Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Black

Parker Barrows suitable master for new player?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, KrazyIvan said:

I find Hans to be pretty terrible in comparison to the Trapper personally. Have both, but have never had a situation where Hans would have been a better choice. YMMV of course.

Consider picking up Johan. He is one of the strongest models we have, point for point, and he can find a place in most crews (Outcast or otherwise).

 

Added Johan to my crew list. He is a formidable looking fellow is he not! Some interesting skill and upgrades as well looking at the wiki :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hans is a favorite of mine :D his 0 cost upgrade is situationally good and he brings a lot of utility. I get tired of facing incorporeal so he frequently makes my list. Also, GG16 favors him as a counter to "Show of Force"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next I recommend getting Strongarm Suit, Lazarus and Hannah- not now, since they are a bit complex models(maybe except Lazarus, but you'll have enough shooting models for start). For me Hannah is one of the best henchman in the game, especially against models with lots of Ca actions(like Arcanists and Neverborn) because of her amazing WP 8, Nether Flux and Counterspell and ability to use Ca actions of ANY model(except friendly leader, unless your master is Von Schill) ad great Arcane Reservoir to draw another card. Lazarus is powerful blast shooting model with upgraded rapid fire- you can target any models in range to perform attacks, so if you kill model with first one the two next doesn't disappear. Strongarm Suit has great tanking capabilities, and augmented jump, just like the Von Schill. 

 

But first thing you should get is definitely Generalist Upgrade deck(at least outcasts from it, so if you have a friend who is playing Malifaux with different faction you can split the deck, reducing costs for both of you).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolfpact said:

I use Johan with my currently (thin) Parker crew. He pulls his weight and then some, and he does sort of fit thematically. Mot outlaw gangs in the old movies have a heavy after all.

 

And I think Big Jake is available now, too? Also thematic and really good for his Stone cost.

 

Bike Jake is another strapping chap. Love the model as well. Looking at the wiki if he is killed or discarded during the game on turn 5 he is reincarnated next to any friendly model. Not a bad little trick that lol

I have started looking at the wiki more and more as I consider models and how they would interact on the table. It's all very interesting especially as the majority of the models are from the "mercenary" faction. Will really help me flesh out other faction crews I want to collect :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cedar said:

Next I recommend getting Strongarm Suit, Lazarus and Hannah- not now, since they are a bit complex models(maybe except Lazarus, but you'll have enough shooting models for start). For me Hannah is one of the best henchman in the game, especially against models with lots of Ca actions(like Arcanists and Neverborn) because of her amazing WP 8, Nether Flux and Counterspell and ability to use Ca actions of ANY model(except friendly leader, unless your master is Von Schill) ad great Arcane Reservoir to draw another card. Lazarus is powerful blast shooting model with upgraded rapid fire- you can target any models in range to perform attacks, so if you kill model with first one the two next doesn't disappear. Strongarm Suit has great tanking capabilities, and augmented jump, just like the Von Schill. 

 

But first thing you should get is definitely Generalist Upgrade deck(at least outcasts from it, so if you have a friend who is playing Malifaux with different faction you can split the deck, reducing costs for both of you).

 

Many thanks, Cedar. The models you mention shall be added to my reading list for this evening :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for hitting some of the models I had in my GenCon purchasing spree... I still need more for options, but I went with models I wanted to paint as I had zero clue about playability:

Parker Barrows and a Fistful of Scrip
Big Jake
Hans
Bishop
Vanessa (more for another RPG character as some of these are dual purpose)

I understand the thing about Von Schill's group, I just don't like the friekorp models as much as I do the banditos.  I'm sure at some point I will get some, but, for now...
I also picked up the two player starter set... which may be my downfall into other factions... though Parker should be a good one to hire Mercenaries he doesn't intend to keep after the job.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to try out the Dead Outlaws with Jack.  Could be fun.  The Crossroads 7 are still his favorite gift from Wyrd ever, though. :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Akodo Harid said:

How about Bandidos? I tried some sample games and, when comparing them against winged plagues, I can't determine when to use Bandidos except for mid range scheming or to feed Parker Shenanigans with Drop it. Thoughts?

