he waited nervously for a response. None came. 'And there's more where this came from, but just one little problem....' McTavish looked at the pelt and paused. That's enough scrapin' for one day he thought to himself, standing up and fixing his hat. 'Let me go get my alligator'.

very cool -  and it'd be rude not to after that story!  Many thanks!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Je ne c'est LaCroix said:

Stuff gonna be dead yo

Zipp considered himself the only one of his brave crew mates to be blessed with the chat to get the fabled 'Scout of the Swamp' onboard. The shop hovered as he spun off with a cheeky backflip, but not before a wink to the Taxidermist, standing with one eye cast on the Captain, the other eye seemingly devoid of purpose but yet still managing to pull off an air of both wisdom, and bemusement. 'Fry me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast..' sputtered Zipp, a plume of foul smoke and a distant boisterous cackle was all that was left on deck. The Taxidermist was left wondering why the leader of the ship had requested a nipper for breakfast, but headed off to see if he could find something small and pink for the pan.

Cause Earl wasn't having enough hard times with the 1 mate :D  great story :D 

I'm note sure McT knows, or cares, about flying the ship though :)  

I can see Lazarus happy that the ship was stolen from the guild, and he'd give earl a hard time too perhaps!

In other news, I dug out Francois and his stat card to put in the bag.  Not sure if I'll use him yet though.

2 hours ago, Joel said:

I'm note sure McT knows, or cares, about flying the ship though :)  

I can see Lazarus happy that the ship was stolen from the guild, and he'd give earl a hard time too perhaps!

In other news, I dug out Francois and his stat card to put in the bag.  Not sure if I'll use him yet though.

He's kinda squishy, but squash people lighting fast with the right cards