Painters Challenge 2016 - OCTOBER

Vaiuri

New thread for October is open!

Feel free to use this thread to post WIP photos (if you so desire), get feedback, trade ideas and hobby tips as we continue the year into October.

When you have completed your pledge, feel free to post it, but I'd like everyone to post at the start of next month (November) with their completed pledge photo and stone value for OCTOBER - this will make it a lot easier for me to keep track of where everyone is up to.  Plus, we get to start off subsequent months with some inspirational posts of what people have gotten up to the month before :D  You can also PM me with your completed pledge if you like, and I'll add it to our tracker (to be updated!).

Massive shout out to everyone who's been storming through their pledges, fantastic work everyone!

I've terribly behind with the tracker, once I get a good hour to get my head down (and a decent internet connection - grrr!) I'll get it updated and uploaded.  Apologies for letting it get behind :(

Once again, I'm so happy to see everyone posting pics of their stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyones crews are looking like at the end of this!

• Like 1

PC16_Sep_zpst2hgaegt.jpg

In September I painted:

• Mobile Toolkit - 3 SS
  • 2 Large Arachnids - 12 SS
  • Molly Squidpiddge - 15 SS
  • Ponto - 2 SS
  • Philip and the Nanny - 8 SS
  • 3 Crooligans - 12 SS
  • 4 Night Terrors - 12 SS

For a total of 64 SS

I got some Union Miners on the table, not sure what I'll do after them. Maybe I'll get around to converting up some Mindless Zombies from the TtB kits...

Closeups

• Like 5

In September I finished the three flying monkeys from the Dr. Cooper crew.  The slate ridge mauler was my already started ride along model.  I heard about some steam arachnid summoning schenanigans that were possible with the Malifaux child, so I picked up that one and finished it quickly as well. 

large.Sept2016_3Monkeys_SLR_done.jpg

The monkeys are out of focus, but to be honest I am glad.  A bad primer job left the surfaces with a pebbly texture that was had to do much with.

My total for September:

3 flying monkeys * 2 SS = 6 SS

1 Malifaux child * 2 SS = 2 SS

Total: 8 SS

For October, I will focus on getting my Rasputina crew almost finished up.  I will be doing the wendigo, snow storm, and the ice golem.  Can't wait to get them on the table.

large.Oct2016_Rasputina_crew.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

I heard about some steam arachnid summoning schenanigans that were possible with the Malifaux child

From the FAQ/Errata:

"29. Malifaux Child: Just Like You may not be used to take Actions that list a model by name."

• Like 1

Hello

For September, I painted a mechanical attendant (2ss) and a hunter (7ss) for 9ss in total:

20160920_192751_zpstdzozg3y.jpg

I'm currently finishing a steam arachnid swarm and after that I may either paint a trapper or Hoffman. Inspiration will tell which decision I will take!

Edit: @Bengt I love the color scheme you chose for your arachnids. @prof_bycid Excellent work on the child and the bear!

• Like 7

I finally updated my tracking sheet!

I have no doubt there are mistakes, please PM me if you spot any and I shall correct :)

I've removed myself from the running as my life spiralled out of conrtol and I gave up any hope of painting even a measely 5 stones a month - very disappointed in myself, but I'm really enjoying keeping tabs on what you guys are all up to.  Maybe I'll pick up a brush again in the new year and join you once again.

Fear not though, I shall maintain the threads and keep adding our details to the tracking sheet so we can all clap ourselves on the back at the end of Feb and be proud of everything we've done!  Keep up the great work everyone!

Malifaux_Painting_2016.xlsx

Hey all! It is with some regret that I must join @Vaiuri and bow out of the challenge, as well. Life did run away with me quite a bit lately, and between that and a good period of serious burnout, I was unable to continue to fulfill my pledge. It has been a blast and I am still really impressed with myself for getting so far, and absolutely impressed with all of you still cranking out excellent work every month. I'll be checking in to see all of your progress from time to time. It was a pleasure to be part of this with you all.

16 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

Rust, those gamin are amazing!  All three really, but I really like what you did with the gamin.  The glowing metal is a nice feature that contrasts with the less colorful but extremely well painted bodies.

Thanks! I was feeling really uninspired with painting more all metal models. The glowing metal adds some contrast. Glad you like them!

In September i painted

http://i.imgur.com/cmAUFbA.jpg

Masters of the Path (Yan Lo - 15, Chiaki - 6, Soul Porter - 3, three Ashigaru - 5, 5, 5)

A Fistful of Scrip (Parker Barrows - 15, Mad Dog Brackett - 9, Doc Mitchell - 3, three Bandidos - 5, 5, 5)

Montresor - 9, Hannah - 10, Malifaux Child - 2, two Nurses - 5, 5, and two Hanged - 9, 9

for a total of 130SS. (Other stuff got finished but i didnt count those since it was just their base and not the model itself)

This month ill be painting Big Jake, Anna Lovelace, Johan, and the Hodgepodge Emissary

http://i.imgur.com/TzfdRds.jpg

• Like 6

My September pledge was done according to the plan. I also managed to also paint the Twins, which makes a total of 41 stones

starter_neverborn1.jpg

starter_neverborn2.jpg

lelu_lilitu.jpg

In October I will make a start on Titania's set. Not sure yet which minis I will start with but here there are, all in their unassembled glory:

titania_start_zpszlevja6v.jpg

• Like 4

Looking really good, nice metallics and great base. 

I've experimented with a few different light boxes, made one on my own too but Foldio just gets the job done - I instantly get perfect lighting and the setup is fast and simple. Not cheap for sure but I've never regretted splurging on it.

• Like 1