Desert board

Butch

This summer I had the time beginning my gaming board for malifaux. As I like a lot the western theme of malifaux I chose a desert setting.

My table isn't big enough, so a simple gaming mat would not do. The board should be foldable for storing issues.

All in all it cost araound 40,- € and an afternoon in the sunshine on the balcony.

26372140ei.jpg

26372146jl.jpg

26372148zw.jpg

26372149kf.jpg

Urgh Argh!
26372150wz.jpg[/spoiler]

Thanks for the comments. ^_^

On 9.9.2016 at 7:28 PM, snitchythedog said:

What did you use for texturing your surface?

I used the back of an cast iron rasp. I have one where's a little sharp edge from the mold.

I saw the idea in some forum, the guy there used an exacto. I guess a simple nail would do great: more a scratch than a cut.

Don't make my mistake: scratch it before assembling. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of drybrushing finally the first terrain pieces are completed. Unfortunately I had to paint more layers than needed. But at some point it got to yellowish. And due to the many layers the sand fits not optimal to the board. But I declare the pieces ready for play.

This particular drybrushing was a bit odd: I bought some acrylic paint from an artists shop (120 ml for 2,- Euros) because of the high consumption of paint while drybrushing. But they have a lot of retarder in it - maybe to make them a more oilcolor feeling.
In the end I'm very satisfied with my first terrain.

26905486kz.jpg

26905485gn.jpg

Now, after the practice with the new paint I'll start with the buildings.

• Like 3

Drybrushed some layers on the cottages. They're a little greyish, but it fits well with the desert theme. The last highlight is still missing. And the detail of course.

I'm not quite sure about the roofs. Until now I wanted paint them bright because zenital light. But perhaps they should be darker due to viewing habits...?

26971267np.jpg

26971268zu.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...