Hamstah_Fwend

List Advice: Seamus (Divergent Paths)

So I went away from the game for a year or so (playing starter-only 35ss games at the time) and now I'm back for Divergent Paths, with a few new models added to my collection. Here's the Seamus list I'm currently running.

I've been told I should up the damage potential (The Hanged?) though for some reason I feel like getting better objective-grabbers i.e. Necropunks or Crooligans, maybe a Dead Doxy to compliment a Belle. My current collection's literally just the Redchapel box, Bete Noire and two dogs but I may or may not be able to acquire more before the event ends. Suggestions?

Seamus list.JPG

Well, the strategies for Divergent Paths will change every two weeks, and each scenario is different enough you will want to tailor your crew. Since you literally only own these models, this is your starting point and you can fine tune from there, but the advice will have to be based on the current available strategies and those that come out as they do.

If you play for the Trickster (which would hopefully be your choice since we're in the "lead" for it right now), this is a fair crew. The dogs can dig up additional corpses on 8 crows so you can score VP on the strategy, and Bete Noire has the ability to pop out of living and undead things dying, including your own crew, to pick up corpses during battle. Seamus and Bete will essentially run crowd control on the enemy team, preventing them from easily grabbing corpse markers. Your belles will be a combination of set up manipulation/healing for Seamus and running your markers, as they will have the greatest mobility options between Wk 6 from Sybelle and call belle.

For the Self Righteous Man, it'll be tough because you can't summon efficient scheme runners with Seamus and you have no way to mitigate the damage dealt to your own models. I'd consider getting the McM box for nurses if you're really concerned about playing this strategy. It's a tough one overall for Ressers, even if Seamus has a huge advantage in 35 SS with his ability to consistently kill a model a turn.

For the inquisitive child, your fabric markers go on Seamus, Sybelle, and Bete. Not bad, since Bete can guarantee she keeps the markers most of the time with a 10 in hand, Seamus is very difficult to take down in 35 SS games, and Sybelle will by and large be outside of danger. 

I'd consider building a better collection for general play rather than for Divergent Paths. This period the trickster strategy really favors Ressers, but the periods that come may not. Plus, if you're just getting back into the game, these strategies can greatly skew your re-acclimation to the game. With that, Yin is always a recommended model, particularly for Seamus since he loves models that can effect Wp duels. There's also the Carrion Emissary, which has received a large buff for Seamus' purposes in My Little Helper--the upgrade is only available in Book 4 page printing or if you buy the Wave 2 Generalist upgrade deck. Carrion Emissary and Yin are out now.

Hope that helps. 

That...helps a ton, whoa. I was just thinking about "what to buy next" but here's some detailed scenario and piloting tips. Thanks a ton!

Rules question: Are the "NPC" markers (i.e. the trickster, kid, etc.) affected by the Belles' Lure and similar movement shenanigans?

4 hours ago, Hamstah_Fwend said:

Rules question: Are the "NPC" markers (i.e. the trickster, kid, etc.) affected by the Belles' Lure and similar movement shenanigans?

No, they are not. They are considered markers, not models and thus cannot be moved by abilities that move models. 

Your idea of getting some models for scheme running is a good one for the future. In my opinion every rezzer player should get a box of Necropunks, the earlier the better. They are just great and really flexible. 

10 minutes ago, Greebo said:

No, they are not. They are considered markers, not models and thus cannot be moved by abilities that move models. 

Your idea of getting some models for scheme running is a good one for the future. In my opinion every rezzer player should get a box of Necropunks, the earlier the better. They are just great and really flexible. 

Yep, I learned pretty  early on that between Seamus, Madame and the Copycat I've all the stopping power I need...now multiplied with Corpse Bloat and dogs for easy Back Alley getaways.

My priority buys are Crooligans and Necropunks so I've got a good scheme-running utility belt, before I start considering how to further specialize the list.

I wouldn't buy Crooligans in blister form. I'd buy the Molly box because you get Molly, who will want all of Seamus' box models other than Seamus and CCK, and you'll get Philip & the Nanny, who's currently exclusive to the Molly box. If you find you absolutely hate Philip, you can sell him and probably recoup most of the cost of your box. I wouldn't, though, because he can be a powerful control piece and is difficult to get back without buying another Molly crew box.

Necropunks are good scheme runners. But, I often rely on Seamus to score 6VP on my schemes because he's incredibly mobile and often only needs 1 AP to attack with his once per turn .50 flintlock. You're running Sin Rep, so he can attack more than once a turn at range, but Seamus can also use an AP to drop a marker for Leave Your Mark and effectively ensure you score Undercover Entourage by back alley-ing Turn 5 to the enemy deployment zone, out of reach and with most of his wounds. 

