Asami List Theoryfaux

InvokeChaos

4 hours ago, Piccio said:

I'm agree... with ML6 she'd be broken.

With Asami Ama can benefit from Focus+2 and charge (flying) spending just 1 ap. She has a good weak damage of 3 and a awesome heavy damage of 7, cheatable also if you hit with double negative due double focus. She uses SS and has some expensive but useful utilities as obey or azardous terrain. She also can self heal.

I think her ML5 was a heavy weakness for sure before Asami but now this stat is balancing her (up to 2+1 attack in charge eventually under focus). If you kill something inside the charge attacks sometimes you can charge another times.

If you need to damage something fat and low defence she works pretty well, otherwise at similar SS cost the choice is Bettari (ML6 and offensive abilities in her kit, but lower damage output and less tanky).

How does ml 6 make her broken when we're comparing her to other beaters who are ml 6-7 with minimum 4 damage often. This idea is seriously flawed imo.

23 minutes ago, newsun said:

How does ml 6 make her broken when we're comparing her to other beaters who are ml 6-7 with minimum 4 damage often. This idea is seriously flawed imo.

How many of those beaters cost 9 stones? Teddy, Langston etc. tend to be in the +10ss region.

Not that I'd mind paying 10ss for Ama with ml6.

Ss cost is not the big deal, I'd pay 11-12 if she hit reliably. 

Look at Francois he is only 7 has access to stilts his like a truck and can generate his own fast via reckless...obviously there are downsides to dumb luck, never the less he's easy to trade up and threaten with. Ama is more of a maybe.

This is however a bit off main thread topic at this point.

So with that I'll toss out a list idea I've been crafting:

Asami

Nefarious pact/ Heavenly design

Grasping strands

Equality

Yasunori (might end up subbing him out for more bodies)

Anna Lovelace

Sensei Yu

Wandering river

Terracotta

Shadow effigy

This is pretty much guaranteed to yield three up field yokai turn one and activation control. Yasunori moves up focuses and stacks the deck, Anna hits him and you get a card and a mindless zombie. Yu pushes Asami 10". Then based on hand you begin summoning, using stones as needed. Sometimes you will need to summon only two Yokai and then Tengu which gives Yas regen. Terracotta is there to swap in Low river style and maybe help Asami swap her upgrades around too.

Have yet to play a match, though I've tested turn one a bunch.

15 hours ago, newsun said:

How many SS Nekima costs? 4 more

How many SS Langston costs? 3 more

Francois is terribly cheap, but many 7points reckless gremlins are cheap.

Nekima and Lengstone are beaters, really strong but beaters.. Ama is not only a beater, you can use her obey to help friendly model doing interact or just extra ap.  Boil helps to avoid charges / cover objective.

When far from 3/X/X damage enemies she is also quite tanky.

Under recalled training with Ml6 you can cheat almost time for 7 damages, with Ml5 you have to waste cards also to hit.

I played her with Asami a couple of time and she was good in couple with bettari, less offensive (while not under focus), but more survability and some trick.

For my experience the main reason to consider her expensive out of Asami list is the seeds cost of tacticals, not Ml5.

Something to keep in mind, is that Jorogumo is still amazing and he is only Ml5. The reality is that Ama is a utility minion hunter. Jorogumo is tanky beater. Both eat minions for breakfast, and both heal from doing so. That's a totally valid position to be in. 

I'm not typically going to send her after a Df6-7 character. I'm going to use her obey, I'm going to set up hazardous terrain, and I'm going to devour anything that has Df5. And if nothing has Df5 or lower (I almost never see that), then she's going to become a utility scheme runner that at worst can focus to hit for 7 damage typically.

Yes if you're opponent wants to guarantee a miss, they can cheat that 13 on a df6 character. But that's a pyschological game in itself. I'm not going to send Ama no Zako out for a game winning play against Df6. That's a hail mary play. You send her after things you can kill.

Now that all being said, her Ml5 is a barrier for me. She does a ton of great stuff, but she has some staunch competition at her point cost. I think that Asami is a great place for her as is brewie, who can bring the negative flips. 

Anywho.

Total maliFaux League - East Coast

Had a great run of Asami at TFL East Coast! Thanks again to Chris Weinstein and crew for a great event! And thanks to all of you for great ideas and concepts that really helped me shape how I play Asami.

Here's what I ran and I went 3-2, tied for 5th (with a bunch of people) and the 2 games I lost were high quality games that I could have won. So I was very happy all in all. Only my 2nd tournament, and my first "high level" tourney. 32 people.

