Crutch Models - Are they Real??

I've heard on loads of podcasts that certain models can become "crutches" to a particular Master or Faction, and I'm interested in learning which models the good people here think may fit that designation?

I don't want to see any arguments start up, and it goes (or, would've been nice if it could've gone) without saying that no model need be considered a crutch, since they're all available and all vetted and balanced, etc etc. So perhaps the question is best phrased this way:

"Which models, in any Faction, have you found yourself picking so often that you've found yourself thinking "Hmmm...perhaps I need to dial it back a bit and try some of the other offerings"?

Starting it off - but only from a theory-faux viewpoint, as I haven't played that many games yet:

- The Pigapult (Gremlins).  Whenever I'm reading through S&S now, I find myself thinking things like "Yeah, okay - so to score this I'd just fling a few Piglets or Bayou Gremlins upfield on Turn 1, and done!:D

For the longest time, the December Acolyte was a go-to model for me in any crew. Ramos, December Acolyte. Marcus, December Acolyte. Raspy, naturally. 

I've started to break away from using the Acolyte, though. For a while, Envy was my crutch du jour, but now I'm using the Arcane Effigy and Firestarter a lot, hopefully not to crutch levels again, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

I've heard on loads of podcasts that certain models can become "crutches" to a particular Master or Faction,

I would argue that they are a crutch to the player, rather than the master or faction.

It becomes quite easy to play in a loop in Malifaux where you use the models you are most comfortable or which "feel" the most "powerful"/effective etc.
The game is a game of resource management and I regularly win in "our" local meta without running what people classify as "optimized" lists.

In the end every model in the books can be used for various functions to less or more of a degree with different masters when dealing with different strategies and schemes.
The players ability to select the right master and crew for the schemes and strategies and then to adapt to use each "tool" (cards, stones, models etc) effectively will define their success.

Are some models more "powerful" than others of the same soul stone cost - yes
Are some models more functional in a wider range of situation - yes 
Does this mean you "need" them to win in casual or competitive play- no

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Durza said:

Carrion Emissary and a Nurse when I was playing ressers,  I'd take them in every list. I stopped for the last few games I played but spent the entire time thinking "If I had Carrion/a Nurse i could have..." 

THAT'S what I'm talking about!  ;-)

Come on, y'all - get your confessions out!

• Like 1

I can't agree with Vorschlag's assessment enough - I think the "What is a crutch?" question should be based on the individual player and what they are comfortable with, rather than specific models the vocal minority (or majority in some cases) believe them to be. There are some podcasts I listen to where someone will say "You HAVE to take X model, because they are soooo amazing, blah blah blah." and my first reaction is usually "No I don't."

But I'm also one of those weird players that attempts to build crews based on overall aesthetics/theme, very much limiting my options in competitive play. Funny thing is, at least on the local level, I get by just fine.

Back on topic though, I do have my personal "crutches" I am ashamed (or not) to admit. First one that comes to mind is Johan whenever I run a M&SU crew. It's not even a question - he just goes in the list. Regardless of the scheme pool he will always find something to do, and he's such a bargain for what e does even with the merc tax.

Specifically with Marcus, it comes at no surprise that Myranda is an auto take. Wherein there are other beasts to can subbed in for various roles like scheme running or heavy hitting, there is literally nothing available that comes close to the utility and synergy Myranda brings to a beast list.

I'm not in anyway disparaging those who hold the belief, or in anyway saying their views don't have validity. However, that said, I personally don't believe there is any such thing as a crutch. From my personal experience, outside of internet forums, the only place I ever encounter someone claiming something is a crutch tends to be when a player gets beaten by a player using a "perceived" power model, and, generally, chalk the victory up to that model, and that the winning player couldn't have done so well without it, and so it's a "crutch". Again I'm not saying that is everyone's experience, but it is mine. 

So I don't personally feel there are crutches.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nomadicXnightmare said:

But I'm also one of those weird players that attempts to build crews based on overall aesthetics/theme, very much limiting my options in competitive play. Funny thing is, at least on the local level, I get by just fine.

This is the boat i'm in, I only play crews I feel are fluffy and/or thematic (themed-non fluff theme) and yet I'm still unbeaten in our national tournament circuit, however I believe our national scene/meta is still very "immature" or perhaps unspoiled.

I would define a "crutch model" as a model someone takes constantly regardless of which master, terrain, crew, strategy, schemes etc are on the cards.

But then I also  presently consider Zoraida my own "crutch" as she is the master I feel most comfortable with and feel I can adjust to most situations with so have had to ban myself from reaching for her in casual play as well as tournaments.... at least till wisps come out and then I can see just how broken they make her.

Tournament players going to each game in their "crutch" bodies, registering with their "crutch" identities, driving their "crutch" cars, using their "crutch" carrying cases.  It's just so darned lazy.  :angry:  Why aren't they willing to change it up?

Disclaimer:  Attempting to be competitive in the tournament scene, and get ahead of the complaint curve.  ^_^

• Like 1

I half agree with what people are saying in terms of it depending on the player.  However, there are models out there that fit the bill for both of my factions.  Neverborn and Gremlins.