I use Banditos in maps with a lot of LoS blocking terrain, like some catacombs/city/graveyard, although I like Freikorpsmann more. I'm not a fan of Plagues, unless you bring something to use it, like Nix or Wretch. Yesterday I used a Performer and Envy as mercenaries together with Banditos. Their Finish the job is nice, but you can always have Sue or oathkeeper attached to some other models for scheme markers. My biggest issue with them is a fact, that they need to discard a card for run&gun, so it limits their usefulness a lot(unless you have something like ace in your hand). To me their biggest benefit is free walk when Parker takes coordinated heist. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cedar said:

I use Banditos in maps with a lot of LoS blocking terrain, like some catacombs/city/graveyard, although I like Freikorpsmann more. I'm not a fan of Plagues, unless you bring something to use it, like Nix or Wretch. Yesterday I used a Performer and Envy as mercenaries together with Banditos. Their Finish the job is nice, but you can always have Sue or oathkeeper attached to some other models for scheme markers. My biggest issue with them is a fact, that they need to discard a card for run&gun, so it limits their usefulness a lot(unless you have something like ace in your hand). To me their biggest benefit is free walk when Parker takes coordinated heist. 

Here's a thought that I had. Maybe you want fewer bandits so that your 0 action can toss the upgrade away for the SS by targeting a non-bandit. I did pick up a Performers box today when I realized how useful they are and may experiment with Freikorpsmann who I like anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Akodo Harid said:

Here's a thought that I had. Maybe you want fewer bandits so that your 0 action can toss the upgrade away for the SS by targeting a non-bandit. I did pick up a Performers box today when I realized how useful they are and may experiment with Freikorpsmann who I like anyway.

It's situational, but you could just shoot something with Parker and use empty the chamber trigger. Performers are great, especially if you take Emissary. I did it once, giving Performer a companion then using weary road + empty road trigger; performer activated afterwards and blown scheme marker for double negative. She and Emissary are giving you so much possibilities for moving enemy models, which is great with crate of dynamite. 

Banditos are(in my opinion) just underpowered, especially if you compare them to freikorpsmann, or for 1 soulstone more, Dead Outlaws and Ronins. Especially last one likes being in team with Sue, for thread the line + seppuku.

Few hours ago i tried Desolation Engine with Parker(against Som'er Summoner) and it was fine- the healing from restabilize trigger kept engine alive for very long time and Parker can (0) him for attack WITH triggers. I was going sort of elite crew + freikorpsmann for schemes, with Parker, DE, Mad Dog, 2x Freikorps, Gunslinger and Doc. Game was great even if i was outactivated. I think that Hannah may be great with Parker and banditos, since she provides you with additional card and Parker can (0) her for strong blast attack with horror duels. Burt or Gracie might be good- Burt for nice combo of crackerjack timing + performer's seduction, and Gracie... well for being just Gracie. I must try Parker with Stick up + Greed for double soulstone drain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2016 at 3:26 PM, Cedar said:

It's situational, but you could just shoot something with Parker and use empty the chamber trigger. Performers are great, especially if you take Emissary. I did it once, giving Performer a companion then using weary road + empty road trigger; performer activated afterwards and blown scheme marker for double negative. She and Emissary are giving you so much possibilities for moving enemy models, which is great with crate of dynamite. 

Banditos are(in my opinion) just underpowered, especially if you compare them to freikorpsmann, or for 1 soulstone more, Dead Outlaws and Ronins. Especially last one likes being in team with Sue, for thread the line + seppuku.

Few hours ago i tried Desolation Engine with Parker(against Som'er Summoner) and it was fine- the healing from restabilize trigger kept engine alive for very long time and Parker can (0) him for attack WITH triggers. I was going sort of elite crew + freikorpsmann for schemes, with Parker, DE, Mad Dog, 2x Freikorps, Gunslinger and Doc. Game was great even if i was outactivated. I think that Hannah may be great with Parker and banditos, since she provides you with additional card and Parker can (0) her for strong blast attack with horror duels. Burt or Gracie might be good- Burt for nice combo of crackerjack timing + performer's seduction, and Gracie... well for being just Gracie. I must try Parker with Stick up + Greed for double soulstone drain.

