Reva wrecking face?

Paddywhack

On 28.4.2017 at 9:15 PM, Sharp_GT said:

Reva looks 'o.p.' compared to masters like seamus, lynch, or any gremlin, yes, but the top level masters still go toe to toe no problem.

Is this trying to imply Gremlins are in fact underpowered?

I read all the new Neverborn and Guild posts, (that's what I play) so I decided to take a look over at some other faction boards and found this topic. I have only had one game vs Reva so far and thought I would add my two cents. It was playing against one of the best local guys at the store I play at, wins if not places at all the tournaments he plays at there. This is from memory from last month or so, so I might remember a few things wrong. He brought the emmisary, Vincent, 2-3 shield-bearers, dead Doxie and rotten belle. I took Collodi  - Fated - Threads of Fate- Strum the Threads, Primordial Magic, Vasilisa- A Friends To Talk To, Teddy - A Thousand Faces, Coryphee, Performer, Carrion Effigy, Mannequin. I lost 6-3. The game was 

Deployment: Close

Strategy: Head Hunter

Schemes: Claim jump, Dig their graves, Leave your mark, Hunting party, Hidden trap.

I knew about her reach from Corpse markers so giving most of my crew the 0 from the effigy to eat them to heal shut that down fairly well. I was able to kill the mindless zombies and corpse candles easy and eat their markers too. Reva was not able to do the crazy kill everything I read in this thread because of it. Fated Collodi with the Carion effigy is my go to vs rezzer and it shut her tricks down fairly well. I would have no problem facing her again I don't think she is OP. That was my experience on my one game vs her.

• Like 1

On 2017-05-05 at 11:10 PM, Corwin said:

I read all the new Neverborn and Guild posts, (that's what I play) so I decided to take a look over at some other faction boards and found this topic. I have only had one game vs Reva so far and thought I would add my two cents. It was playing against one of the best local guys at the store I play at, wins if not places at all the tournaments he plays at there. This is from memory from last month or so, so I might remember a few things wrong. He brought the emmisary, Vincent, 2-3 shield-bearers, dead Doxie and rotten belle. I took Collodi  - Fated - Threads of Fate- Strum the Threads, Primordial Magic, Vasilisa- A Friends To Talk To, Teddy - A Thousand Faces, Coryphee, Performer, Carrion Effigy, Mannequin. I lost 6-3. The game was 

Deployment: Close

Strategy: Head Hunter

Schemes: Claim jump, Dig their graves, Leave your mark, Hunting party, Hidden trap.

I knew about her reach from Corpse markers so giving most of my crew the 0 from the effigy to eat them to heal shut that down fairly well. I was able to kill the mindless zombies and corpse candles easy and eat their markers too. Reva was not able to do the crazy kill everything I read in this thread because of it. Fated Collodi with the Carion effigy is my go to vs rezzer and it shut her tricks down fairly well. I would have no problem facing her again I don't think she is OP. That was my experience on my one game vs her.

If you spent the entire game killing her summoned models and lost by that margin despite counter-building it sounds like she did fairly well. :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ludvig said:

If you spent the entire game killing her summoned models and lost by that margin despite counter-building it sounds like she did fairly well. :) 

For playing against one of the local top dogs who plays a crew that many claim to be borderline OP, I think that score isn't bad.

Especially seen as it was his first game against her. It's not unusual to lose games against a master you have never played against, never mind the the really strong ones.

• Like 2

@Mutter truetrue. The first couple of games usually have you miss something crucial.

I'm not sure trying to kill chaff summons is an efficient use of ap but I haven't faced her enough to be sure. When I faced her I put scary stuff right in her face and got the strat and sheme points while she smacked my crew around. One game was only saved because my mate made the huge mistake of bringing bete with that mark and kill scheme, letting me score three times fairly easily.

Normally, I'd agree about killing the chaff, but Revas candles & zombies are slightly different, because they are basically walking corpse markers. If you kill them, you can then hoover them up with the carrion effigy, which you wouldn't be able to do if they were still walking.

