Between 2 factions - Which box(es)

moralebooster

Greetings!

I've been perusing the forums for sometime now hoping to gain some insight on this question. 

I'm a new player and I enjoyed the starter box quite a bit. I have a $100 gift certificate I've been sitting on from Miniature Market for sometime and decided to dedicate it to Malifaux. As far as factions go, I'm torn between (although I probably could get some of both) the Gremlins and the Resurrectionists. 

As a newer player, are there any crews that standout from one another for these factions? Should I go $100 or so all in one, or split it down the middle? Both playstyles and appearances of the factions appeal to me. Just trying to get a gauge on what might be the best bang for my buck. I've read through the tactics guides on the main page and wouldn't mind hearing some people's opinion. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. 

From the Gremlin side of things, Som'er Teeth Jones's box is generally a really great start to collecting the faction, you get a very versatile master, some Bayou Gremlins who are always useful, and Lenny who is a pretty good support model. Ophelia and Wong are both also solid starts. Ophelia's box gives you some more key models and a straightforward master, while Wong's gives you Lightning Bugs who are very versatile and can do pretty much anything at least decently while you're building up a collection. That's not to say that Brewmaster, Mah Tucket and Ulix aren't good masters, but they tend to require a bit more investment, and their boxes don't do quite as much for the rest of the faction.

For non-crew boxes, Slop Haulers are incredibly useful, they give you access to a ton of healing to help with all that self-harm you'll be doing for extra AP or damage, but they're not half bad at scheme running or fighting too. Burt Jebsen is also a great all round mid-cost fighter. Merris LaCroix is amazing at getting scheme markers in position, and can help you out versus blast damage. McTavish and Gracie are also pretty great more expensive models. I'm not sure how much one or two crew boxes and all those would come out to, but something like Som'er or Wong, Slop Haulers, Burt & Merris would be a very good start to the faction.

I'm not really a resurrectionist player so I can't speak for that side of things, but personally I think if you have a few regular opponents who have their own models I would probably start with one faction so you have a few more options and some versatility in crew choice.

I've only dipped a toe into Ressers thus far (primarily going Arcanists and Gremlins myself), but from what I've looked into, the mantra seems to be "Buy the crew box you like the look of, then buy Seamus." Seems like solid advice. I can tell you Seamus' box is fun by itself and with minimal additions (Yin, Hanged), and Belles and Sybelle are super useful for the rest of the faction, from what I can see. Personally, as a second box, I'm planning on McMourning. Nurses seem like another key piece in the faction, and I doubt I'll ever regret having a flesh construct to soak up a beating.
Molly also looks like she'd work particularly well with the rest of Seamus' box, but she needs a few more things for her summoning game.
My two cents.

• Like 1

For ressers I would recommend getting Seamus and Mcmourning, then a small box with Yin maybe. Both masters use almost all of their boxes and part of each others boxes as well, you get nurses and belles which are the best minions in the faction and two masters who can already make a 50ss list with only those boxes. 

When starting you could proxy Yin as a Flesh Construct for Mcmourning's summoning.

Wow! Great advice all around. I really do appreciate it.  I'm going to keep doing more research and see where I end up. It might just come down to looks, which can sometimes be a nice tiebreaker. I appreciate all the advice. I think the Seamus and McMourning boxes with a few additions would be a decent start for the Resurrectionists ,and Somer with some additional add-ons if I choose Gremlins.

• Like 2