I wouldn't say the Banditos are underpowered for 5 stones TBH. I think taking one for a cheap scheme runner to secure Leave Your Mark is fine. They can gun down enemy cheap scheme runners pretty well with Run and Gun but that is about it that you can count on. That said I think I will take a Dead Outlaw first, he has some hilarious resilience with Coordinated Heist as well as when parker auto-triggers to make enemies drop their goods the Dead Outlaw heals.

Hannah is decent with Parker for the extra control card and she can copy Dead Outlaws Curse of the Covetous as well. Parker feels like he's always going to be outactivated but rarely outgunned. I generally start a list with Envy because he synergizes so strongly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm convinced that Parker is the 2nd master for me. I love the guy and how mobile he can be.

I was considering testing the Malifaux Child with him to give out pushes, but I feel as if that's simply not enough to kick the doc out (who has been a real hero of late. Like I had a game where Parker was out of sight so I had the Doc shoot Ashes and Dust to deny the full points for Frame for Murder because Hamelin was about to Obey Mad Dog to do it).

One thing I've learned though is either include bandits to get some schemes out so Mad Dog can throw dynamite, or give him Tally Sheet so he can pick on weenies and help Parker get cards.

Edit: Was debating on running Bandidos, Winged Plagues, or Desperate Mercs as my scheme runners with Parker. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2016 at 8:28 AM, Akodo Harid said:

Edit: Was debating on running Bandidos, Winged Plagues, or Desperate Mercs as my scheme runners with Parker. Thoughts?

Badidos are solid for running schemes and pretty cheap. They will eat up your hand if you let them though. Desperate Mercs might have some play but I'd look for other options. Winged Plague are fine for running schemes but have very little synergy with Parker. Plagues are great when Ratcatchers are around though for reactivate.

I've been testing out the Hodgepodge Emissary with Parker actually as my primary scheme runner. The general Conflux upgrade is pretty awesome for additional card cycling and Parker can make soulstones to cover it. Giving Dead Outlaws within 4" positive flips is very nice in conjunction with Mad Dog Brackett's ability to remove cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SinJ said:

Badidos are solid for running schemes and pretty cheap. They will eat up your hand if you let them though. Desperate Mercs might have some play but I'd look for other options. Winged Plague are fine for running schemes but have very little synergy with Parker. Plagues are great when Ratcatchers are around though for reactivate.

I've been testing out the Hodgepodge Emissary with Parker actually as my primary scheme runner. The general Conflux upgrade is pretty awesome for additional card cycling and Parker can make soulstones to cover it. Giving Dead Outlaws within 4" positive flips is very nice in conjunction with Mad Dog Brackett's ability to remove cover.

At yesterday's tournament, I gave the winged plagues a try. They are excellent in interact-with-opponent schemes since they get that free push at the end of the turn. I'm going to commit to testing out the Bandidos in upcoming games and, when there's an inevitable pre-release on dead outlaws and Wukou Raiders I"ll give them a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2016 at 0:46 PM, Akodo Harid said:

At yesterday's tournament, I gave the winged plagues a try. They are excellent in interact-with-opponent schemes since they get that free push at the end of the turn. I'm going to commit to testing out the Bandidos in upcoming games and, when there's an inevitable pre-release on dead outlaws and Wukou Raiders I"ll give them a try.

That's a pretty good call honestly. I believe they would also get positives to disengaging strikes against non-blighted targets? I'll have to give them more of a go next time. I know that I'm loving them with Hamelin as alternate methods of starting Blighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The winged Plagues are fantastic for that purpose. During my down time at my part time job I actually jotted down notes on all the scheme runners (and potential scheme runners) I own. The best part of the positive attack for wingeds is that you dont' have to give blight. Unless you're running hamelin, why would you ever? Take the positive.

Which is also how my Malifaux Child one shotted a raptor. AP 1: Sisters in Fury AP 2: Laugh as I nuke a bird from orbit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information