Horror Molly for starters

Butch

I'm new to Malifaux and have played no games so far. But I'm already happy in building and painting my crew. ^_^

I will be playing casual games with a freind, so no WAAC lists needed. My focus is on learning the game and learning Molly and her synergies (or some of them).

I already have: Molly, Philip and the Nanny, Crooligans, Necrotic Machine, Punk Zmobies and Rotten Belles

My goal is to have a crew for 50 SS games. My question now is what to buy next.

I like the models of the Dead Rider and Yin. So maybe the Rider and some Drowned?

What would you recomment?

Madame Sybelle is an almost auto take with Molly.  Call Belle is the main ability that you will use, and it can really help to reposition Molly. Often I'll take maniacal laugh on Molly just to get some activation control. Once you can out activate the opponent, Call Belle on Molly to reposition her close enough to the enemy that she can summon Punk Zombies right into the middle of them, then have the Punk Zombies slice and dice or flurry. It might take two rounds or so to set up properly, but boy is it worth it. 

Alternatively, you can use Sybelle to get Molly out of trouble. 

I also really like the Carrion Emissary. Shards can help to block fire and charge lanes. He hits quite hard, and is just great utility. I generally run him with the generic upgrade, Carrion Conflux.

I also like the Rogue Necromancy as Bengt recommended, nice ranged support, and the :+fate while it has enough heads is gravy.

• Like 2

From my little experience with playing Molly;

Dead Doxies are great for pulling and pushing your slower models around into position; Drowned, Punk Zombies...

Speaking of Punk Zombies, summoning them in the enemies face then using Molly's (0) Action on the Forgotten Life upgrade to make it attack with a (1) action - then Chain Activate said punk for another (1) melee!

Drowned are great tarpits for holding objectives and as both Horrors and Spirits they are useful for either variant of Molly crew. I also really like the models as well!

• Like 2

I'd hold off on buying the drowned models. Get their stat cards so you know what their cost is (or print out the summoning shortcut card on this forum) and so you can show they have finish the job. I don't think I've ever summoned drowned so they can fight. Their lvl 2 resilience to melee doesn't mean a whole lot if they summon in with only 1-2 Wds. I summon them exclusively for scheme markers--you summon one within 6", it immediately dies, and then you drop a scheme marker essentially within 7" to score your schemes. I  purchased drowned models in case I need them to prove I own a model for tournament play, but I wouldn't hire them and I haven't encountered a situation where summoning them not to die was better than summoning a punk zombie, doxy, or rotten belle.

For the punk zombies and belles, did you buy them in plastic blisters or do you have Nico and Seamus' boxes? Sybelle comes in Seamus' box and is great for driving Molly around and she has useful triggers on melee in addition to a decent ranged attack. Mortimer can also be good fun because you'll be able to reach 50SS easily and he offers neat movement tricks--not optimal play, but fun and will sometimes be great for you.

I posted a thread about the combo, but in short you have a dead doxy drop a scheme marker, push into Philip, pushing him somewhere useful so he's within 6" of the original scheme marker the doxy dropped and the doxy's current position, and then you have doxy drop a second marker because her push is a 0 requiring a 7 of any suit. Philip activates next and eats both markers to draw you 4 cards, discarding your 2 least useful. That's two activations that didn't really put you in danger and has now buffed your hand and/or filtered your deck. Mortimer makes up for the lost AP in movement by casting fresh meat against one of your undead models up the field--likely a crooligan since it'll have from the shadows and comes with Molly's box, and all your undead people, i.e. everyone except Mortimer himself, pushes up to their Wk towards the crooligan--Philip can actually push 8 because of Pram, so he can get some real distance. You lose 6AP in card draw set up and a 7, but you have a good chance of improving your hand in the process and can make up for that loss in AP by using Fresh Meat twice--if you start the game with Molly, Sybelle, Philip, Mortimer, Doxy, crooligan and at least 2 other undead models, you create 6AP of movement essentially. Pretty easy to get two more undead models with the previously listed models, including upgrades, since it's only 36SS between the models and 1SS for Molly's Forgotten Life upgrade. 

I'd pick up the generic upgrades for Ressers, dead doxies, a used Sybelle and/or Mortimer with their cards and specific upgrades, and cards for drowned before calling it a day. You're not looking for being extremely competitive, so punk-a-palooza summoning isn't a bad thing, plus they're generically good fighters. You'll also have neat movement tricks and some fighting capability between punks, Molly's non-summoning actions, and Sybelle. Expand as you like from there into horrors or switch gears and go spirits when you're ready to delve deeper.

• Like 3

I suggest the doxies first, then the RN, and finally the drowned. You'll want the Philip combo first to help speed up your games to normal casual levels and then you'll want an enforcer that works pretty well with Molly in addition to being a better than average fighter. Again, I don't think you'll often summon drowned for fighting, so they can be pretty low on the purchase list as you'll primarily summon them for scheme markers.

• Like 1

Agreed, Finish The Job is great in and of itself, and 80-90% of the time when you summon them it's literally just for them to die for scheme markers. 

But on occasion, their melee-bulletproof ability and 6/6 stats make them the right choice for summoning into enemies too. If there's a big blob of enemies you wish to tie up, not necessarily kill, then what is better or cheaper than Drowned? 

Those triggers on their melee attacks are exceptional at disarming your opponent, as well, it's just a pity they require crows.

• Like 1