THE LIST

Asami Tanaka - 5ss Cache
-A Heavenly Design
-Servant of the Five Dragons

Kamaitachi

Ohaguro Bettari
-A Taste for Flesh

Yasunori
-Equality

The Lone Swordsman
-Recalled Training

Terracotta Warrior

Yokai/10T Brother (switched out as I felt was necessary)

I was originally going to bring a more diverse set of models to swap in, but time was at a premium, so I decided to stick with this list throughout all my games. 

THE ROUNDS

Brief breakdown, it was over a week ago, I've been in tremendous pain, and as such my memory of the event is very foggy. I remember my losses the most clear, aside from a Round 4 play against Reva, which I remember because Reva is my current obsession for Rezzers.

Round 1 - Guild - Perdita with Papa in a Box - Win (don't remember scores but I won like 9-5 or something) Yasunori got taken out FAST, but that's because he dove in turn one and did SHENANIGANS. Lone Swordsman was a superstar here, though I forgot about his bulletproof when Perdita was shooting him in melee... DOH! Was able to put tremendous pressure on my opponent and close the gap super fast, with my three beaters all eventually dying, but getting me the game scheme-wise for their efforts

Round 2 - Neverborn - Lilith - Played Andrew, he's a (the?) henchman out of NYC. Great guy, good game. lost 8-4, but was a winnable game. I made some poor committing choices that enabled my opponent to score 3 points, and kept me from scoring a couple. He had three waldgeists with flank deployment and leave your mark. Swordsman took out two, but I diverted Yasunori away to support Bettari (who on a bad run of cards was getting some hurt put on her) and sent yokai to tie up the other waldgeist. I SHOULD have killed it first, knowing betarri was going to die anyways. Then I could freely send in Swordsman or Yasu and not worry about the Bad Juju that was chilling out. But instead that waldgeist got 3 victory points on leave your mark, because I couldn't keep it pinned down and my yokai flickered away. I forget where I lost my points at, but I know that I made a bad play that lost me 2 victory points... think it was the overcommit of yasu when I couldn't reliably kill bad juju.

Round 3 - Gremlins - Wong - Yasunori was the superstar here as he was able to get into a Glowy McTavish turn 1 and turn him into mincemeat. This game was the fuzziest, I remember that it was the popping up everywhere wong, glowy, 2x swinecursed list. But I had enough beef to put everything down. I kept tying up wong with Asami, just to keep him from blasting out. He had some kind of push/reposition, but it still always put him on the back foot. Won (again don't remember score, but it was close)

Round 4 - Ressurectionists - Reva - I play Rezzers as my secondary faction, and have been theorycrafting Reva since she was spoiled. So I knew everything she could do, I think better than my opponent. I remember this game the most because I felt in control the most. He ran emissary, archie, reva with the kill master kit, three shieldbearers. Unfortunately, Asami is pretty close to a hard counter for Reva. He popped a corpse candle in front of my deployment zone to threaten hard. But I won initiative and sent Asami in to kill it, then used the corpse marker as fuel. Yasunori demolished Archie, and a Recalled Training, reactivating swordsman laid low the emissary, and by turn 2 he was down to a wounded reva, and three shieldbearers. I killed two of them before game was called, nearly tabling him. He just didn't have options. He tried to throw a massive attack from Reva into Yasunori, consuming a bunch of corpse markers, but Mold of the Other nullified that. Without the heavy hit, he just couldn't chew through Yasu. Solid win for me.

Round 5 - Guild - Typical Sonnia-Papa crew, but my opponent Travis (great guy) offered for me to pick my master, so I said not Sonnia. So he gave me Perdita haha. Travis is a monster on the table, and it heralded back to the game with Andrew where I made some bad decisions that allowed him to put pressure on me, when I didn't need to be pressured. Ultimately lost at 9-7, but was a fantastic game. I gave him free shots on my 10T bros, that ultimately denied me a round of convict labor. I know I could have played a bit better to pull out the draw or win, but I was very happy with the game overall.

THE WRAP-UP

Asami was a lot of fun. I really missed not having my Chiaki or Anna (away getting painted all pretty) but having the Wonder Weasel was a great help with cards. And Yasunori. I'm strongly looking at running Anna, Yasu, Terracotta and the Wonder Weasel as my core. I really enjoyed Bettari, but I just didn't get enough work out of her. I had some great tricks, but it seemed whenever she dove in, I just didnt' have the cards I needed (so I was throwing her up to be a speed-bump) or I had the cards, but I HAD to summon.

Lone Swordsman was amazing, as usual.

But the MVP by far has to go to Yasunori. He is exactly the model that my lists tend to lack: A focus point. The opponent CANNOT ignore him. And with the Warrior and Armor 1 with 12 wds... he sticks longer than you'd think. He definitely folds to dedicated assaults, and he died in almost everyone of my games. But the work he did, even if it wasn't an even point trade, always impacted my games heavily. The opponent couldn't just look away. Each of my opponents had the same reaction... "Wow. It does what?"

