Divergent Paths - Global Event

Lucidicide

At this point I'm basically assuming the Neverborn have the kid and the Ressers have the woman. It's not that there's no way to pull out of the nosedive, but people are playing games based on what they think is cool, and being shackled with a Ressers-style or Neverborn-style story for whoever you wind up with isn't cool to most people.

But that's kind of the point of the event. It's there to let the community craft the story. If a greater amount of Neverborn players think the kids story is cool and want to keep her going along the Neverborn track, and there isn't enough players from another faction to pull it their way, then she goes Neverborn for another segment of her story.

If Outcasts really wanted the kid to get a blighted Teddy, they could have unified via various means (A Wyrd Place, the Outcast facebook group, these forums, etc) to band together to skew the kids result that way.

39 minutes ago, Valgaav said:

At this point I'm basically assuming the Neverborn have the kid and the Ressers have the woman. It's not that there's no way to pull out of the nosedive, but people are playing games based on what they think is cool, and being shackled with a Ressers-style or Neverborn-style story for whoever you wind up with isn't cool to most people.

Not so. I may have been issuing a lot of challenges, but all but one of my games have been against Neverborn since there's so many of them around there. (A grudging salute to my opponents: while my games against Pandora were absolutely dreadful verging on NPE, they were never the fault of Pandora herself. One more performance like those "positive" defense flips, though, and I'm burning this deck, plastic coating or not.) Focused attacks will just help when the player can't play all three scenarios in the time and must prioritize, and now that some factions have obvious leads, they can be focus fired upon by several others (opponents permitting) to tag them with losses.

Mostly asking this just for the sake of clarity, as I'm sure it'll get asked in at least a few games. For the Trickster's Pain Killers scenario, when treating the marker as a friendly model for the purposes of healing, what other restrictions exist to healing the Trickster? For example, I've seen mention of Chiaki's condition removal, which heals on a trigger. Does Chiaki have the chance to target the model because of the potential to heal, or does the action itself have to be a healing action flat out? Also does the marker count as having any keywords such as Living or Undead that further restrict the ability to heal?

Until I hear any word otherwise I'm reading it as only actions that specifically state "heal target (friendly) model" in their base text are applicable, ignoring anything that requires specific keyword targeting or heals as a trigger effect.

5 hours ago, Bakuriel said:

Mostly asking this just for the sake of clarity, as I'm sure it'll get asked in at least a few games. For the Trickster's Pain Killers scenario, when treating the marker as a friendly model for the purposes of healing, what other restrictions exist to healing the Trickster? For example, I've seen mention of Chiaki's condition removal, which heals on a trigger. Does Chiaki have the chance to target the model because of the potential to heal, or does the action itself have to be a healing action flat out? Also does the marker count as having any keywords such as Living or Undead that further restrict the ability to heal?

Until I hear any word otherwise I'm reading it as only actions that specifically state "heal target (friendly) model" in their base text are applicable, ignoring anything that requires specific keyword targeting or heals as a trigger effect.

Uh, that would be disgusting with Nicodem healing the Trickster (If she counts as Undead).  More over if instructed to "heal to full" such as the Nurses or what not, how much of a value is that counted as?

Many questions to be answered I see :P

Just now, Tawg said:

Uh, that would be disgusting with Nicodem healing the Trickster (If she counts as Undead).  More over if instructed to "heal to full" such as the Nurses or what not, how much of a value is that counted as?

Many questions to be answered I see :P

Given that the Marker has no health track, I'd assume Nurses are nigh useless as "healed to full" is not a numerical value and would effectively heal for 0.

5 hours ago, Bakuriel said:

From the PDF:

The Trickster Marker can be targeted by Actions (and only Actions) that heal damage as if it were a friendly model; assume that it chooses to relent on every such Action that targets it. Perform healing flips on the Trickster Marker as normal, ignoring all other effects. For each point of damage the Trickster would heal, it instead moves 1” toward the Deployment Zone of the model that healed it. Note that the Trickster Marker has no Characteristics.

