Rate Crews in Tier 2.0

TeddyBear

Since tier list for each player is different, based on their own experience and meta at their LGS, at first I should describe my local player base and tournaments so rest of users of Wyrd forums will have a better perspective. Most of players in my region are Neverborn (approximately about 1/3 of player base) and due to their large number first places at tournaments are scored by them. Most common tournament type is 50ss fixed faction, although about one tournament per month is fixed master. Most popular masters are, in terms of factions:

Guild- McCabe, Sonnia,

Ressurectionis- Seamus, Nicodem,

Arcanists- Sandeep, Rasputina,

Neverborn- Pandora, Collodi,

Outcasts- Leveticus, Victorias,

Gremlins- Som'er, Ulix, 

Ten Thunders- Shenlong, McCabe

As you can see, most of popular masters are very aggressive with many ways to deal damage or buff offensive capabilities of their models. In about 8 out of each 10 games I play as Hamelin (as blight Hamelin or other builds), rest- mostly as Levi and sometimes as Tara.

So my tier list is:

Tier 1 (masters that have advantage over others in almost any situation and can do well in almost any scheme pool):  Leveticus, Kirai, Sandeep

Tier 2 (masters that have advantage in many scheme pools, sometimes even bigger than Tier 1 masters, but are vunerable to counters): Som'er, Hamelin, Dreamer, McCabe, Marcus, Sonnia, Reva, Shenlong, Kaeris

Tier 3 (masters with slight advantage over others in certain scheme pools, vulnerable to counters or without many ways to deal with certain threats): Perdita, Ulix, Wong, Ophelia, colette, Nellie, Zipp, Mc Mourning, Molly, Lilith, Pandora, Lynch Collodi, Misaki, Nicodem, Rasputina, Jack Daw

Tier 4 (masters without special advantages over others and with some disadvantages): Lady Justice, Hoffman, Seamus, Yan Lo, Von Schill, Tara, Ramos, Mei Feng, 

Tier 5(Masters that are significantly weaker than other masters in almost any scheme pool): Lucius, Ironsides, Zoraida, Mah tucket, Brewmaster.

On 28/02/2017 at 5:14 PM, Tris said:

So, one big question I forgot to ask - what`s the defining factor of a top tier master for you? What makes a master good or bad?

I think that`s the fundamental question to understand personal tier lists, and I forgot to ask that completely until now^^

I think the tier list is sort of doing 2 things.

Firstly  the higher up the tier you are, the more likely you are able to answer the questions set to you and your crew during a game. 

Secondly, All other things being equal (player skill, Luck, the board you are playing on, the set game you have) , the higher tier master is more likely to win. 

The second point is probably abstract only, I can't really see a time when you could prove it because I don't think you could ever create a game where the two masters were in equal situations.

So there can exist circumstances where a lower tier master is a better choice for a game than a higher tier master (assuming equal competence with them which is often one of the biggest problems, most people know the higher tier masters more because they use them more, so even in the case where the lower master would theoretically be better, the more comfortable master would probably do better as you know what to do), but those games would be less common the bigger the gap between tiers. 

I think we will only know real answers to this when there is enough data going through logfaux.com

There is a nice list of masters win-ratios that gives you an idea of how well they are doing that would form a nice basis for the tiers. It would be interesting to expand this and see what strats and schemes the masters are doing better at, based on being played.

You could also tie this in with the list showing how often masters are being played (suggesting that they are either more enjoyable, easier or appear better).

• 2 weeks later...

One of the interesting things about logfaux is that it doesn't account well for things like Guild McMourning.  

McMourning leads Guild in terms of win % and he solidly surpasses Resser Doug.  I don't think it's because he is obviously superior to him in Ressers, nor do I think he is necessarily stronger than Masters like Dita or Sonnia.  Rather it's that his box is far more useful to Resser players and thus the only people who play him in Guild already have substantial Guild investment, and usually experience.  As a result there are fewer new players playing Guild McMourning.  Or at least that's my theory.  Guild Doug may just be an absolute boss and I need to play him more!

• Like 3