But since some people think the Ml version of Revy is stronger anyway, ymmv on that strategy ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nukemouse said:

Could you please explain this to me? I very much like Yin.

Yin's 0 action gives a model [-] on wp and ca duels until she activates again. So you tag a model with that effect then Reva will get two activations to melt that model while they're on a [-] to defend itself. You can double this by popping 'my little helper' on yin to debuff two different models, now Reva can take those two activations as she need to take them both out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just won another game with Reva. I think I have 10-12 games with her under my belt now. I've won all but two which were ties against Asami. The last game I played was against a Zoraida with a McTavish, couple of sillurids, Iggy and a dop. won 9-5 but he was not really prepared for Reva, which I have found is what happens a lot. If you aren't ready for her, she can throw you so off your game that she just snowballs. His two silurids were dead on turn one because he activated them too early. He spent most of the game hiding his crew in the forest, hemming my stuff and slowly burning it down, and it worked pretty well against those models, but Reva didn't care about McTavish's aura and was still wrecking his stuff in the backfield, just slowly moving up with her (0) action. 

At the end of the game I only had Reva and Bete Noir left on the table, but he only had Zoraida left. (I was actually surprised Bete lived, but I also brought Archie a hanged and Yin) Archie, by the way, I love. I don't think he's ever survived a game Ihave brought him with, but for Reva he just does a lot of work. Aside from being able to throw corpse counters, he's such a huge damage threat, that people HAVE to divert attention to him, which means they are spending less time trying to get at Reva or my hanged or Vincent if I take him or whoever. 

He did also take Eliminate the Leadership, and got Reva down to one wound, but she ended the match at 5 or 6 wounds up thanks to her triggers and front of card ability. 

I don't think she's unbeatable, but you definitely have to KNOW how to beat her and I think that for people who have not played against her and sit down across from her, it's going to seem like there's nothing that you can do against her. McTavish was eating a corpse marker every turn and I still had enough corpses to do Look on My Works with 1-2 corpse markers on a couple of turns and still have plenty to attack anything I needed. My opponent never got a model on my half of the table, which is something I find to happen quite a bit with Reva as I have played her. 

My local Reva was not thrilled with Bete Noire. He was testing it in a game against me instead of his usual Arcanist opponent (which Arcanist is 0 for 10 at least on actually defeating her and he is a far better player than I am), sidelining Yin for a game. He believes Reva has enough of a discard tax on creating the corpse candle and reserving the 10+ as well left him with too small a hand--even allowing for the fact that Howard Langston will not usually top-deck high rams the way he was that game. And he certainly has the experience with facing Howard Langston to support that assertion.

Nurse + Chiaki is nefarious. I got that Carrion Emissary down to HtK only to see it healed back to full twice before finally landing an execute he wasn't willing to discard to stop. They do have the weakness of being living and having terrifying (living) models being shoved in their face, but to be fair, Vincent + shieldbearers have the same weakness.

Brutal Emissary's gun did a lovely job of clearing out multiple corpse candles on a single AP after being launched into the midst of things, and then the peacekeeper and emissary stood on the few remaining corpses, which constrained Reva a great deal. And so her only local defeat came at the hands of Hoffman, of all people. I still can't believe it.

Local Reva player used Bete in Stake a Claim game recently. She popped out of a forward corpse candle for turn 1 Claim marker which set him for a good lead on the strategy (by the end I scored 0 he scored 2 from Stake). Will need more testing obviously but seemed like a valid use for her.

Ive used Bete in a few games with her. Sometimes she dies, sometimes she doesn't. It's about knowing when to pop her out. Turn one I didn't mind holding the ten. Sometimes I don't mind if she dies. 

A lot of times I'll pop her out just to have her go snatch up an objective, where even if she dies, I'm getting points. She's a distraction if I hold the 10 or a scalpel if I don't. 

When an Archie or hanged is bearing down, sometimes Bete is just not a priority target, even if she's right in their face.

