(No) Apologies to the Black Blood Shaman

mo11usq

So basicaly - BBS puts Infusion on Collodi to grant him Black Blood, and Collodi put PP on BBS. Now, when you put Collodi in the middle of enemy crew, every time he get some damage, first he splashes black blood, than BBS can take 1ap action - and that will be Black Blood Pustule. It dish out next 2 dmg on  every enemy around Collodi, and in addition with a Crow card, you heal him 3 :)

• Like 1

So basicaly - BBS puts Infusion on Collodi to grant him Black Blood, and Collodi put PP on BBS. Now, when you put Collodi in the middle of enemy crew, every time he get some damage, first he splashes black blood, than BBS can take 1ap action - and that will be Black Blood Pustule. It dish out next 2 dmg on  every enemy around Collodi, and in addition with a Crow card, you heal him 3 :)

Adding to this -

Collodi's baked in DF trigger allows him to push 3" in any direction for more effective splash damage on any subsequent strikes, quite a deterant for minor attacks (big ones could force it to decoy the BBS)

Also 'My Will' allows him to spam pustule through the Shaman with + flips, making that 7 easier to hit. Spreading the love through 2 Illuminated can do 4-8 damage to each enemy model within 1", for two to each of them (or none with a single heal trigger), and put them on + to DF and/or Ml (or even ++) for the rest of the turn. Lazarus could add another AP to take this to 10 dmg.

This could be done before with nephilim, but the durability and flexibility of the illuminated makes a much better investment, especially when factoring in effigy buffs.

Black Blood Teddys (regen, 50mm base, push into base contact) and Marionettes (3ss, fast, hard to kill) will also be pretty fun  

• Like 2

I like Mr Rocky Horror Picture Show but at the end of the day 10 stones is a Stitched together and an Effigy.... that's a tough sell.

I've found him to be more effective on the right board. Positioning the plants definitely takes practice and they synergize well with Collodi when you can walk models into them with My Bidding. I usually manage to summon one or two changelings a game (almost exclusively turns 1 and 2) and those are obviously good with Collodi so there's almost a little discount there on his cost. 

When I do use him I'm more partial to the generic emissary upgrade with him, though, then his master specific: getting those positive twists on my Stitched and my Trappers makes me a happy guy. 

If nothing else he has gotten far less use with me since the Mysterious Emissary came out in retail stores as I don't like the model. So 9/10 times it's going to be a Stitched Together and an Effigy (or an Illuminated and a Marionette or something: the options are definitely there) based on that alone before I even look at any other factor.

• 3 weeks later...

First game with the Errata'd Black Blood Shaman.

I feel this crew has the potential to be pretty nasty. Didn't get the opportunity to use it to maximum effect (sticking each illuminated within 1" of multiple enemy models and unloading with the shaman/dopple/Collodi battery), but being able to threaten it can play some serious mind games and get the enemy to spread out/weaken their own synergies.

The plinkyplink dmg of black blood was great, gradually eating away the Illuminateds' enemies, and pustule soaked up some soulstones from Mctavish hastening his end. The Shaman was a bit unfortunate to take 7 damage from a RJ (despite being in hard cover), stopping me from being able to bomb Parker and the Woku, but I think this highlights its vulnerability once it starts getting upfield - which it will need to in order to assist most strat/scheme pools. The pustule triggers were a bit incidental.

I found that the potential power of the BB bomb tactic is balanced by a few things:

1) Spamming pustule requires the AP of valuable models, which will tend to have other important things to do - it wasn't worth doing 2dmg to single models when Collodi could steal enemy AP with his own attack, the Doppleganger had places to be etc. 

2) Spamming pustule requires a lot of 7+ cards, hand draining and risky to top deck with valuable model AP.

3) Armour and SS start to make spamming pustule unattractive.

4) Shaman's movement trick utility is limited without nephilim, crew durability for sustained BB bombing is limited with nephilim. Requires the crew to be built around him (admittedly, less so than before).

Initial conclusion:

New BBS is pretty strong with the right crew composition and positioning (play models well and win? shock horror!!!).
More practice needed.