Asami List Theoryfaux

InvokeChaos

1 hour ago, newsun said:

The charge debuff is the reason for that upgrade and it has saved so many models, that is one upgrade I'd be hard not to take. Don't think I've pulled off the reaching part.

I think 7 stones is crucial for her or any summoner.

It seems we have a different playstyle as I never let asami get within charge range of enemy models. The only way people are able to charge her or within 4" of her is if I allow them or they have something like Bettari (no LoS, ignore terrain).

After turn 2 I swapped it over for A Fate Of Mortals for the card draw on killing, which is pretty insane considering Bettari can blow up a model per turn.

Imo Bettari is also fairly safe in an Asami crew. I could overextend fairly hard as long as I still had Asami to activate. Bettari getting targetted? Summon a Yokai and place her into safety.

I did notice summoners are my preferred playstyle (RIP wallet), so I'll play some more asami for now. After that I'm probably switching to The Dreamer to see just how different their playstyle is. I must admit Asami felt like summoning Yokai and just throwing them into the enemy for free scheme markers at the end of the turn.

After doing some pondering about what I am going to play this year, I decided in the end that this will be the year of the Thunders.

I am going to try Asami out, and I am looking at starting out with the following pool:

Core crew

Asami's box

Kamiatachi

Tengus

Shadow Emissary

Katanaka Sniper

Terracotta Warrior

Shadow Effigy (since I love the guy)

---------------------------------------------------

Nice fillers

Yin / Lone Swordsman

Chiaki

Tannen

---------------------------------------------------

Somewhere down the line

Jorogumos, and/or Obsidian Oni

I tend not to play summoners, since I have a hard time dedicating 11-13 cards to summon things. Thus, I cannot be bothered getting Jorogumos from the get go. I can see one or two getting into the game by turn three or four, around some scrap/corpse, and stay around for the rest of the game. Making them quite useful and efficient. But I want to start out by focusing on the bread and butter summons and dedicate those high cards to hurt things.

Asami seems to be some strange combination of Molly/Dreamer in terms of summoning, and a less potent Misaki on the offensive end. The latter probably being my favourite master so my expectations for Asami is quite high; in providing a fun and interesting game. Looking forward to getting started!

2 hours ago, Patzer said:

snip

My absolute core with Asami's crew would be Kamaitachi and Terracotta Warriors. the combo with the card draw, heal and push is vital in my playstyle. Since Asami takes damage from charging off of her ability, you can heal 2 charges per turn by swapping an upgrade.

Tengu can be summoned as a last-ditch effort for his scheme marker clearing. For other things I find Yokai to be superior.

I would only summon Jorogumo is I can get 2+ Flicker on him and he stays until the end of the game. Imo the 13 is otherwise better used in blowing stuff up with Bettari or keeping Bettari safe. My main summon is Yokai because they are just so magnificent in what they do. You should also keep in mind I'm an advocate of Jorogumo being a good summon. 

The main problem with Jorogumo is that he only has ml5, which is thesame as Yokai. His triggers are even worse than Yokai as they require a specific suit and only give + flip to the damage in comparison to ++ from Yokai. Yokai also has + flip on charge attacks which Jorogumo doesn't have.

The only reason I would summon a Jorogumo is to keep opponents occupied or to block LoS. For all the rest a Yokai is superior.

I'm not completely sold on the Emissary yet. For about thesame price I can get Yasunori who can operate alone and is a true powerhouse. Whenever I field yasunori, my opponent is forced to use his big bad monster OR multiple monsters on it to keep it occupied. This either gives me activation control or lets Bettari go even more crazy due to lower threat against her. In my last game my Bettari shredded 3 models before finally dieing. This was only possible because Yasunori tied up (big) Bad JuJu and the rest of the damage was manageable for her to survive through the turn.

I see you have also listed Tannen in your fillers. I'm not really a fan of him in this crew as he doesn't really allow any crazy things the way he allows them for The Dreamer. I think we can summon a Yasunori if we Red Joker (14) it while in Tannen's aura, but I'm not completely sure about that. As you can already guess, chances of that happening are a lot lower than Dreamer summoning Teddy. At least Dreamer can get 2 cards to do the trick vs the 1 card Asami uses. Since I also play Asami back more and go on offense with Yokai, enemy models barely ever get in range to do something tannen can help with. Then again, if you play her very agressivelly YMMV.

41 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Asami can only summon Oni minions. So no Yasunori. Dreamer can do his thing with Teddy because Dreamer explicitly gets to summon enforcers as well.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad I wrote "I think" on it as I wasn't completely sure about it.

This makes Tannen even worse for Asami imo as there is nothing special about him. Summoning a Yokai on a 7 with his aura isn't worth the soulstone cost to a defensive (master) style player such as myself.