Every single time I see a new player asking for advice on what to buy, Doppelganger is always suggested.  Multiple times.  With good reason, of course, but that just helps drive that model as a crutch for the faction.  Same thing with Primordial Magic.  For me, PM is different, in that it's only auto include for my Lilith games, and I'm leaning towards Titania.  With Pandora I still prefer her own totem.  But again, I'm a minority on that.  People always get that look when I mention that.  The look that says "Dude, why wouldn't you bring primordial magic with Pandora?"  That look is the evidence that it's a crutch model.  When someone thinks you're weird for not using it.

In Gremlins, you've got Trixiebelle for sure.  Again, for good reason.  We've also got Old Cranky, who is suggested for most masters over their normal totem.  Lenny to a lesser extent. 

New players ask for advice for X faction, get the suggestion to use Y model, then they throw it into every crew they use, and now it's a crutch for them.  So the power of suggestion to new players for sure plays a role when determining what can be considered a crutch for a faction.

• Like 1

For Neverborn, Waldgeists and Illuminated, tho I don't usually use Illuminated.

Every time I'm making a list it feels like I'm putting myself at a disadvantage by not picking at least one Waldgeist.

For Ressers, Nurses and Belles. They are just too good, and there is hardly a better pick for 5ss.

idk I think there's a difference between taking a model just because it's good (or common wisdom holds that it's good) and taking a model because it will score you points

to use your pigapult example, if you see that Occupy Their Turf is in the scheme pool, you can take three bayou gremlins and a pigapult and very very obviously score 3 points as a result of that choice

at least to me it feels like when people talk about "crutches" they're talking about an option people use often that is so powerful or that mitigates a specific disadvantage so well that it prevents them from improving as a player, and I think that's a real phenomenon, although it often only comes up when you are for some reason denied that "crutch" (e.g. a person who mostly uses Austringers in Guild switching to Outcasts or Gremlins and finds shooting much harder because they now have to worry about cover and LoS)

but imo if you can draw a line of causation between using that "crutch" model and scoring points then it's not a problem. it hasn't prevented you from becoming a better player because scoring points is the measure of how good you are as a player.

14 hours ago, Durza said:

Carrion Emissary and a Nurse when I was playing ressers,  I'd take them in every list. I stopped for the last few games I played but spent the entire time thinking "If I had Carrion/a Nurse i could have..." 

For funsies, take two Nurses and a Carrion with the generic Conflux. :+fate on the attack flip makes them rude, and the fact that they can chain into each other....

Without delving into "crutchiness", I generally take a Katanaka Sniper in my crews unless I think the board is just totally unfavorable to him (almost no likelihood that he can draw LOS to deployed models without standing in a double Walk engagement range, overabundance of Hard Cover and Blocking terrain, etc). I'm not sure I have many others that I slam in a list regardless of synergy or strategy/schemes.

I've noticed the Guild players in my area overwhelmingly prefer Francisco and Austringer in practically any list, and the Arcanist player plays Hank a lot, with a side order of Joss at times. He's also fond of Sabertooth with Imbued. The Gremlin player...I haven't seen a huge amount of "must play" besides maybe Slop Hauler, and I think that particular model is enough of a general use and cheap enough that I couldn't count it as crutching.

1 hour ago, Myyrä said:

I disagree. The ultimate goal is to win the game. Trying to maximize the number of points scored often does not support that goal in the most optimal way.

I agree. I phrased it poorly. Scoring more points than your opponent is the measure of being a good player. Scoring points is a very strongly correlated means to that end though.

I kind of despise the crutch tag myself.  More often then not its just a shaming tool when people don't want to see something anymore.  If I'm continually beaten by the same piece, I'm not really doing a very good job of incentivizing my opponent to do something different.  I prefer to see it as a challenge to beat the crutch out of them. 

I have a large pile of models out for someone else to paint (don't judge me), including many models I often referred to as my "crutches". But since I've been forced to play without them for many games I've adapted and hope that when I get them back they do not become so again. Not to say I don't miss them often. (come back to me Mech Rider, you are still loved)

• Like 1

I definitely fall on the side that there are crutch models. Malifaux has done a pretty good job of balancing and making the Strats/Schemes varied, but there are still models that you will consistently see in every crew as they are possibly slightly too good. Things like Francisco, Austringers, Belles, Nurses, the Emissaries now, Killjoy, Mechanical Rider, etc. I think Shield-bearers will soon be seen in many Resurr crews as well. :lol: 

You can win without these crutch models, but you will see them far more often than some other models. This is partly due to people getting into routines as well and not trying new things. Or trying something new once and not having a good experience so going back to the same old thing. I know I've done this. That's why I started branching out from Nicodem as I was getting bored. I almost always took the same things because it worked. I've enjoyed branching out to Yan Lo, McMourning, and now Reva. Forced me to try some other models I might not have otherwise.

I don't think its a huge problem though - no crutch model is game breaking (so far). I personally just get bored facing the same things over and over again.