2E Rules and Box-set enough to get me started?

Captain Black

While what you have there will definitely allow you to take your first steps into the game, they will not allow you to play at the recommended level of 50 SS or with full crews led by Masters. I dont recommend, however, running out and buying a bunch of other stuff unless you have a clear idea of what Master/ Crew you really want to play.

The 2 player starter is great at teaching the game in easily digestible bites with each sequence introducing a new topic that builds upon the previous ones. This will provide a good foundation upon which to base future purchase decisions upon. Don't fret however the models in the starter forces are fairly good for their cost and can be played out of their factions.

• Like 1

Starter box actually contains a code to download the full rules.  The two rulebooks you have linked there have the first couple of waves of model rules in them and a lot of fluff, but in terms of rules required to play, contain the same information you get with the starter box.

Not the exact same information, the recommended amount of terrain is higher in the 2 player starter (the free rules manual hasn't been updated to this amount yet).

• Like 1

Many thanks for the info peeps. :) I believe I have read that the rules contained in the starter box are more of  a quick start guide. Enough to get you started that is.

I was wanting the Main rules as I believe they also contain the stat cards, extra rules and lots of lovely fluff & lore :)

As for crews, I am leaning towards Guild, Outcasts, and Neverborn. I have been watching lots of battle reports and drooling over some great painted figures from these factions.

I wouldn't dissuade you from buying the rulebook; its just not necessary if you're looking for the absolute minimal purchase.  It definitely is a good resource for model rules and picking out a faction.  I forgot this changed, but all the rules to actually play the game are available here as well:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/133323/Malifaux--RULES-ONLY-Handbook--2E?cPath=23027_23028

• Like 1

Given you are looking at the Guild and Neverborn the 2-Player Starter is a great way to go. The included models are good but not having to pay their Mercenary Tax makes them even better.

At this moment in time, I am leaning more towards Outcasts lead by Parker Barrows. Then Guild led by Lucas McCabe. Neverborn, I'm still undecided on who would be the best leader for me, a complete novice. Any suggestions?