Divergent Paths: Ten Thunders Edition

Parker Barrows

8 hours ago, Pyrflamme said:

Actually, the two-week events only decide a win based on the effective wins reported for those two weeks. Then at the end, they total the total effective wins for each faction, for each character, and the faction with the most effective wins will have the character in their faction at some point.

That means it's entirely possible for a well-performing faction over the course of the event, to snatch one of the characters, even if they came in second every week. Just so long as the "winning" factions kept switching off and their effective total wins is below the persistently-second-place faction. 

If a faction is consistently second place they'll never get a model. At the end of the event, whichever faction the model goes to depends on who won the most scenarios.

The outcomes for the week are rather expected, with Neverborn pushing their child hype and Rezzers getting even more freaky-freaky with the Trickster. Still, everyone got the Law-Wolf we deserve, so justice is done. I think it goes to show that the particular storylines for an encounter have a great impact on the zeal that players put into winning it: The first week the werewolf outcome was the best of them all and hyped many to jump for it. The Law bit really pumped up Guild players. Same with the Child and the Teddy bear (who doesn't love creepy kids with Teddy Bears??).
Our best chance to win a character at this point might be the Man as two different factions have won his encounter so far while with Neverborn and Rezzers they have almost ensured they get the character. Well, at least if I understood the rules for who gets the character in the end correctly.
Unfortunately, I don't like the Law-Wolf's outcome this week - sounds too crude for my liking, albeit sufficiently diabolical (Lucuis, you better give him a fun contract!). I would love to do the Trickster scenario as Thunders this time around, though: Taking a skinful of magical monk tattoos is just what the doctor ordered. Ooops :P Oh, and the Child's TT outcome is quite vague: How would that even translate into game terms? Well, a Teddy in a kimono sounds strangely delicious.

2 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

If a faction is consistently second place they'll never get a model. At the end of the event, whichever faction the model goes to depends on who won the most scenarios.

Oh, ok. When I read the following:

" At the end of the event, the Faction with the highest overall score (all story encounters added together) for an individual character will see that character added to their Faction in the future. "

I thought it meant effective wins rather than number of story encounters won. I guess I missed something along the way. If so, that's even more discouraging in a way, now most factions need at least three wins out of...five, right? As pertains to Trickster/Child.

On 28/9/2016 at 2:32 AM, Valgaav said:

Really, what can they do?  They either give us "A monk does something", "An Oiran does something", or something more tied to one of the other factions than 10T, like the Black Sheep or the Darkened.  Monks aren't interesting to most folks these days, and the Master-specific ones lead to the prior frustration about it being Master-specific.  There's not really a good way for us to win, because people seem to be playing and voting based on what they view as 'cool', and that's not us.

This.

One of our difficulties is that none of our events continuations have been really catchy. Even when our continuation could have been cool, they weren't written up that way. For example the TT first week of Self Righteous Man could have been an excuse to add glowing tentacles, but instead it was merely a spiked drink. That is never going to compete with the explicitly stated teddy bear scenario. The Neverborn continuation wasn't hint, the animated teddy bear was clearly on the table.

Three of our nine options have been a monk (woot), and we have only seen one named character – Shenlong. One of ours this week is 'the teddy bear gets a dress'. I mean, really? I suppose this is the Disguised ability, but these sub-par continuations are really not helping the TT cause.

That having been said, even though our events haven't been the coolest, that isn't because they cannot be. For example:

The Child joins The Lone Swordsman as a silent disciple.

Self Righteous Man is sacrificed to the Jorogomu, undergoing a horrific co-joining to a giant spider.

The Child gets to ride a Komainu as a mount.

The Trickster becomes a mother-flipping ninja!.... cough... I mean Torakage.

The Self Righteous Man could be blinded, and join the TT archers as an apprentice.

The Self Righteous Man could get “fermented” with some monks, and learn drunken boxing.

The Trickster could become cursed by Yin to become a Penangalan, tearing her organs out from her body for nightly jaunts in the name of the TT's.

The Self Righteous Man could become infatuated by Lust, and they go on a whirlwind two person steam-violin/guitar tour of the Breach.

The Trickster is chained up as a sacrifice to the Dawn Serpent, who instead takes pity on her and teaches her to breath fire.

The Child's teddy-bear sells her to the Bunraku out of spite, and in a macabre ritual, her limbs ossify into planks of wood as the mad puppets dance her through the streets on strings.

• Like 2

Well a few things:

47 minutes ago, anencephalous said:

This.

