Divergent Paths: Rezzer Edition

Parker Barrows

The child. Maybe, I'm a horrible person, but the idea of driving the child insane with necromatic power gets me all warm and fuzzy inside. But, I'm curious what other people are thinking.

NOTE: You'll see me posting similar stuff on other Factions' forums because focus-firing on a certain character will likely get one, so I'll be supporting a faction for each character. Thus, my interest in figuring out what character is being targeted by what factions, so I can join the most interesting one. 

Edited by Parker Barrows
Put the wrong box in and then thought I hit the edit button.

8 minutes ago, EnternalVoid said:

Guess I get to be the first to say it; a tad to quick on the trigger there Tex? *Chuckles* Exposing your true colors to the Ressers will get you lynched... then made into a Hanged.

This is what happens when you open multiple windows. And to be fair, what won't get you lynched and turned into a Hanged?

The Rezzers Nicodem killed were the true victims of his power grab. They just wanted to be friends with someone who could understand them. R.I.P. Never forget.

All my games will always be aimed at the woman. I love the archetype, and a practical joker in Ressers at least superficially to me says fear magic is a possibility. I have a weakness for the Phryne Fisher, Jenny Barnes Archetypes, look wise anyway. I assume she's the practical joker in the description. Regardless of what anyone else does any games I get will be aimed at her.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

All my games will always be aimed at the woman. I have a weakness for the Phryne Fisher, Jenny Barnes Archetypes, look wise anyway. I assume she's the practical joker in the description. Regardless of what anyone else does any games I get will be aimed at her.

Love the Arkham/Eldritch Horror reference!

Don't forget Elder Sign and Mansions of Madness, which we basically own all of. Our normal investigative team consists of my wife playing the hobo with a heart of gold "Ashcan" Pete, and me playing Jenny Barnes in any iteration we are able to. We keep hoping the next expansion for Eldritch Horror brings out Ashcan Pete so the duo may continue.

But enough thread derailment. Jenny just got a letter from Isabelle, and will be engrossed in it for some time, while Ashcan Pete is looking for where Duke ran off to. So we need not trouble them for some time to come. 

Back to the discussion on why Ressers should only ever play games targeting the woman. ;)

• Like 1

Here's to hoping rezers (per the icon we got during Nythera, not rezzers) can get it together for a new lady--this one's still warm. In Nythera we had significantly more people playing than were talking on the forums, so we need to rally a bit.

I wonder if the game limitation rule is there also to prevent more active players from playing too large a role? Player participation is always good, but with how the Nythera math worked out, particularly active players could influence trends significantly. Point swings tended to be in the low 2 digits, and with each win valued at 2 points, a player playing 2-3 targeted games per week contributed significantly, while a player playing 5+ targeted games per week carried the faction on his/her back depending on the week and/or faction you looked at.

I second going for the lady--all our female masters are rather somber mooded. I'm excluding Tara because she's more Outcast than rezer, and in the pre-book 3 fiction she didn't seem quite as chipper. 

Don't we already have McMourning and Seamus for less serious tones though? This makes me lean more towards the child, unless, the prankster part of the woman's personality actually comes through in the mechanics like booby trapping corpses or something similar.

Edit: Going off of Fetid's idea what if the Prankster could cause a model to take terrifying tests off of ludicrous things? For example taking a terrifying test to walk by a corpse, interacting with a scheme marker, or even passing terrifying to other models?

3 hours ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

Don't we already have McMourning and Seamus for less serious tones though? This makes me lean more towards the child, unless, the prankster part of the woman's personality actually comes through in the mechanics like booby trapping corpses or something similar.

McMourning and Seamus, while often being the source or focus of a kind of levity, are still horrifying psychopathic murderers. While that should always be the overall tone of the Faction as a whole, having a few more points of contrast would be nice. :)

4 hours ago, benjoewoo said:

Here's to hoping rezers (per the icon we got during Nythera, not rezzers) can get it together for a new lady--this one's still warm. In Nythera we had significantly more people playing than were talking on the forums, so we need to rally a bit.

I wonder if the game limitation rule is there also to prevent more active players from playing too large a role? Player participation is always good, but with how the Nythera math worked out, particularly active players could influence trends significantly. Point swings tended to be in the low 2 digits, and with each win valued at 2 points, a player playing 2-3 targeted games per week contributed significantly, while a player playing 5+ targeted games per week carried the faction on his/her back depending on the week and/or faction you looked at.

I second going for the lady--all our female masters are rather somber mooded. I'm excluding Tara because she's more Outcast than rezer, and in the pre-book 3 fiction she didn't seem quite as chipper. 

Possibly. It also may be to prevent a couple of players continuously playing the same faction over and over again to racket up the points (they may get less than playing a different faction, but they'd still get the points).

On September 9, 2016 at 8:57 PM, Fetid Strumpet said:

Does that matter? who cares what the rules are?

You are using words in a sequence which I cannot possibly comprehend. Fluff we can write for ourselves. The gifts which will become the rules and govern whether or not the model will ever be fielded? Those matter!

Now, as for the deal already agreed--if your gifts will shape the child into more of a mechromancer, then I accept the new little Lovelace as a Resser. Mercenary. If not, then I drag her back to my faction.

On 10/09/2016 at 1:57 PM, Fetid Strumpet said:

Does that matter? who cares what the rules are? I like her art at the moment the best of the three so that's enough for me. 

Agreed fluff+appearance>rules.

That's assuming we get some neat fluff for them.

Personally only interested in the kid being a resser, neverborn have enough creepy kids and they're my main faction for the next few months.

Horror movies and traditional folk lore give us so many excellent options for an undead child or a child that can manipulate the dead.

9 hours ago, Vorschlag said:

Agreed fluff+appearance>rules.

That's assuming we get some neat fluff for them.

Personally only interested in the kid being a resser, neverborn have enough creepy kids and they're my main faction for the next few months.

Horror movies and traditional folk lore give us so many excellent options for an undead child or a child that can manipulate the dead.

Have to disagree about fluff + appearance being greater than rules. If that was the case Wyrd would publish a comic book of the Malifaux universe. Fluff and appearance bring a model to the table; rules and performance keep it there. Or something like that ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

True, but we don't get to see the finished rules at the start, nor have any idea if the rules are actually going to be relevant to us until the end. Those awesome rules might just go to the other factions. For an event like this, appearance of the model or idea of story > rules.

I agree wholeheartedly. Not too much else to say about that lol.

Keep in mind we have to win to actually influence the character. Given how scoring works, factions are encouraged to compete for one model from beginning to end. Given there are 7 factions and 3 characters, assuming an even divide, it'll be a 3-3-2 division. 

Game theory indicates rezers should go for the least popular pick, given our performance in the last global event....may sexism prevail and everyone chase the kid and the man?

There are seven factions and only 3 people, and unless I missed the rule about it, you aren't limited to only doing one encounter every cycle, but only 1 play through each encounter per cycle. Competition for any of them will be hard, and only slightly less than half the factions will get one of them, and every faction can play for all of them each week. And even if you focus on someone it might backfire, because you have to WIN your game for it to actually help. I don't think there is going to be any unity in focus. I personally will play all scenarios if I get a chance (though unlikely) and will focus my personal first game each week on the Trickster. If you prefer the Child, then that is exactly what you should do too. ;)