Marching Orders: Divergent Paths

Chumbalaya

It's a new event, which means a return of our Weekly strategy session. 

The first set of encounters popped up and we need to figure out the best way to keep the Guild on top.

The Man: Set him on the straight and narrow with the service of the Guild Guard.

The Child: A new witch hunter is born.

The Trickster: A new member of the Ortega family?

The first week is rather exploratory, so for now let's focus on how to win these various scenarios.

Personally, I'd love another Guardsman synergy model, so I'm pushing for the Man.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm not very interested in any of the possibilities. The Trickster woman's story twist seems more interesting than the childs (if only it had been Hoffman instead of Witch Hunter related). I think I might wind up supporting 10T (Child/Lady) and Arcanists (Man) in this first round.

Why am I saying it here? Because I'm definitely happy with Guild as my second choice, and I'd also love to get in some Vassal games if any Guild players want to play a game online. I need more practice with McCabe and Rasputina, and will be pleased whether I win or lose. I can probably only play a single scenario in person, so I'm stuck relying on vassal.

I've thrown down my gauntlets to be pleased with a win or a loss--and not to give the gremlins a chance to score a child's win off of me, because little rooster rider is going to draw some popularity.

Also happiest with the Man for this first cycle of Guild gifts. Unfortunately so are Arcanists. Fortunately I have enough models to field an Arcanist crew (after putting in a honey-do request on those large arachnid legs, because they're arachnids) and not enough practice to reliably win with them, if you'd prefer I take a point off of them instead of scoring a point in favor of us.

And a pistol? A pistol for the child's gift?! I know we're Guild but that is [Rusty Alyce tone of voice] sooooooo boring [/Rusty Alyce].

For me I want:

• Man/Arcanist - Werewolves are cool!
  • Woman/Rezzer,Arcanist,10t,Guild - Her story seems like the most interesting. Rezzer would be good for Guild McMourning as an undead coroner's assistant. Arcanist gets construct potential for Hoffman, and 10t is a concept that is interesting, but I don't know what being an Oiran means exactly. Guild wise I don't think we need another Family model if that is what it means for her.
  • Child/Arcanist,Neverborn - She could be a Pyromancer for Sonnia or make Teddy Bear Constructs with Hoffman. That would be awesome.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hagisman said:

10t is a concept that is interesting, but I don't know what being an Oiran means exactly.

Basically, you walk the streets for money, and also pick up information through pillow talk and other means that gets reported to the 10T higher ups.  Geisha, which you may have heard of, do a lot less streetwalking and a lot more therapy and comforting, though a lot of western media conflate the two.

I honestly want to throw my lot in with Guild for the Man, because it seems like the most interesting plotline.  I was hoping that 10T would let him turn into an upgraded Wastrel, but that doesn't seem on offer, so until I can guarantee something to get him into McCabe's gang, I stand with the Guild for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tris said:

I´m still for the man as it might introduce some actual political influence to the guild and it sounds as if Lucius could get him to cooperate quite nicely, with his newly assigned bodyguard and all that ;)

The Self-Righteous Man has Guild written all over him (I'm also just going to assume that he's from Philadelphia). I'm probably the newest to all of this, but he seem our best bet. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Myyrä said:

Yeah, this event doesn't really need marching orders unless it starts to seem like we might be winning more than one character. Just go out there and win all the games.

It sort of does since it's cumulative total which will win faction allegiance in the end. It's possible to sneak a lot of wins for a character whose first Guild gift is not that awesome and raise the cumulative total for us without attracting attention, this first wave. We should aim to challenge the factions offering the most awesome gifts I feel, both to hide our gains and to drag down their cumulative totals. But it's just that, feelings. I can't do the actual statistical analyses and prove that right or wrong.

1 hour ago, Gnomezilla said:

It sort of does since it's cumulative total which will win faction allegiance in the end. It's possible to sneak a lot of wins for a character whose first Guild gift is not that awesome and raise the cumulative total for us without attracting attention, this first wave. We should aim to challenge the factions offering the most awesome gifts I feel, both to hide our gains and to drag down their cumulative totals. But it's just that, feelings. I can't do the actual statistical analyses and prove that right or wrong.

That's why I said you should go out there and win all the games.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Myyrä said:

That's why I said you should go out there and win all the games.

Yeah, realistically, the only "marching orders" is choosing the faction you want to win.. by playing them.  Well, also winning would help.  But the "coolness" is based per character, and availability of crews for different players to be playing as, ya know?

• 2 weeks later...

No chatting or reports?

Had a game yesterday vs 10 Thunders, which ended up pushing the Child towards Guild. Honestly it wasn't my preferred outcome (not least of which because I wanted to play the Trickster scenario but we wound up just going with the simpler set up scenario and not overcomplicating things). I hope the Child goes Neverborn in this round but hopefully we eventually wind up with her.

Just now, Cinnamon Bear said:

Just for fun and conversation? What did you bring in the scenarios? 

We're playing a shifting loyalties campaign, so I used my campaign crew. I had:

Ryle

Francisco
+Wade In

Brutal Effigy

Field Reporter

Guild Austringer

In the second game Ryle also had metal plate (Armor +1).