My search for the Master for me.

Anung Un Rama

Righto- I love Malifaux been playing for a couple of months only and I have spent so much money im amazed! :)

I have almost the entire Resser faction , Ramos, Colette and Marcus, Shenlong, Pandora, Perdita, Lady Justice,  Ulix and Somer.

My first master was Nicodem and I love him. His story, the model and the whole necromancer thing. problem is that I am crap at playing him even though I enjoy it. I think I fall into the summoning trap with him and not really knowing what is best to start on the field with him and then best summons. Last night I had crap  hand which meant my summoning was pretty thin and  Nico ended up being red joker/dumb lucked by Rami and squished. Now whilst I own all of them except Tara the other matsers don't appeal to me I don't know why. Seamus looks cool but I am more of a reactive player. (euphemism for tactically challenged) I need a master who is straight forward and not a ton of decisions need to be made with them. Out of all the masters I own I have only used Nicodem, Yan Lo, Perdita and Ulix. I enjoyed them all but I felt like I was a bit lost at times.

So whats my point? I prefer to react to an enemy and I like to have really tanky guys that can hit hard when needed. I played dwarfs in any system where they existed, I love the aesthetic of the dour, grim tanks.

Now rather than spend too much money and release the Ikyro that is my wife (already released once when the credit card statement hit, wasn't pretty) I would like some guidance on what masters to avoid given my preferences and what masters may be good for me.

• Like 1

You're not alone. My former Resser opponent was happier after changing to mercenary-Outcast since they were simpler to play.

Put Shenlong far, far away. Maybe even sell him. He's complicated. Even to me who loves the complex play style as much as you don't love it.

Maybe play Ramos for awhile. He'll put up positive flip auras like Nicodem, but relieve you of having to choose what summon to make, and his constructs are armored and hit very hard indeed.

Perdita and Lady Justice are two of the three straightforward Guild masters. Chop, or shoot.

• Like 1

If you look for dwarfs in Malifaux, as said before Von Schill can be your choice. Also you may look at Lady J or Perdita for straightforward masters.

Also you can try to switch your current models for other boxes (try to make a deal on this forum or facebook group). So you won't release Ikyro

Thank for the replies guys...

@Gnomezilla Maybe I will trade the Shenlong crew away, i really love the ten thunders aesthetigue though...perhaps Mei Feng would be more straight forward a master for them?

@Ludvig Ulix is one i really enjoy and will play loads of but the local meta is quite gremlin heavy at the moment and he will be my just for fun master

@Jafar Im thinking Lady J could be a go as well as Perdita. I think you may be right about trading. Perhaps I could trade some of my crews for more suitable ones!

I must have missed something. Perdita is also really straightforward. Point at something and it dies. She also plays really well with her crew and a death marshal so you wouldn't need to add much. Adding austringers and the brutal effigy and you would probably be set for life with her.

If you're looking for a tank-like experience, can I suggest Hoffman? 

He isn't the simplest Master at first glance, but put a couple of games together with him and you'll soon start to appreciate just how tough it can be to destroy the clanking wall of big stompy robots in front of him! He also makes those very same constructs hit that bit harder, particularly with the new Debt to the Guild upgrade.

If you want to talk specifics, by all means drop me a PM and we can talk properly there. The Hoff is one of my favourites, right up there with my dearly beloved Lady Justice but for completely different reasons.

• Like 1

Still inclined to give Shenlong the edge there: less of a positioning game, but being able to turn on and off the "negatives are positives, positives are negatives, sucks to be you, hard-to-wound folks" power is worth a lot in the calculation of just how complicated a playstyle can get. For the Shenlong player, at any rate. The recipient can just realize that nearly every damage flip against his crew will be cheatable. :(

Discussion of Hoffman reminds me, though: mobile toolkit, get it, learn it, love it. Indispensable addition to Ramos' constructs (and another model which Hoffman can use), but given you already own Colette the equally complicated, if you do feel the urge to try a friendly-obey play style with Ramos' heavy hitters, try that out with her first.

Do you know whether you prefer the idea of a master which synergizes and supports its crew, or one which works alone? Seamus working alone can be very straightforward: teleport, focus, blast something into the middle of next week, raise its corpse as a rotten belle, mix'n'match the order as long as "focus" happens before "shoot".

I haven't tried or fought Mei Feng. McCabe I find simple and versatile, but I like complexity as a baseline and saving a 4 or better tome and a 6 or better ram in hand every turn for McCabe's use (to share two upgrades a turn instead of one, and to give a minion reactivate BEFORE sharing those upgrades) came easily to me. That's all of his crew support in 1AP, leaving two to run and gun, or tank and spank.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Morgy said:

Thank for the replies guys...

@Gnomezilla Maybe I will trade the Shenlong crew away, i really love the ten thunders aesthetigue though...perhaps Mei Feng would be more straight forward a master for them?

If you're interested in her, I believe Mei Feng's a good choice, and has a low-moderate learning curve. You can get a feel for most of what Mei does quickly enough by reading her cards, and have a handle on what you can expect from her in half a dozen games or so. She's also dual faction with Arcanists, so if you chose to keep any of your Ramos, Colette or Marcus boxes, she can use their models if played as Arcanists. She's legitimately strong with most of Ramos' crew, by the way.

You mentioned you like characters that can take a hit or two and keep going... Well Mei's not fragile at all, so I think she fits the bill. Her good stats, armour, complete immunity to the slow and paralyzed conditions and her defence trigger + soulstone usage make her capable of of surviving/dodging nearly anything. She can still be killed by assassination type triggers, but then again so can anyone so I don't think that detracts from her tankiness. 

On the offense side of things, while she doesn't go around oneshotting masters, she's adequate at squishing most models and can whip up some nice combos. It's not uncommon to get 4-6 attacks with her in one activation (if you position adequately and land your triggers). I would posit that she's also more mobile than any other master, perhaps even any other model, in the entire game, if you set up her rail network correctly. Turn 1 charges and/or moving across the entire board in one turn for one ap are a very real thing.

The only caveat is that her mobility peaks by including lots of fast constructs and there aren't very many constructs in Ten Thunders, let alone fast ones. You can still play a very mobile Thunders Mei if you infiltrate some models across faction, such as Mechanized Porkchop or a Rail Golem. I only mention this because you say you quite like the Thunders aesthetics, and these choices would diverge significantly from it. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

No one's mentioned Lynch?

He seems a bit complicated but really isn't - for my scrip at least; he gets rewarded for acting last, often meaning your opponent has taken the initiative and leaving Lynch to react. He hits like a truck filled with smaller trucks if set up properly. He works with 10T, obviously.

And he has The Illuminated, who are hard-hitting, decently fast... and just freaking stupidly hard to put in the ground without very dedicated effort and can even then usually choke things in a higher Soulstone bracket than themselves - their defenses are not phenomenal but they have armor, a very reasonable 7 wounds, and can heal 2-4 wounds a turn while still wreaking havoc; they have a scary good charge range.

• 4 weeks later...

I have thought about Lynch as I also like the aesthetics of his crew...thanks all for the discussion....at the moment I am really enjoying Ramos, he is quite forgiving of my play style the only problem is I am a bit too passive with Howard, I have to work on that!

I have picked up MeiFengs crew as well and when i get it painted I will rotate with Ramos.

• Like 1