One of our difficulties is that none of our events continuations have been really catchy. Even when our continuation could have been cool, they weren't written up that way. For example the TT first week of Self Righteous Man could have been an excuse to add glowing tentacles, but instead it was merely a spiked drink. That is never going to compete with the explicitly stated teddy bear scenario. The Neverborn continuation wasn't hint, the animated teddy bear was clearly on the table.

Three of our nine options have been a monk (woot), and we have only seen one named character – Shenlong. One of ours this week is 'the teddy bear gets a dress'. I mean, really? I suppose this is the Disguised ability, but these sub-par continuations are really not helping the TT cause.

That wasn't even shen-long, that was just a random low river monk, we have seen Aensei Yu and Akami (the bearer of the demon fan).

The man's current option is pretty good (mecha-werwolf, and has some interesting future possibilities.) And I liked the demon-fan potential. Everything else has been REALLY sub-par though. I mean, look at the trickster, she can resurrect herself and the option we are given is to make her a healer? Yeah if means that you will always have a source of healing, but it would more interesting connected to some other gimmicks. Say, wielding one of the samurai's gun's, no need to fear explosions, she'll just get right back up! 

And even then I find that they should try and avoid just tossing the character moves and abilities that belonged to another model. That is why the first round victors won, they were things we had not seen before. 

You are totally right, it was Sensei Yu not Shenlong. My bad.

But there is no shortage of cool new things if that is your preference:

Instead of a fan, the oni encounter could have been hundreds of eyes opening along the walls of the room she was in. No matter where she goes, they stare down from walls and screens she passes. Eventually she sleeps, and awakens to find her eyes gone. Although blind, her eyes have joined those on the walls, and she gets glimpses of strange rooms and distant places (a modified Mokumokuren myth).

Or an elderly hag captures the Trickster and gobbles up her skin, sending her out every day to steal more skin from strangers. (Kokuribaba).

There is heaps of stuff to draw on, is my point. We could have better continuations!

59 minutes ago, anencephalous said:

You are totally right, it was Sensei Yu not Shenlong. My bad.

But there is no shortage of cool new things if that is your preference:

Instead of a fan, the oni encounter could have been hundreds of eyes opening along the walls of the room she was in. No matter where she goes, they stare down from walls and screens she passes. Eventually she sleeps, and awakens to find her eyes gone. Although blind, her eyes have joined those on the walls, and she gets glimpses of strange rooms and distant places (a modified Mokumokuren myth).

Or an elderly hag captures the Trickster and gobbles up her skin, sending her out every day to steal more skin from strangers. (Kokuribaba).

There is heaps of stuff to draw on, is my point. We could have better continuations!

Interesting myth...

But how did her eye's get on the walls? And how would that follow through to gameplay?

I agree that there is a lot of stuff to draw upon, but I honestly feel like that example would end up writing the story into a corner. 

No, there was still the question of what she would do in response to that. 

On the other hand, the outcasts option for the trickster would put her into a corner. She went insane and now follows around Daw...  Now what?  

I expected Jack Daw to be present as a sort of epilogue character, not at round 3/5. 

4 hours ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

Interesting myth...

But how did her eye's get on the walls? And how would that follow through to gameplay?

I agree that there is a lot of stuff to draw upon, but I honestly feel like that example would end up writing the story into a corner. 

Either her eyes allow her to see local stuff, in which case she ignores LOS but not cover. Or they see distant places, in which case all her targets are considered to have soft cover (she blind), but she gets one of those zero point look at the top card/s and sort/discard/put on bottom of deck style abilities. Call it Eyes from Beyond or something.

• Like 1

I played with my usual Self-Righteous Man opponent. He convinced me that a Ten Thunders win would be awesome. And since I was playing the Crossroads Seven, it was easy enough for me to simply call Ten Thunders instead.

Thus, the case was influenced for the Ten Thunders but Wrath and the Brewmaster decided to settle their own court case. In the end, the Crossroads Seven proved victorious, thus winning the case and proving the that music is more important to a party than liquor.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the Brilliance train, baby! I never knew that girl and me were bound by Karma, a Fated encounter indeed.
Which is to say, congrats to those who won us an encounter, the fourth one for the child!
... Aand two other two final TT stories are decent too, but I really, really gotta win this one at least...

2 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Wow was that a surprise! I didn't think the komainu had a chance. But you've helped mold the little mechromancer!

Brilliance will gift her with pretty eyes but that isn't enough. I need more necro to the mechro...

Today - pretty eyes.
Tonight - jiggy tentacles.
Tomorrow - the WORLD?

• Like 1