Marching Orders: Divergent Paths

Chumbalaya

I played a Lucius vs Lucius mirror match. Great fun, lots of snacking on guardsmen for the wolf. The random nature of the wolf attacks was extremely frustrating and extremely funny at the same time :) The ability to put markers down without ending activations near the wolf is great for Lucius. Two random nobodys and Lucius can easily score 3VP in a turn without risking attacks. Lucius obeys them in and triggers for placing a marker (if they're not already close), then he Lackey's out of there so he can place a marker closer than interacts allow and gets the hell out of dodge to avoid wolf attacks. Just make sure the model you trade places with has already activated so you don't mess things up later.

I feel a lot of theses scenarios have been very favourable to the man in the mask. The first week I had the little child safe and sound in my deployment zone turn one since my robots created a chain and Lucius just scared them into tossing the child all the way there without breaking a sweat.

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I played a Lucius vs Lucius mirror match. Great fun, lots of snacking on guardsmen for the wolf. The random nature of the wolf attacks was extremely frustrating and extremely funny at the same time :) The ability to put markers down without ending activations near the wolf is great for Lucius. Two random nobodys and Lucius can easily score 3VP in a turn without risking attacks. Lucius obeys them in and triggers for placing a marker (if they're not already close), then he Lackey's out of there so he can place a marker closer than interacts allow and gets the hell out of dodge to avoid wolf attacks. Just make sure the model you trade places with has already activated so you don't mess things up later.

I feel a lot of theses scenarios have been very favourable to the man in the mask. The first week I had the little child safe and sound in my deployment zone turn one since my robots created a chain and Lucius just scared them into tossing the child all the way there without breaking a sweat.

Yeah, the child was holding Lucius' hand by end of turn two in my deployment zone. I won by a land slide. I liked the image of the tall mimic gently guiding the child to guild "safety". 

• Like 3

While I still can't report a win, a close loss for the trickster was a: a near miracle against Reva b: still loads better than I managed for the child. McMourning injected people around while tying up the central knot of shieldbearers, Sebastian dumped AP to the spellcaster for scoring, the performer enticed the nurse upfield (but then black jokered it against Francisco--if Colette ever finds out she failed to seduce an Ortega, she's fired), and the austringer handed out his usual irritating orders. It was peculiar but it got the job done. Style points to McMourning for, perfectly legally, on the clock, picking up a corpse (austringer) and handing it off to his new assistant so she could deal with it.

This week I only get to play 2 scenarios. I lost spare parts against Rasputina and won the child Vs. Parker. I'm using Perdita, as that's who I use in the league.

The game vs. Parker was the better of the two (not just cause I won) but it was pretty crazy. Parker and his movement and interact tricks had the child near his deployment turn one, but I swooped in and obeyed my models enough to push the markers all the way back to my deployment zone by turn two and in a position where Parker and his crew really couldn't do much of anything.

Of the three, I personally want the child to be won by guild, but it doesn't look like it's really happening. I imagine Arcanists went for the trickster and the tone I get on here is that people REALLY want the beast lawyer.

1 hour ago, DoltishKiller said:

Now comes the hard question. With the Guild winning the man in week two, do I keep pushing his Guild result and make him a legal thug or do I play for Neverborn to have him sign a contract with the Governor's Secretary?

Neverborn. The Guild have started him on a path, but the Neverborn are needed to solidify him as a Werelawyer :D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DoltishKiller said:

Now comes the hard question. With the Guild winning the man in week two, do I keep pushing his Guild result and make him a legal thug or do I play for Neverborn to have him sign a contract with the Governor's Secretary?

What you do is you play against Neverborn not as Neverborn, so win or lose you get what you want. Which is why I'm going to go against the Ten Thunders instead. Mimic is nice but control collar capacities are obey-like fun (which don't require a Lucius-level TN).

We're sort of lacking on the cool factor again this week, but I'm happy enough, not so much with the mechanics of the child being swayed toward the Ortegas, but with the mental image of her cussing a blue streak not just in Spanish but in whatever native American language was in use when Abuela was her age. But with that being said...I think I'm fielding someone else this week. Someone whose defense can stay considerably closer to 6, at any rate.

• Like 1

I'm really hoping the Guild get to hold on to the lawyer, because honestly the Man's option sounds very Black Sheep. I know I'm going to be supporting pushing for the Man as hard as I can. I had initially planned to support him for Arcanists, but all of their options for him have been so boring. 

The Child and Trickster options for us this week are similarly pretty boring, I feel. And with very strong showings by the Ressers and Neverborn already for those two, I'd like for us to focus on the one character we've scored at least one week's win on so we don't end up scattering our forces and not getting anything.

For those who want the Man for Neverborn Lucius, just keep in mind you're already winning the Child and since one faction can't win more than one character, its likely the lost guild wins will result in Arcanists retaking the Man and us winding up with nothing.

1 hour ago, Izzinatah said:

Neverborn. The Guild have started him on a path, but the Neverborn are needed to solidify him as a Werelawyer :D

Well, people like Queeg also wind up getting the Black Sheep keyword, and wastrels are basically thugs not all of whom are affiliated with McCabe. But those who are, are basically thugs with official backing doing underhanded things in support of the Guild.

Also if the Neverborn win the prosecutor dies. They eat her! Don't let that happen, you monsters

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

Well, people like Queeg also wind up getting the Black Sheep keyword, and wastrels are basically thugs not all of whom are affiliated with McCabe. But those who are, are basically thugs with official backing doing underhanded things in support of the Guild.

Also if the Neverborn win the prosecutor dies. They eat her! Don't let that happen, you monsters

Yeah. I'm really torn. On the one hand, I'm all for the characters getting as many different factions as possible.

On the other hand, I like the fox prosecutor.

I suppose I could always go two Gremlins in a coat, but I suck with Gremlins......

After seeing the same factions win both weeks for the other two characters, I've started to get worried about faction switching when I had been playing a mix of Arcanists and Guild overall. While its a nice idea, I sort of feel we risk losing out if we don't start to solidify around a character like the Ressers and Neverborn have. Part of that is the ambiguity of the numbers, so its hard to say whether or not theres much of a chance on contesting those. As a result I think the strongest strategy is conservative and rallying numbers in support of the character we have at least one win on. 

If we were seeing more swings in the other characters I probably wouldn't be pushing so hard for the Man to stay Guild. At the very least, we should try to push for anything that might give him a keyword that allows him to be played in our faction (i.e. my wishful thinking of black sheep).

Well, to be fair, I'm not going for them to end at any particular faction.

Though I say, take up the idea I posted in the DP board, if you want to focus on the Man. Play Arcanists for the other characters (I want a boxing Tiny Teddy). If they win over there, they can't have the Man either. Dilute their focus.