He's not going to be an auto-pick in all of my lists, but I cannot understate how well he performs when properly supported. I am looking forward to trying interesting shenanigans, like giving him Armor +2 from Yan Lo, or obeying him with Brewmaster. Or using his great sage to plan around getting my aces with Lynch. Tossing him Strangemetal Shirt or Badge of Speed with McCabe. But I will say he is a 17pt package. If you are bringing Yasunori, I really feel you need that Terracotta Warrior. I am seriously looking at Terracotta as a staple for everyone anyways. Terracotta was a much needed injection into our toolbox, and combined with Yokai, Asami and Yasunori, I feel we are at a very strong point with 10T as a whole. And that's not even talking about the utility and game changing presences of Sun Quiang and Black Betty.

THE EVOLUTION

My original list featured Amanjaku, Hannah and Anna. No longer. I also moved away entirely from Low River Monk. Not that I don't think he's not amazing with his upgrade, but he isn't required with Asami. I think he is golden with certain masters, but I always need those 4pts elsewhere, normally in upgrades and cache.

Chiaki and Yokai are still solid picks that I use constantly (or would if I had Chiaki available haha!). 

So here's the deal: the Hannah/Anna combo is still on the table, but with wanting to field Yasunori, I think I may have to pass on it. I loved the card shenanigans, and Hannah, Anna, Weasel, Terracotta is a tremendous amount of card cycling.

But I'm not running enough to enable Hannah to do anything more than copy a 3 damage ranged attack. She's got a great melee range and threat bubble, but for 1pt more, I get Yasunori. And as long as he gets hit, I get the card that Hannah would provide. And his threat range is MASSIVE, as is his damage potential. They both have Armor, but Yasu has his amazing 0 actions that at worst do damage and at best have utterly guaranteed my next attack from him ended my opponent.

I can't tell you the number of times that I Great Saged and arranged for my next attack to be something like a 13, 2, 11 so that I could try for that straight flip into severe. Or make sure I get that repeat trigger. It's why I don't think he needs recalled training. That built in positive to attacks already looks at the top 2 cards. You want to Great Sage to setup your damage flip. And when Yasu flips a 13, and the opponent sees that his track is "only" 3/4/5, they often will opt to just let you have the straight flip rather than wasting a card to put you on negative. But that adds up. I used to look at great sage as a strong setup for summoning, but really it's only a situationally strong ability for setting up other models. Without accomplice/companion, I really like it to setup my next attack. I've also used it to discover I'm going to get three severes in a row, and just opted to scheme, so I didn't waste a severe on his positive flip. There's just so much you can do with that information. 

So yeah. The list has shaped up a bit... Hannah, Jaku and Low River are out... Yasu, Wonder Weasel and Terra are in.

• Like 4

Armor can be a conditon, but it can also be an ability.  So this trick will sometimes work (but as you planned to use it)

As a rough guide, if you have Armor printed on your card, its an ability, which won't be affected by Amanjaku. If something has given you Armor, it is a condition, and will be affaected by Amanjaku. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question for all of you - what do you all think of Lust?

Asami's crew suffers from having virtually no WP attacks in it, virtually no ranged capabilities  (outside of summoned Obsidian Oni), and has two GIGANTIC threats in the form of Yasunori and Asami herself to keep pressure off of Lust while she hopefully slows, repositions, and deals passive damage to enemies.

In theory, Lust is an ultra powerful model, how does she work in practice?

Worth it?

23 minutes ago, Whut said:

Question for all of you - what do you all think of Lust?

Asami's crew suffers from having virtually no WP attacks in it, virtually no ranged capabilities  (outside of summoned Obsidian Oni), and has two GIGANTIC threats in the form of Yasunori and Asami herself to keep pressure off of Lust while she hopefully slows, repositions, and deals passive damage to enemies.

In theory, Lust is an ultra powerful model, how does she work in practice?

Worth it?

I've used her and she works just fine. 

• She's relatively self sufficient, which is good for Asami. 
  • She can also drain enemy resources pretty effectively; Asami is often card starved, so draining your opponent's hand or stacking their deck makes it a lot easier on you.
  • She can move oni towards Asami to set up the 1-action charge
  • You can also move enemies towards Obsidian Oni to set up a costly explosion or into range of Jorogumo's (0) bite
  • Once you get summoning going, you probably have the numbers to keep Manipulative up a while, which either keeps Lust alive, or drains more enemy cards

4 hours ago, qoob said:

With wandering river style i suppose? Not too expensive? 

With the Terracotta along, you can also retain the flexibility Yu is accustomed to getting from Shenlong. Being able to copy Asami's 6" place 0 action is even a fair tradeoff for losing Shenlong's (incredibly good) 0 options.