Just now, whodares said:

Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad I wrote "I think" on it as I wasn't completely sure about it.

This makes Tannen even worse for Asami imo as there is nothing special about him. Summoning a Yokai on a 7 with his aura isn't worth the soulstone cost to a defensive (master) style player such as myself.

That makes Tannens "leave it to luck" worse - Tannen himself is still a great defensive piece imo :)

5 hours ago, Tris said:

That makes Tannens "leave it to luck" worse - Tannen himself is still a great defensive piece imo :)

I find Asami to be incredibly mobile and fast. I wouldn't want to slow her down for Tannen and frankly her 0 place is great defense along with grasping strands if you are really worried.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Somnicide said:

I find Asami to be incredibly mobile and fast. I wouldn't want to slow her down for Tannen and frankly her 0 place is great defense along with grasping strands if you are really worried.

Tannen dont have to keep up with asami. He can go about and doing his own thing. If asami happens to be around, I guess that is a plus. 

10 hours ago, Tris said:

+++ I dont really  care about leave it to luck. Its nice to have and might get me some yokais with lower masks in hand, but its not why I want to bring Tannen. 

10 hours ago, newsun said:

Yeah he's best for the no cheat aura imo.

Especially with Asami, this is true. If you can drain their hand before she activates, then you can confidently use a stone to hit her assassinate trigger, and then they're about 60/40 to just die on the spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomjoad said:

Especially with Asami, this is true. If you can drain their hand before she activates, then you can confidently use a stone to hit her assassinate trigger, and then they're about 60/40 to just die on the spot.

Hand destruction may be an underrated side of asami. Like Misaki she might get a lot of milage out of models who forces discards. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patzer said:

Hand destruction may be an underrated side of asami. Like Misaki she might get a lot of milage out of models who forces discards. 

Which is true and one of the main reasons why Bettari works so well with her. If she can get in 1 attack, that's instant 6 damage on your model. The opponents I've faced always cheated on Bettari when they could to keep her damage contained. Nothing beats blowing up a single model in 1 attack and healing to full health :)

I might try and play Asami a bit more front-line soon, but my style is and remains to play her mid-line where almost nothing can touch her and just poop out Yokai with + to the charge attack.

I haven't had a chance to play my Asami crew yet. But this is want I'm thinking of trying first.

• Dawn Serpent will be playing second "Enforcer" 
  • Shadow Effigy to Remember the Mission on summoned Oni and then Accomplice them
  • Sue to help get card draw with Hurt

Asami.JPG

9 hours ago, saynoir said:

I haven't had a chance to play my Asami crew yet. But this is want I'm thinking of trying first.

• Dawn Serpent will be playing second "Enforcer" 
  • Shadow Effigy to Remember the Mission on summoned Oni and then Accomplice them
  • Sue to help get card draw with Hurt

To be honest, i'm not a big fan of your list. I prefer to go kamaitachi + terracotta warrior for the heal on Asami which also gives push and card draw. It also allows Asami to be even more flexible as you can swap upgrades you're not using. Running behind a bit in VP? Switch to the other upgrade and summon a free Oni at VP difference +3. Need more damage? Grasping Strands etcetc

I usually take at least 1 Brother with me because he's just the best scheme-protecting model we have BY FAR. hard to take down with defense 6 (7 if defensive) and no scheme marker discard within 5".

I'll take a look at the effigy. Remember the mission looks a lot better in GG17 than it used to do, so I might start taking the little guy with me.

On 18/03/2017 at 1:07 PM, whodares said:

Just a question about this: Don't I get the 3" place after I declare which interact action and not before?

(0) Corrupting Essence (Ca 5 / TN: 10): Lower this model's Flicker Condition by 1.
Then, if this model is still in play, it may take a (1) Interact Action.

Ephemeral Warriors: After the value of the Poison or Flicker Condition on this model is lowered, if this model is still in play, this model
may be placed within 3", not in terrain, after completing the current Action. (If the Condition is ended or removed without lowering the value,
this Ability does not come into play).

This looks like I first have to remove + declare which interact to complete my 0 action.

Do tell me if I'm wrong here, because it would be very interesting for me to know how these wordings should be read.

You are right. You have to take the interact action before the corrupting essence action is complete, and ephemeral warriors won't kick in until you complete Corrupting essence. 

I played another game with her last night after having flirted with Misaki and Shenlong for a few weeks. She is just so amazingly flexible. I ultimately lost but it was 7-10 as opposed to the last time I played this opponent (far and away the best in our group). Last time I lost 0-10 with Shenlong and felt I had no idea how I was going to get points. This game my opponent had to work at it, plus she got to devour Asami with her other mouth, and that's always cathartic.

Also this was the first game with a good pool for Feigned Weakness, and getting 4 free summons was nice. Sucks they still keep slow though.