Ripples of Fate Namesake & Origins

Flib Jib

Hello everyone,

I absolutely love everything about Wyrd models. Love the lore/fluff, love the detailed and artistic sculpts, and I love the names they give. 

Addressing the last point, I think it’s so clever that Wyrd frequently finds amazing folklore/historical namesakes for some of their characters. I have been researching some of the names for fun and have found a couple lovely discoveries. I wanted to post my findings and share the giggles with others. In addition, I hope to have some help in my quest. There are a couple missing finds and I would love your help if you all have any insight.

Guild

Nellie Cochrane 

Nellie Bly

Pheona Guage

Phineas Gage

Allison Dade

?

Resurrectionist

Reva

Revenant

Vincent St. Clare

Vincent Sinclair

Archie

?

Draugr

Again-walker

Goryo

Vengeful Japanese ghosts

Achanist

Sandeep Desai

?

Banasuva

?

Kudra

?

Amina Naidu

?

Carlos Vasquez

?

Shastar Vidiya Guard

?

Neverborn

Titania

Midsummer Night's Dream

Fai

Fairy

Aeslin

?

Bandersnatch

Through the Looking-Glass

Will o” the Wisp

foolish fire

Rougarou

werewolf

Outcast

Parker Barrows

Bonnie and Clyde

Doc Mitchell

?

Mad Dog Brackett

Beast with a Gun

"Brackett is no mad-dog killer"

Italian mobster from Milan

Wokou Raider

Wokou

Gremlins

Zipp

?

Earl Burns

?

Akaname

Demon from Japanese folklore

Ten Thunders

Asami Tanaka

?

Amanojaku

heavenly evil spirit creature in Japanese folklore

Ohaguro

custom of dyeing one's teeth black

Yōkai

supernatural monsters

Terracotta

clay-based ceramic

Sun Quiang

Chinese darts player

Yasunori

?

Nightmare: The Wild Ones

Iggy pup

Iggy pop

Rollins Black

Henry Rollins

Elli & Pattie Ramones

Ramones Siblings

Cherri Bomb

Hey Violet

With how much Zipp loves to talk, not to mention his sky pirate status and the fact that his First Mate is a lizard type creature, I was under the impression that he is supposed to be 25-Star General, Zapp Brannigan.  Paint job reflected that to the best of my weak ability

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bengt said:

I think Terracotta warrior is a reference to the Terracotta Army, rather than terracotta in general.

I assumed that Cherri Bomb was a reference the song Cherry Bomb by The Runaways. They were a bit more contemporary with the other references in the box, but who knows.

To be fair, looking at the other references he has pointed out, they are all artist rather than songs.  Although that was the first thing that jumped to my mind as well, with Cherri Bomb.

I don't know if Asami's name has a particular meaning (God only knows it does), but I know the type of demon she represents is called the Futakuchi-Onna (Literally, Second-mouth woman).  Although before I saw a picture of her from behind I was hoping she was like the demon from Inuyasha which was.. sorta like a Futakuchi-Onna, but used her hair like spider webs to entangle and kill prey?  The chick from Inuyasha was actually a demon possessing an ornate comb (Hence the use of hair as it's main weapon) though, so really unrelated, just the first thing that jumped to my head when I saw Asami :P

Also, I'm not so sure about the link to Vincent Sinclair for Vincent St. Clair.  I could be wrong, but it doesn't really strike me as the intended reference.

Also for Mad Dog, you can add McCree to the list of old things vaguely related :P  I remember playing that old game, it's crazy awesome.

And I don't know anything about the myths that Sandeep & C. are founded on, but doesn't Banasuva look like Shiva?  That might be a highly uneducated guess, but it's the first thing I think of when I see multi-limbed, especially in a very Hindu-y pose like that.  But I really don't know if there are more gods that have multiple limbs, or one that might fit the bill better :P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tawg said:

I don't know if Asami's name has a particular meaning (God only knows it does), but I know the type of demon she represents is called the Futakuchi-Onna (Literally, Second-mouth woman).  Although before I saw a picture of her from behind I was hoping she was like the demon from Inuyasha which was.. sorta like a Futakuchi-Onna, but used her hair like spider webs to entangle and kill prey?  The chick from Inuyasha was actually a demon possessing an ornate comb (Hence the use of hair as it's main weapon) though, so really unrelated, just the first thing that jumped to my head when I saw Asami :P

On the on digit, Tanaka's an incredibly common family name.

On the other digit, the most popular Asami Tanaka in Japanese web searches is a fashion model.

On a third digit, the auto-complete for Asami Tanaki for English Google is "Asami Tanaka Dentistry".  As in Dr. Asami Tanaka, D.D.S., Mr.  Who also operates a well known dentistry supplies business.

I think the matter rests on the delightful coincidence of those two namesakes, but that's just speculation on my part. :)

• Like 1

On 10/7/2016 at 10:51 PM, Bengt said:

I think Terracotta warrior is a reference to the Terracotta Army, rather than terracotta in general.

I assumed that Cherri Bomb was a reference the song Cherry Bomb by The Runaways. They were a bit more contemporary with the other references in the box, but who knows.

Yep, 100% agree

Shastara Vidiya is a northwestern Indian martial art (the name itself is Indian for the SCIENCE OF WEAPONS which is the coolest thing ever) see here for more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatka

Can't find much else on the new Arcanist models, except for this political prisoner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amina_Desai, but she isn't from India.

Yasunori is a common Japanese name but it might be referring to this fictional villain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasunori_Katō

The Barrows Gang was a real life gang of outlaws that terrorized Central America during the Great Depression: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow_Gang

Carlos Vasquez comes from two famous stuntmen: Carlos Lopez and Jose Vasquez

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2016 at 8:39 AM, SoylentRobot said:

Shastara Vidiya is a northwestern Indian martial art (the name itself is Indian for the SCIENCE OF WEAPONS which is the coolest thing ever) see here for more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatka

Thanks for sharing this! Very cool article and if you look at the images of those demonstrating the martial are you can see that the models for the Shasta Vidiya Guard are spot on! I'm even more excited for these guys now! The triggers on the Ten-fist long sword even reference some of the traditional Gatka forms--very well researched Wyrd designers!

My contribution here: Sandeep's weapon is called a Gada and is also a traditional Indian weapon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gada_(mace)