Marching Orders: Divergent Paths

Chumbalaya

After my offer to hold a Lucius dual faction mirror-match ("may the least worst Lucius win!") for the Man was shot down, I decided to get some mileage out of recent Large Arachnid assembly and declared Arcanists instead. It became a race to cede the 3VP for breaking up the shindig. Which I 'won'. Note to self: have got to get better at tuning out other conversations around the game.

It wasn't until halfway through the next day I remembered I wanted Arcanists to lose the Man as much as I wanted Guild to win him, and that was the entire point of waiting to try out declaring Arcanist until this particular scenario. Of all the things misplaced in this move, I miss my focus the most--although the Avatar of Amalgamation is running a close second place.

To my disappointment, have failed to contest the Child this round, and probably won't get the chance this weekend either.

On 10/15/2016 at 8:52 PM, Parker Barrows said:

Well, to be fair, I'm not going for them to end at any particular faction.

Though I say, take up the idea I posted in the DP board, if you want to focus on the Man. Play Arcanists for the other characters (I want a boxing Tiny Teddy). If they win over there, they can't have the Man either. Dilute their focus.

I am in agreement with you over the kid.  Finishing up putting Marcus and his totem on bases I finished this week just for that very reason *that way I have two masters to choose from for my game over the kid tomorrow*.

Edit: Ended up winning the game but it ended up being a close affair.  A bad RJ flip for damage early on put me on the back burner as I had to pull back one of my big beaters to avoid my resser opponent stealing 6 VP *He had the token on my misstep and I was pretty sure Quick Murder too*.  So Marcus had an up hill fight picking away at the enemy crew as over a fifth of my ss had to avoid combat till turn 4.  In the end a key turn of casting Law of Meat on two enemy models saved Misstep and let me finally tip the balance back to my side.

Edited by EnternalVoid
  • Like 2

There's a topic about all the powers the Malifaux Child can steal (a great resource!) which also underpins which masters would be an awful choice for the Man's scenario which punishes Ca actions with cumulative damage. It precludes taking most of my masters, I'll just say. On the bright side, it also precludes a lot of masters in my local meta, and 'most everything the Arcanists like to bring. On the less bright side again, they also like taking a lot of incorporeal around here. :mellow:

I'm not sure whether I'll field the scrap making engine now that it's finally in place or use the one the scenario provides. Schemes and the likelihood of the Widow Weaver may decide that one.

And *sigh* so close, and yet wrong scenario... :(

13 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

There's a topic about all the powers the Malifaux Child can steal (a great resource!) which also underpins which masters would be an awful choice for the Man's scenario which punishes Ca actions with cumulative damage. It precludes taking most of my masters, I'll just say. On the bright side, it also precludes a lot of masters in my local meta, and 'most everything the Arcanists like to bring. On the less bright side again, they also like taking a lot of incorporeal around here. :mellow:

If only we focused on the Child earlier on. So far it seems Neverborn are gonna get her.

McMourning wanders through the discussion, shouting for Sebastian, but the coroner's assistant seems to have disappeared from the area....along with Ryle...and Envy and Montresor.

At long last, a close win. We both looked at the child's scenario and said 'that's unfair to my opponent' (though it would have been deliciously thematic), looked at the man's scenario and said 'nope', instead choosing McMourning vs. Jack Daw for the trickster. Nurses everywhere. Masters out in left field forced to melee, masters forced to walk (once with Drowning Injustice upon him--that was rough, as McMourning choked on his own blood), scheme runners accelerated, melee beasts tranquilized. Had a red and black joker on a positive flip--at least it wasn't the child's scenario this time.

• 2 weeks later...

*the Malifaux Child rides in clinging to the ladder bolted to the back of a black-enameled large arachnid*

The little mechromancer is almost perfect. She just needs a little more necro in the mix. Something to do with the undead. And, what I never predicted or dreamed could happen, we'll be the ones to give her that gift! :lol:

And here I have these black-and-gold large arachnids and bright two-tone steam arachnids and bronzed brass arachnid (man, I wish my Guild construct paint scheme made me this happy, even though it was executed by a better painter with far better skill) and I'm itching to field them, although Hoffman will never ever need two.

I see a solution.

*fires up the large arachnid buzzsaw with a WHIRR*

I challenge Guild, as an Arcanist, for the man! :P

Well got a win for the Kid with the Guild.  McCabe backed by Grimwell, an Executioner,a Sergeant, and a bunch of hounds managed to take the game.  Kid did not actually come out till turn 4 as neither of us wanted to give the other the advantage on corralling the kid.  In the end it was the Schemes that racked up the VP.  So go for the ice cream cone from Mama Justice!

• Like 1

Yeah. Especially if the Guild does really good with the X.

The Trickster is probably going to Rezzers or Neverborn.

The Arcanists likely have the lead on the Self-Righteous Man, but we don't know how much. For all we know, the Guild crushed their win week while the Arcanists have only barely pulled out the win which means that the Guild are actually winning him. That's probably not the case, but the point is just because the Arcanists seem like they are winning doesn't mean they have already won.

The Inquisitive Child is actually pretty interesting. The Neverborn seem like they have the lead with her, but if they take the Trickster, it really could be anyone. The Outcasts and the Ten Thunders have a good shot, but maybe the Guild have been consistently getting 2nd place with her.

Guild win/Arcanist loss for the Man, an inexperienced Sonnia vs. my not that much more experienced Ramos.

Turn 2 we both had exceptional hands, and I got the drop on him, delivering Howard Langston and two very high rams to his overextended Sonnia's face. Sonnia lived but it cost him six 'stones and almost all his face cards. On the back foot, he switched from killing all the things with Sonnia to simply neutering the casting of Ramos (who had also overextended, hoping to save Hank) and shuffling walls while the rest of the crew made sure spiders burned before they died. It's an odd game where Guild is outactivating a summoner, and he was very pleased to discover Witch Hunt affected all of the stalkers bursting out of deactivated spider carapaces. First time he had an enemy burn to death in the box, too. :lol: