How Big is the Emissary?

retnab

So I'm planning on buying the Emissary when it comes out next month and I was wondering if anyone who bought it early can share how big the model is (height, width, etc)?  It looks pretty great in my opinion but I've been a bit concerned about how far out those arm blades go since they were first shown.  Do the blades go off the base very much?

Depends where you place the model on the base obviously but yeah there is some overlap inevitable.  The horns while not overlapping the base certainly add to its height and awkward packing dimensions. The blades and horns (although the horn tips are a little delicate) seem fairly solid on the whole and will survive normal handling I imagine but a solid drop will be problematic.  

Overall its a pretty solid bodied model (I'd say the size and bulk in body approximate to the plastic Ice Golem).

The horns are about 2cm long total and extend its overall height by around 1 cm above the model (the head being lower than the shoulders).

The blades are a good 4cm long and the have notable extension behind the model, I'd say expect around 2cm base over shoot.

These measurements are based on approximation and memory, I assembled it last night and am currently at work.

I'll try and take a photo of mine next to some figures to provide scale reference later this evening my time but no promises.  Overall it is large with some protruding blades and horns but these look relatively durable, it is going to be a bugger to transport though in particular because the blade and horn points are very pointy and will insist on catching and hooking foam, fabric and anything else they can.  This is also worth noting on the table top, this model will easily 'catch' on clothing and be lifted to take short unaided table top flights if you and other folks are not careful.

Looks lovely though.

• Like 2

I'm in the middle of assembling mine, and as dancater mentions above, packing it fully assembled will be very interesting. Fortunately, the blades are on secondary arms and like the head assembly has a nice smooth join surface that looks like it will be relatively easy to magnetize (1/16" rare earth magnets, using a 1/16" drill bit) in order to make it possible to pack subassemblies separately (head, blades). I haven't figured out the shoulder chimneys yet though.

Here's some more images, starting with a group shot with Joss and Ramos:

100_2760.JPG

As you can see, the Emissary is quite large. Here's a flank shot (sorry for the potato):

100_2764.JPG

The blades jut out pretty far, but they're attached by secondary arms that happen to have nice flat surfaces in their joins. This allowed me to magnetize it for storage/transport:

100_2766.JPG

I also magnetized the head so that I wouldn't have to worry about the horns in transit.

• Like 1

To have the flat surfaces flush I ended up drilling about 1/8 inch into each arm--deep enough for a column of two of the magnets stacked to fit exactly inside (this is the part that mattered for how I approached this: the hole needs to be deep enough where a stack of two magnets sits inside, flush with the surface).

From there, a tiny dot of loctite on the magnet face that's flush with the arm's join surface followed by putting the whole assembly into position and holding it for long enough for the magnets' glue to start curing. Once the magnet column was sticking to the body, I carefully took the rest of the assembly away and ignored it for a little bit. I then started test fitting the assembly onto the magnets (both magnets on the column) to make sure that it would be where I wanted it.  

Finally, to get the second magnet off of the magnet column and into the blade arm, I put a tiny amount of loctite on the back of it (the danger here was that too much might try to seal the two magnets together, which happened to me the first time; luckily I was able to break the superglue and separate the magnets to try again) and fitted the assembly over it. After a relatively short onset time for the glue to start curing, I carefully pulled the assembly away. What I looked for there was that the second magnet came off of the column and stayed inside the arm, leaving the first magnet on the flat join surface of the body assembly. Then the hard part of waiting for the glue to cure a little longer before test fitting and verifying that the assembly mounts correctly and the magnets hold it in position.

I really appreciated that the other join surfaces for the blade-arm assembles are positioned in a way where I only needed the single magnet column (no position pin, no secondary inverted column to keep the piece from rotating) to have the assembly smoothly fit the whole.

• Like 3

It's a secondary set of arms; upper arms are upper arms, lower arms are mechanical, and the "hands" and the blades. You could replace the blades on the arms and not have noticeable gaps on the model. That would be the conversion route I would go if you're wanting to take those off. Not sure what you might replace the "hands" with to complete the conversion (electric nodes maybe?).