You need a little more staying power--Sybelle is an average fighter amongst henchmen, and CCK shouldn't be considered reliable killing power--4 min damage is great, but it's Sh 4 vs. Df, which has an average value 5 across all factions. Yin, Carrion Emissary, etc. are good for that. You basically have Seamus and Bete, one of which is really easy to hit and the other situationally hard to kill.

Make sure you want to keep playing Seamus. I saw your Tara bomb thread, and it doesn't look like you're necessarily committed to Seamus yet. Considering Tara and Seamus will generally hire very different models, you may not want to go buying models for him unless you're sure you're going to get the use you want from them, or you're fine with playing Tara with proxies just to mess around or vice/versa. Malifaux is considered cheap to get into, but gets expensive fast if you expand quickly.

Lastly, since you're not as familiar with the game, coming back to it, I recommend working on the player skill upgrade first--not to be offensive, but player skill generally overrides model choices. Iron out what you want for in playing with what you have, so your model choices are more fine tuned. I was showing one of my local players tricks with Seamus, and when we played, I hired the crew I would normally run, he hired his crew of Seamus box plus dead doxies and Bete Noire, and then we switched crews for when we played before switching back to the crews we originally hired--so two games, with us playing each others' crews. I won both games, the first because I knew what my more basic models needed to do for me, and the second because I had better models to support what I needed to do.

• Like 1

I agree about getting to know the crew. When i first started playing i bought the zoraida box. Got beat pretty bad not understanding what i needed or how stuff works best for you and schemes. I expanded crews very fast, i have still yet to play 2 of them. I currently have 9 and after playing more, understanding more models in the game and how to play i went back to zoraida and loved it. Just keep working with what you have and slowly expand that crew till you have a good understanding and a few options for diff games. I also read into a lot of other crews so i knew what things did. Knowing how your opponents models work is just as importent as knowing how yours work. 

Yep, I'm definitely planning to commit to (re)learning some good ole fundamentals. That's why I'm looking more into some scheme runners I can seemingly fit into any Resser list in the near future, for the first models I'm adding to the collection.

Good call on that Molly box, even if I don't plan to play the master (trying to avoid summoners 'coz of all the extra models needed) I've someone I can split the box with. Yin and the Emissary...not the first time they've been recommended, hmm.

The Tara list's more a side project than anything, heh. I like me some big fat threats on the board and she's just a future project for a change of pace from Seamus' gameplay.

Can't thank everyone enough for the advice!

I tend to find, as a general rule, and especially if you are using both Sybelle and the Emissary, that Seamus doesn't need specific Scheme runners. Your Rotten Belles and Dead Doxies will serve just fine. Doxies especially if you can find a way around needing the extra 7 value card to ensure the Take the Lead goes off. In regards to using the emissary in this line, while I do tend to prefer the Conflux of Infamy with him, I do tend to switch to Carrion conflux when I run Doxies at the start, as the positive flip the Emissary can give the Doxies make getting Take the Lead off without draining a card from my hand much more likely. Additionally, speed wise, Doxies and Belles are walk 6 if they activate within range of Sybelle or the Emissary, and walk 7 if the activate in range of both. Add that to their other abilities and while they might not be the BEST at scheme running, they can do the job well, and provide serious material support to the rest of the crew as well.

My recommendation for order of models to buy would be as such:

If you have any interest in ever playing McMorning, I'd get his box, if you have no interest get the Nurse box, or at least one nurse absolutely first. I rarely ever run a Seamus crew without at least one Nurse in it.

After that Doxies, Yin, Jaakuna Ubume and the Emissary would be my models of choice for purchasing. Possibly Anna as well.

If you specifically want a dedicated scheme runner, I think the best the Ressers have is the Necro-Punk. I don't tend to like Crooligans very much with Seamus, though they have some serious synergy with Reva.

11 minutes ago, Hamstah_Fwend said:

Another question for future listbuilding: Is it practical to hire no belles in the list itself because Seamus can summon them in-game anyway?

I would try to start at least with one, because if you wait to summon them, you may be able to do it when it is too late. You need them from the start to lure his models ayay from the team. As you need a corpse to make them, you will be spending many resourses in producing them before its too late

With Seamus specifically, my general advice is to start with the amount of Rotten Belles or Doxies that are critical to your plan. While you can summon them, in practice, that might not happen all that often. His summon is a 0 so you only get to try it once a turn, and often you will need to use the 0 action on Red Chapel Killer to actually move to a more advantageous condition. Some games I seem to pop out a belle a turn, and some games in a streak I won't get even one belle out, in a multi game streak. Seamus is also absolutely reliant on having WP duels that he can win close to him to survive. While you have a pretty good chance with ca 6 from other models, I find I absolutely need the high cast on lure to actually get the healing I'm counting on when I need it.

I'm not saying the way I play him is the only way, but I'd make sure if you are counting on anything from Belles or Doxies bring the required amount at the start of the game.