The answer to "Also does the marker count as having any keywords such as Living or Undead that further restrict the ability to heal?" is "Note that the Trickster Marker has no Characteristics."

Undead, Living, Construct, the station Characteristics, and all of the other words under the model's name on the card are Characteristics.  So, no, the marker is not Living, is not Undead, and doesn't have any other characteristic.  So the only thing it can satisfy is "friendly model". 

2 minutes ago, solkan said:

From the PDF:

The answer to "Also does the marker count as having any keywords such as Living or Undead that further restrict the ability to heal?" is "Note that the Trickster Marker has no Characteristics."

Undead, Living, Construct, the station Characteristics, and all of the other words under the model's name on the card are Characteristics.  So, no, the marker is not Living, is not Undead, and doesn't have any other characteristic.  So the only thing it can satisfy is "friendly model". 

Thanks for that. I completely missed that part of the pdf when I was reviewing it initially.

Are there actually smaller factions? I know the perception is that Ten thunders and gremlins, as newer factions are smaller, but they aren't that new anymore.

A faction playing more games does help a bit in determine the end result, its not just a raw "most wins". And there are quite a few people who aren't looking at this as a faction event, but playing the story to get what they think is the best result for each character each week. Not sure if this does hinder thunders, as they naturally have more than 1 faction to play in if they want to. But I do think it means that any week each character could go anywhere. If it looks exciting enough to make people want it.

I have no idea what the results are like, and whilst I really want to know, I think it is better for the event for everyone to think they have a chance each week, and even a chance at the character despite never winning a story event. 

For the first time since this began, I'm stumped on which factions to challenge. The little mechromancer is locked into a number of equally interesting construct options, the trickster has cycled back to look at constructs once again but she has an arc and that isn't part of it, and the man's scenario penalizes my master pool so badly I may sit that one out altogether (I do not like to depend upon fishing for suits to keep a master alive!).

A bit sad that Thunders and Gremlins can't seem to get a single win in...probably people aren't overly excited by the story arcs tied to the little green fellas (which I admit might be a bit more challenging to come up with, since Gremlins really look like living in their own world). Come on little guys, you can do it!

Overall, I am still reasonably pleased with the results: I'm very happy with the man's story, he looks like he's going to be an interesting chap, and I'm happy Guild got put back for once... The little kid in a way or another belongs to Neverborn, which I'm happy with, but I find her story and possible outcomes less appealing (another doll-maker? We already have Widow Weaver and Collodi!) The best so far, as somebody said above, is definitely the trickster. I am personally happy she got out of the Ressers' grasp, she has some really interesting perspectives ahead of her!

Congrats to the writers because this is looking really really cool!

On 10/18/2016 at 3:27 AM, Adran said:

Are there actually smaller factions? I know the perception is that Ten thunders and gremlins, as newer factions are smaller, but they aren't that new anymore.

A faction playing more games does help a bit in determine the end result, its not just a raw "most wins". And there are quite a few people who aren't looking at this as a faction event, but playing the story to get what they think is the best result for each character each week. Not sure if this does hinder thunders, as they naturally have more than 1 faction to play in if they want to. But I do think it means that any week each character could go anywhere. If it looks exciting enough to make people want it.

I have no idea what the results are like, and whilst I really want to know, I think it is better for the event for everyone to think they have a chance each week, and even a chance at the character despite never winning a story event. 

True, they aren't new, but Guild and Ressers still have a huge following compared to them. And it's true that some of the "Gremlin victory" outcomes might look a bit "forced" and not so appealing.

Overall though, while it would indeed be good for everyone to think they have a chance, I don't think at this point TT or Gremlins have much of a chance to influence the outcomes in a relevant way. :(

• 2 weeks later...

So, now that the 5th round is up I'd just like to say that the Trickster's writing is once again the best of them :) If we could get more looks into characters interacting that would be great, it's neat to see.

On a note about the rules though, I can't remember if this has been answered before or not.  Do the models go to the faction who wins the most games overall for them, or the most rounds?  Now that the Man has been won by the Arcanists for 3 rounds, is he basically guaranteed to be an Arcanist model in the future?