I have yet to use the Emissary with her though. I'm not usually sure who to take out, really.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Local Reva player used Bete in Stake a Claim game recently. She popped out of a forward corpse candle for turn 1 Claim marker which set him for a good lead on the strategy (by the end I scored 0 he scored 2 from Stake). Will need more testing obviously but seemed like a valid use for her.

She is very valid.  Perfect in stake a claim where you can put a claim marker in the opponents backfield turn 1 thanks to Guises of Death corpse candle and the opponent is on the back foot right away. I use it all the time. Poping Bette out from corpse candles is amazing in a lot of different scheme-situations. Denying markers for leave your mark and claim jump for example.

You need to keep that 10+ for her though but since she has +flip on attack it evens out a bit.

Reva is a quite card intensive master. You want the high cards for her attacks and some moderate cards for her teleport-0 and a low card to summon a corpse candle. Therefor You want a crew that has high ca/ma or +flip and preferably high wp so you dont need to waste cards on wp-duels. Yin is nice in theory since you then dont need to use that many high cards on revas attacks.

Set-up, Mark for Death is horrible schemes for her though so avoid these. In setups case try to figure out if they have it and then deny it by not letting bette be near scheme-markers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Da Git said:

On a similar note to Bete, has anyone tried Killjoy with Reva?

Yes, works quite well since you can with Guises of death deploy a Corpse Candle very far back (not within 8" on enemy models of course) the Candle will at an appropriate timme walk up, kill itself and let Killjoy out where you want him. 

Problem with Killjoy as I see it is that both he and Reva has so great attacks so they both compete for the high-cards in your control hand to get the most value out of the models.

Since he is so expensive you will probably on have 7-8 members in your crew (most likely 7) you will get 1 extra activation from the Guise corpse candle and 1 extra activation from Reva summoned corpse candle before killjoy pops out. So if you start the round its very unlikely that you have out-activated the opponent before Killjoy appears. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Malifaux since 1.0 and now was first game w Reva. Had Vinnie, 2 Shieldbearers, Emissary, Nurse, Belle and Necropunk. 

I played badly so that definitely helped my opponent (at work you get kinda distracted) so I lost because we played well w Marcus. Pushed up and killed and Claimed. With my Resser experience I can see that she is very strong but not the greatest (Molly ftw) and not unkillable by any means. Push up and put pressure and make her "waste AP" killing things so she can't contribute to S&S. Will test her more because kinda liking what I see, but she's in no way OP. 

Oh and a shoutout to all who compare her to Hamelin in 1.0: you guys really don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone but she's nowhere near that amount of OP.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Reva: Champion of the Bronies, Master of casual level meta change.

I've noticed since Book 4 some of my opponents have started defining flat elevated terrains, roofs usually, as impassable. Slightly less often but somewhat more odd is defining many building interiors as impassable. I suspect the reason is LoS shenanigans, probably internally thought of as abuse. I usually primarily Seamus, Kirai, Raspy, Sandeep, or Reva, most of whom require tight rules usage for LoS, especially vantage point.

Reva is on the more extreme end of needing precise usage of LoS rules, and depending on your view, could require more common rules consultation than even Seamus, given how LoS is determined. I don't think Reva's rules are as bad as Raspy, just more obvious because if someone casually plays a bunch of fences and small ruins on a map, then abandon hope, all ye who enter.

It might be earlier in this thread or in another similarly themed one, but terrain will really affect Reva. If you have only Ht 2 or less terrain, Reva can be Eye of Sauron + Death Star. If you have all Ht 3+ terrain, you'll play a game of hide and seek or Reva can start abusing vantage point rules. 

Varying terrain design will mitigate a large part of Reva's map control/force projection, depending which terminology you use. It's particularly significant here because Reva presents an anomaly in Malifaux--she's utilizes an efficient, easy to grasp long range mechanic in a faction where all the other options tend to be melee oriented. Her often compared to peers come from factions that generally utilize range, so it's not as surprising. At the casual level, this is likely a more devastating effect than at the competitive level, especially if the terrain isn't varied enough to prevent the Eye of Sauron + Death Star effect.

I would note that despite the chatter in this thread and some others, Reva hasn't made a visibly large splash in the competitive scene.