Night in Malifaux - Building A Malifaux City Board

SilentSeeker

large.IMG_0366.jpg

Hi,

I would like to share my up to date buildings and table elements. Further on I will show some of the steps on how I make the stuff.

I’m trying to build a semi-modular city board which transports the nightly atmosphere of the Malifaux artwork (chapeaux dear artists!).

Even though it might be to dense or a bit unpractical (“Lets walk up this tower [for the view]; it’s only 30” up!”) I want to build a “downtown”. After all, in games, I will not need to place all the terrain pieces :-)

Hope You like it :)

(first pictures will follow soon).

Regards,

Timo

• Like 7

Love this!  I think that just because something may require you to RETHINK how you play on it does not make it unusable.  The tower is large, yes but totally goes with the setting!  I have wanted to do a downtown board for a long time.  Keep the pics coming!!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2016 at 8:17 PM, Sandmann said:

That looks very promising :)!

Thank You :)

On 10/6/2016 at 8:21 PM, Burnin' Coal said:

Oh wow !  I'm onboard for this one...looks great already 

Thank You, too :D

On 10/7/2016 at 11:57 AM, DrEvilmonki said:

So how do you do the brick work in the foam? Is it cut or scored?

First, I draw a line with a pencil or sometimes a pen (with a ruler). Then I cut long the line with a knife. And again I draw along the line with a pen/pencil.

For the latest building (the background building in the last picture) I tried something new; I pushed a slim metal ruler into the foam with some amount of pressure.

On 10/7/2016 at 5:17 PM, Gremlin66 said:

Looking good. Great work.

On 10/7/2016 at 5:25 PM, Legba said:

Love this!  I think that just because something may require you to RETHINK how you play on it does not make it unusable.  The tower is large, yes but totally goes with the setting!  I have wanted to do a downtown board for a long time.  Keep the pics coming!!

Good to hear :). I'm quite new to Malifaux so I'm not exactly sure how the buildings will affect a "normal" game. We will see.... :-P

So, just do it - the downtown board ;). More people making Malifaux terrain is nice for inspiration :)

Pics will come! :)

On 10/8/2016 at 5:38 AM, Bazlord_Prime said:

Yeah, and the weathering effect on the stone blocks looks great! How was that done?

Awesome work, & thanks for sharing

Thank You :D

The "weathering" was easy: there is none :D.

First I painted the foam all black. Next I dry-brushed the walls twice with a darker green. I did it again with a lighter green, but only here and there. And last I dry-brushed the walls with a light grey, but only at a very few places.

(grey is not in the picture)

large.IMG_0541.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2016 at 9:59 PM, Frozen Feet said:

Pretty amazing!

If you ever want to get rid of that Board..... PLEEAASE CALLL ME!!:D

Looks absolutely beautiful... but a little, hhhm, let me say: time-consuming.

Great job:+fate

Time-consuming? Yeah, that's true..... ;-P

On 10/11/2016 at 11:54 PM, Burnin' Coal said:

Man this is going to turn into a master class...and the whole board will end up superb...really enjoying following your progress

Thank You, too, Burnin' Coal.

On 10/12/2016 at 4:39 PM, Gremlin66 said:

Keep them coming. Those are great.

Happy You like it :)

On 10/12/2016 at 5:13 PM, Adran said:

Wow, the work on the windows... 

These look like some amazing buildings, very atmospheric. keep them comin

I will :). And thanks.

On 10/14/2016 at 6:53 AM, Sandmann said:

Amazing stuff.

I am in awe that you made the windows out of foam too. That is insane! But in a good way :D

Foam windows seemed to be a fast way. But it appeared that wooden ones wouldn't take much more time :-P (but they would have been more stable).

On 10/26/2016 at 5:24 AM, ArcticPangolin said:

Totally bonkers! Well done SilentSeeker :)

So lets see what happened in the last two weeks:

large.IMG_0673.jpg

Roof tiles made out of balsa wood and glued with white glue. I cut the overlapping tiles with a knife.

large.IMG_0675.jpg

I made the floors out of balsa wood, too. To prevent curving while gluing i moistened the wood with water on the face up surface too. It appears, that balsa wood spreads into the width when strongly moistened, so i had to cut it a bit more.

large.IMG_0674.jpg

The roof again.

large.IMG_0683.jpg

The finished roof and some decorative stripes.

large.IMG_0685.jpg

The inside of the ground floor.

large.IMG_0684.jpg

The inside of the upper floor (roof floor is not playable).

large.IMG_0686.jpg

Everything primed.

• Like 2

And the (almost) finishing steps:

large.IMG_0704.jpg

The front.

large.IMG_0705.jpg

The back.

large.IMG_0707.jpg

Ground floor.

large.IMG_0706.jpg

Upper floor.

I used only drybrush techniques to paint the walls. For the roof I used a red, than a pink and finally a beige.

For the walls i applied a darker green, a bright green, than darkened again with black and added some diversity with a brown.

I painted the windows with a dark brown and drybrushed with a lighter brown (only from the outside).

The parquet: First I pained it with a strongly water thinned  dark brown. Then I painted stripes on it with thinned washed (light brown wash, dark brown wash and black wash).

Some minor details are still missing and I hope I will get them done in the next few days :)

• Like 5